Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How does one select an appropriate STAR/SID?

24 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

No, the STAR is left in unless it is incorrect which would then get replaced by the correct one and issued in the initial clearance or changed while in-flight being a dynamic environment.

I see. Thanks.

mike

I'm assuming I can direct it to read ASN4's weather data so will try that today as I noticed EFB 2's weather did not match ASN4's.  I think I will go ahead and do the one month Navigraph and see how it goes over the next 28 days of trial use.  What's missing I guess is syncing with ATC so you kind of have to use either your own SID/STAR or follow ATC for direct-only vectoring, unfortunately.  Is this a can of worms which leads to another ATC package?  Is there anyone making a good ATC package which also jives w/ Navigraph's SID/STAR data?  That sounds desirable!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I did use the Navigraph software, chose all the add-ons it identified to update the dbases for, located the weather app and all seemed well but in the PMDG 777 the SIDS certainly don't match what's in EFB 2 Procedures tab.  Aren't they suppose to match perfectly?   When I look on the IDENT page on the 777's FMS the shows AIRAC-2014 DEC31JAN28/21.  Is that supposed to mean year 2014 data?  

Nope--it appears to be the name of the cycle perhaps?

Ok, skipped a step of importing into the db builder--all's well thanks!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

AIRAC 2014 is the current one. First two digits stand for the year (2020) and the last two digits are the number of 28 day cycle. This is the 14th cycle released in 2020.

Looks like EFB is not updated. I'd check that.

Yep, that was it thanks emko ;o)

Noel

No responses to this question, which probably means it has answered itself:  Is this a can of worms which leads to another ATC package?  Is there anyone making a good ATC package which also jives w/ Navigraph's SID/STAR data?

The default ATC doesn't tell you what runway you are to land on until you're way past the enroute transitions, I guess they are called, so it's messy to try to use both default ATC, and then attempt to use the various procedures, though you can bypass some fixes in the FMS.  It would be fabulous to have an ATC program that also looked at these procedures and could direct you.  Does this exist?  

Noel

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

No responses to this question, which probably means it has answered itself:  Is this a can of worms which leads to another ATC package?  Is there anyone making a good ATC package which also jives w/ Navigraph's SID/STAR data?

The default ATC doesn't tell you what runway you are to land on until you're way past the enroute transitions, I guess they are called, so it's messy to try to use both default ATC, and then attempt to use the various procedures, though you can bypass some fixes in the FMS.  It would be fabulous to have an ATC program that also looked at these procedures and could direct you.  Does this exist?  

Pilot2ATC does that.  It is update-able by Navigraph. 

You can bypass fixes in the FMS and with Pilot2ATC...first I request direct to <my waypoint> from ATC, and then second, if they approve my request...then I would enter it in my FMS and the plane would fly that new routing.

The only problem with Pilot2ATC, is that it does not deal with AI.   There has been talk at Pilot2ATC to make it AI-aware but I haven't been keeping up with things.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 hours ago, Mace said:

Pilot2ATC does that.  It is update-able by Navigraph. 

You can bypass fixes in the FMS and with Pilot2ATC...first I request direct to <my waypoint> from ATC, and then second, if they approve my request...then I would enter it in my FMS and the plane would fly that new routing.

The only problem with Pilot2ATC, is that it does not deal with AI.   There has been talk at Pilot2ATC to make it AI-aware but I haven't been keeping up with things.

Thanks Rhett.  How does the phrasing and voicing sound?   I assume it must also be concatenated, like it is in MSFS, versus recorded whole phrases as default ATC does in FSX/P3D?

Noel

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks Rhett.  How does the phrasing and voicing sound?   I assume it must also be concatenated, like it is in MSFS, versus recorded whole phrases as default ATC does in FSX/P3D?

you  can purchase  voice packs  or  just   stay  with  the  voice  packs  that  comes  with it,  there  are  plenty  of utubes  out  there  with  pilot2atc   in  which  you  can  decide.  

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

14 hours ago, Noel said:

It tends to use whole phrases.  "...Kingair four-zero-whiskey contact Merida Center on one-one-four-point-three...".   Actually I can't remember if it says decimal or point.  I'm not quite that doctrinaire when it comes to my ATC.

Sometimes you can hear some unnatural flow to the voice, but it's pretty decent.

I would like to experiment with the different voice packs you can download but I have not.  Like a Spanish-accented one for where I'm flying right now.  I had a little problem with the volume of the voices and that part of the config is a little tricky.

Rhett

22 hours ago, Noel said:

Also, I forgot to add, I am able to use Pilot2ATC with both MSFS and P3D.

Rhett

Thanks again Rhett. As you mentioned Little NavMap offers a look at procedures and this should be good enough for my needs, and I proved that both in P3D & MSFS.  The AivlaSoft EFB2 is a really lovely package but more than I need near as I can tell.  Unfortunately it isn't really adding anything for me beyond another add-on to maintain.  Because I use ActiveSky I can look there to determine arrival runways that make sense with regard to wind so I think that's about all I need.  I will take a good look at Pilot2ATC, starting with a good look at videos and reviews--it costs about the same as EFB2.  

Noel

On 1/13/2021 at 6:06 AM, Noel said:

I will take a good look at Pilot2ATC, starting with a good look at videos and reviews--it costs about the same as EFB2.  

The good thing about P2ATC is that it has a 10 day trial I believe so decent time to experiment with it.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Hey Folks, 

Now the nav data in the PMDG birds and Little NM are in sync, but unfortunately P3D v4.5's internal nav data is out of sync.  Should I use FSAerodata for this piece, or is there something better?  It appears FSAerodata is compatible w/ P3D v4.5.

Noel

FsAerodata is paid for (plus you need Navigraph data). There used to be a free option. However I am happy with FsAerodata in P3Dv4.5. Question is, do you really need your internal P3D navigational database to be updated?