Sign in to follow this  
scott967

FSX --- KSTL ILS is reported incorrectly??

ScottNewBGLAnalyze/ BGLAnalyzeX have always missed certain parts of the Approach code in the bgl. BGLX180/190 can't decompile certain legtypes and taxiway signs.You have to use both decompilers and piece together what each one does not show.BGLX180/190 will always show recommendedType/ Ident in the Approach code including other code but misses CA/CF type legs.Decompile the FS9 APnnnnnnn.bgl with BGLX180 to see I-BKY which is the ILS for 30L. The Approach code in FS9 and FSX did not change except for new /additional Waypoints per Jeppesen.BGLX190 is still buggy with some of the FSX bgl's.AFCAD always reads both the ILS runway properties and then looks for any stray type approach code ILS. KSTL, PHNL, KSNA, and others have several ILS assigned to the same runway end. This is why AFCAD will place 2 ILS symbols on the grid (same runway end) even though only one ILS can belong to a runway property.I agree with Mace that MS should have swap the ILS and the LDA so the MAP mode read the ILS with LOC/GP instead of the ILS (LDA) with just LOC/DME. I am finishing a KATL FSX and have KSTL slotted next. Will swap the Idents when I update KSTL. I uploaded KJAX to AVSIM with XML source code so everyone could see a 100 percent FSX compliant airport. Those FS9 to FSX AFCADs converters that are showing up don't work because only one decompiler is being used.

Good information. Good thread here.Now that I know how MAP mode works, I will dig deeper next time I am doing an ILS approach and things seem strange. I would think, for the CASUAL USER, (which is the user Microsoft has tried to bring into this sim with this new version), that Microsoft would want the glideslope ILS to appear in the map window. But that's just me. :)I do in fact now have the approach plates of KSTL. But I doubt the casual FS user would.I was not aware of another decompiler besides BGLAnalyzeX. I will have to look into this.Incidentally, KSTL (like KATL) has a new runway that is, of course, too new to appear in FSX's default data. It's west of the rest of the airport and it has a tunnel with road underneath it. I live about 1.5 hours from KSTL so I have kept tabs on the construction a little. When the first plane landed on the new rwy they did a big article in the St. Louis Post-Disgrace about it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I am finishing a KATL FSX and have KSTL slotted next. Will>swap the Idents when I update KSTL. I uploaded KJAX to AVSIM>with XML source code so everyone could see a 100 percent FSX>compliant airport. Those FS9 to FSX AFCADs converters that are>showing up don't work because only one decompiler is being>used. Tonight I captured a poly near KSTL's new runway out of Google Earth for use in FS_KML.I am not sure how much of that area near I-270 on the west side of the new area is taken. The Google Earth shot is a little dated and only shows it under const. AirNav has a newer aerial pic which might be of some assistance.Next time I'm in St. Louis I will drive up there and see what it looks like. Used to be a nice plane spotting place just west of 12R.I am going to play around with KSTL's new runway and see if I can't add a background poly for it into FSX.If you're doing something with KSTL then I won't do too much. :) I mainly want to get a feel for the process of using GE, and FS_KML and so forth...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

RhettDraw the poly in GE saving with this tag in propertiesAirport_Backgrounds_Flatten_MaskClassMapThat translates to the {5A7F944C-3D79-4E0C-82F5-04844E5DC653} GUID in fsx_KML.That will give you the correct airport ground texture and remove autogen. Flatten upward in Meters with the elevation tab in GE so it agrees with KSTL elevation.I used that for KATL's ground texture where the new 10/28 runway goes.I-285 goes under 10/28 also but at this time extrusion bridges don't work on taxiway's, just runways. Taxiways always draws the terrain upward. I had to stop the many lanes of road traffic on both sides of 10/28 in Cell LOD13.

>Rhett>>Draw the poly in GE saving with this tag in properties>Yes...JimLast night I was able to create the ground poly, using GE to draw the outline and also FS_KML. I matched the elevations too.Then I used BGLCOMP and using AirNav data I put in the new runway with markings and lighting and approach lights at KSTL. Technically it's a sloping runway but of course I did not do that.It looks good. FS_KML is a godsend and will really open scenery design up to a lot of people I think. Perhaps later I will post a screenshot of what I've done so far.Too bad the GE image is not up-to-date. It does not show the taxiways, etc. Is there any good way you can think of, to where I can map out the taxiway locations?If I used GE to trace them, I'd just be guessing, since they don't show on the aerial photo GE has.>>I-285 goes under 10/28 also but at this time extrusion bridges>don't work on taxiway's, just runways. Taxiways always draws>the terrain upward. I had to stop the many lanes of road>traffic on both sides of 10/28 in Cell LOD13. KSTL's new runway also has a road going under it via a tunnel...Lindbergh Street. I'm not crossing that bridge (no pun intended) right now though. :) If you look at FSX's default KDFW, in real life it has tunnels going under taxiways, but in the sim, Microsoft didn't bother making those. And that's on a high detail airport. So it must not be too easy to do. I'm not even sure if it's possible. Maybe a fake tunnel would do, like a black hole in the side of a hill, with a road leading up to it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>NewBGLAnalyze/ BGLAnalyzeX have always missed certain parts of the >Approach code in the bgl.>BGLX180/190 can't decompile certain legtypes and taxiway signs.didn't know about BGLX190. Any link to it?If I understand, you actually used the FS9 AP9 airport to dope out what was set up for KSTL and are using that for FSX?scott s.

