Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Installing Both FSX and FSX SE

Greetings all, 

I have FSX SE installed on my computer and I fly with it.  However, I am trying to work on some scenery designs and would like to use Flight1's Instant Object software.  I tired to install it and use it with FSX SE, but it didn't like the some of the files, and long story short, it corrupted by FSX SE install to where I had to re-install it.   I would like to install FSX Gold Edition, and install SP1 and SP2, to use just with some of the scenery design tools like instant object that may not play well with FSX SE.  Is it possible to install both FSX and FSX SE...on different drives... and not have them interfere with each other or with other addons? 

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

2 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

Greetings all, 

I have FSX SE installed on my computer and I fly with it.  However, I am trying to work on some scenery designs and would like to use Flight1's Instant Object software.  I tired to install it and use it with FSX SE, but it didn't like the some of the files, and long story short, it corrupted by FSX SE install to where I had to re-install it.   I would like to install FSX Gold Edition, and install SP1 and SP2, to use just with some of the scenery design tools like instant object that may not play well with FSX SE.  Is it possible to install both FSX and FSX SE...on different drives... and not have them interfere with each other or with other addons? 

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Rich Boll

Rich,
I believe the issue you will find is that you can no longer activate FSX Gold.  I built a new system at the first of August and ran into that issue.  So I migrated at that time to FSX SE.  I have seen others here also no longer able to activate FSX.  I have no experience with instant object so have no idea why it presents issues with SE.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

Thanks!  That might have been the reason I migrated to FSX.  I do have the code for it in the box, but I didn't think it was an issue.   I might still try.

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

The former distributors of FSX:SE, Dovetail Games, had some thorough articles designed for people who wanted to keep both Boxed and Steam FSX.  Basically, you should install boxed first and Steam second.  If it works correctly then boxed's FSX folder will read as "FSX" and Steam Edition's folder will read as "FSX-SE."  Otherwise FSX:SE will take the "FSX" name to ensure compatibility with many add-ons that expect the folder name to be "FSX."

https://fsxinsider.com/about-fsx-steam-edition/

I did the dual install mode for a while but one or two add-ons gave me a hard time so I changed the registry entry to make FSX:SE the sole install.  I have boxed FSX in a separate internal SSD and it works regardless.  I use the boxed edition only occasionally for testing purposes and use SE almost exclusively.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

14 hours ago, richjb2 said:

I have FSX SE installed on my computer and I fly with it.  However, I am trying to work on some scenery designs and would like to use Flight1's Instant Object software.  I tired to install it and use it with FSX SE, but it didn't like the some of the files, and long story short, it corrupted by FSX SE install to where I had to re-install it.

If you mean "Instant Scenery 3", it can be installed on FSX-SE but some features (such as animated roads) require the SDK to be installed. You can use the first version of the P3D SDK for that.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Thanks Tex & John! 

I wanted to use FSX more with Instant Object from Flight1.  I tried to install Instant Object with my FSX-SE install and it changed a .dll file and royally hosed my SE install.  I needed to re-install SE.  I am trying to avoid a similar mistake.  Since F1 has walked away from Instant Object, I'm not sure if there are any options for me. 

Good to know that Instant Scenery works.  I have the FSX Gold Edition SDK installed and it works good with ADE.  Thanks for the heads up on the 1st version of the P3D SDK.  I may take another shot at Instant Scenery, but not let it change that .dll file, or make a back up copy first. 

trying to test the waters of scenery design. 🙂

thanks everyone!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Instant Scenery certainly shouldn't change any DLL files, but it does change an XML file called dll.xml - unfortunately it changes the wrong one! Notes on what you need to alter will be found here:
https://www.simforums.com/forums/instant-scenery-and-fsx-se_topic57036.html

Also, if you need the SDK I referred to, you can find it via this link:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v1-sdk.227/

Best regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

On 1/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, John Hinson said:

Instant Scenery certainly shouldn't change any DLL files, but it does change an XML file called dll.xml - unfortunately it changes the wrong one! Notes on what you need to alter will be found here:
https://www.simforums.com/forums/instant-scenery-and-fsx-se_topic57036.html

Best regards,

John

Hi John!

That's exactly the file that was changed. After it changed, I had bunch of things like FSUPIC no longer working.  Thanks for the information and links!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

On 1/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, John Hinson said:

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

I have the boxed version of FSX Gold, and have installed the SDK with sp1 and sp2.  Is preferable to install the P3D v1 SDK instead to get the features of acceleration? 

Thanks,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS