Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris1973

Amazing Performance In FSX Now!

Guest TransCon

This is truly weird guys.As a test I have installed my new 7950GT 512MB (BFG Tech OC) in my Core2 desktop and now I get amazing performance in FSX. Prior to this I had a 7900GTX 512MB which gave me medicore performance !!!OK, let me qualify this with some facts. Since installing the 7950GT I now get no less than 18-24fps at major airports such as KORD, KMIA etc with all settings just about as MAX and with 75%AI and ground vehicles etc. FSX settings areTarget frame rate set to unlimitedGlobal texture Very HighFiltering AnisotropicScenery as follows, LOD Large, Mesh Complexity 90, Mesh Res 10m, Texture Res 60cm, Water effects High 2.x, Scenery and Autogen Extremley Dense.My card settings are AA set to 8XS, AF set 16X Transparency AA set to SupersamplingGamma correct AA set to ONMy PC is a Core2 Duo E6600, 2x2.40, 2GB RAM, 250 SATA HD. Nothing really special but taking out the 7900GTX and replacing it with a 7950GT has unleashed a new FSX, it's amazing. Perhaps the 7900GTX was not being utilised properly. It also looks like Core 2 is being utilised to a degree, Core 1 is at 51% and Core 2 around 11%. Pagefile usage is around 1.07GB.I don't get it but needless to say, I'm thrilled.

"Nothing really special "well,actually it is.. 90% of us have much less. My Fsx doesnt run well on my AMD 2300xp. But fs9 does.I wonder some things.. why on earth do I get 10 fps with less visuals on fsx and 30 on fs9, with the same plane, same location and weather?I mean, mid air, no hills, nothing fancy, just textures.. the netherlands are flat!.Gonna need nothing really special asap!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE.."The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"Ulla!

Guest Chris1973

The 7950GT is not.The 7950GX2 is a dual-GPU card.

Guest Chris1973

Congratulations on the new card, though I find it highly surprising that a 7950GT is faster than a 7900GTX. Normally, the 7900 GTX should be superior, but nice that the new card works out that fine.We have very similar systems & settings, same CPU, RAM, HD, a 7900GTO here and even the same Nvidia & ingame gfx settings. Isn't FSX beautiful with that hardware?!What software did you use for the C2D utility test?Cheers.

Guess I'll phone up OverclockersUK and ask for Nothing Really Special please... :)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest JIMJAM

I had both cards, the 7950gt and the 7900gtx at the same time and could not tell any difference.I did not do any benchmarks or in depth testing but the good ol eyeball testing.Then again, every benchmark out there shows the x6800 smoking the amd fx-64. I experimented with both and saw little if no difference in FSX.Real or imagined, I take any improvement I can get.

Guest FxF3

My FS9 does not work well but my FSX does. How did you get FS9 to run well with such a low cpu?My FS9 stock maxed out will only get 18 to 23 fps at Seattle. And I have a AMD 3800 and ATi x1800. My FS9 has always been a bear on FPS.

Guest TransCon

JimJam is correct, I simply used the best visual aids I could find, my eyes!I can't explain it as to why the 7950GT (not GX2) performs better but I've had it on test all evening and it's simply amazing. Even at Heathrow I'm getting 15fps!, 30fps plus just as I take off. The test aircraft is a Posky 767-300 painted in 32bit colours by Mr Ed Cox, it looks stunning. Perhaps I'll post a few screenies. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the 7900GTX was getting bottlenecked somewhere in the system. By all rights it should perform better. At this rate I won't need to get a 8800 or 8900, well not yet anyway.I keep thinking that there's something wrong somewhere and that I'll wake up soon and see that my fps counter was fooling me. It's almost as though Core 2 has really kicked in.FSX rocks so does the BFG 7950.