>>NewBGLAnalyze/ BGLAnalyzeX have always missed certain parts>of the >Approach code in the bgl.>>>BGLX180/190 can't decompile certain legtypes and taxiway>signs.>>didn't know about BGLX190. Any link to it?>>If I understand, you actually used the FS9 AP9 airport to dope>out what was set up for KSTL and are using that for FSX?>>scott s>.I can't tell from your post if you were meaning to respond to Jim, or to me. I too know nothing about this "BGLX190".But you asked me what I did to make KSTL's new rwy...I did not use any FS9 tools.I used BGLCOMP, included in the FSX SDK, to make the runway, runway lights, markings, etc. at KSTL's new runway. To do that you have to make an xml file of what you want and then run it thru the BGLCOMP compiler.I used FS_KML to make the background poly from a Google Earth source.I'll post a screen here later tonight of what I did. I need to re-work the background poly and my exclude of Lindbergh Blvd. though.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>>If I understand, you actually used the >FS9 AP9 airport to dope out what was set >up for KSTL and are using that for FSX?>ScottThe other way around Strip out the APXnnnnnn.bgl so AFCAD will read it.Such areas as ScalerTest radiusfreq'sChange Vehicle to Closed so AFCAd will show the ground support tracks.etc.Now the AFCAD will show the FSX airport as a visual graph on the grid. Made all changes and then merged the decompiled AFCAD back into the APXnnnnnn.bglBGLX 190 is buried deep down into a Pete Dowson postGo to post #44 to get BGLX_190.zipGo further down to post #47 and get Objects.zip which is a listing of the GUIDs from the FSX library objects list converted back to the old plain string syntax so that they can be placed with FS9 tools if needed.http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2921 @MaceI use Jeppesen but Airnav charts work for the new taxiway layout. Once you have AFCAD working for FSX add the taxiways and all other airport changes.Save back to a FSX compliant bgl. Las Vegas also has a tunnel in real world and FSX stops traffic on both sides of the runway just like all other airports I checked.

Jim/Scott/rest of you :)After an evening of fiddling, I have produced a very imperfect proof-of-concept alpha-stage KSTL with the new runway. Here's a pic:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162640.jpgIt has some issues right now (I'm sure you can see some of them) but at least now I know how it all works.The biggest oddity is that KSTL's stock taxiways all disappeared on me. Still not sure what's going on there.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Jim:OK, after going through the APX23180 file in hex, I see that in the NAVAID 0x0013 section, both of the ILS records are there for ILS 30L and LOC/DME 30L. Interesting is that the runway record AFAIK only allows for a primary and secondary end ILS. I haven't tried, but I wonder if BGLComp will let you build such a runway with 2 secondary ILS entries? I see tht the only linkage is that the runway record encodes the ILS ident and runway end; all the other data is actually in the ILS record (I guess this makes sense).scott s..

> I haven't tried, but I wonder if BGLComp will let>you build such a runway with 2 secondary ILS entries? I don't know, but I'm about to find out.I decompiled APX23180.bgl using BGLXML and did notice the LOC/DME for 30L as being the only thing listed for 30L. It was in an subsection. It seems the LOC/DME was all that got decompiled. I suspect there is another record (well, obviously it's in there somewhere) that is not getting decompiled, because I did not see the 30L ILS...Anyway I am going to try to put both the LOC/DME and the ILS onto the runway and see if BGLCOMP throws a wrench.For tonight, I was just content porting FSX stuff into AFCAD, so that I can make a few modifications to taxiways at KSTL.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

The structure of the APX file, ist that there is a header with pointers to the various sections. Of interest is the airport data section, and the navaid section. The navaid section contains all the VORs and ILS elements (Note that VORs are also in NVX). The airport section contains the Ident of ILS's assigned to it. It is also possible to set a visual model in the source xml which will then place a sceenry object for the ILS in the sceenry section of the file.BGLXML source code is available, and after extracting all the ILS records, it uses the the ILS idents in the airport records (runway subrecord) to find and pull out the appropriate navaid ILS data, whereas AFCAD is using geo position to find navaids. Thus any ILSs present in the geo position of the airport, but not tied to the runway subrecord are ignored by BGLXML. scott s..