Sign in to follow this  
David B

Still confused on repaint association.

Hi, OK here's is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a repaint that I want to associate with Rob Youngs Turbo Bonanza V3 Mod.

I also want to use the very well done FS2020 AddOns Linker.

Based on what I have gleaned, I would add the repaint texture folder to Robs Bonanza texture folder?

The take the  repaint json file and copy the texture stuff into Robs json?

Then I use that Layout genrator thingy to redo Rob's json.  The repaint json won't matter now.

I then edit Rob's aircraft config, adding the repaint entry to that?    Am I on the right track here?

Or are there some step I may be missing.

Finally, Since I'm using Rob's Turbo Mod, I would just link that airplane?  Or do I also have to link the new repaint as well

This is what I am not too sure of right now.  Oh yeah, how do I have the Turbo mod show up in FS2020 as that named mod?

Thanks for any insight.

Best,

David

Seems on the right track though I do not believe it necessarily has to go in the turbo bonanza folder in your community folder. (in fact it may be better for ease of management if it does not)  Otherwise you could never get liveries to work for default aircraft only for mods.  It will however need a unique number/ID in aircraft.cfg as otherwise the game will just load the first livery it finds with that ID  for the aircraft in question.

I think you could have its own folder with a separate aircraft.cfg that just creates a new model and texture name etc the way that Ryan Butterworth's Mooney liveries do (see one of his his Mooney Downloads for how it works).

https://flightsim.to/file/5366/slate-red-livery-for-carenado-mooney

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

29 minutes ago, David B said:

This is what I am not too sure of right now.  Oh yeah, how do I have the Turbo mod show up in FS2020 as that named mod?

Thanks for any insight.

Best,

David

Cut and paste of basic procedure to have both the default Bonanza and the Turbo variant (originally posted by kaosfere)

1. temporarily remove the turbo mod if already installed

2.  Go to the packages directory containing both your 'Community' and 'Official' folders.  Copy (not move) the folder  Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-bonanza-g36 from there, in its entirety, into your `Community` folder. (if you get a security error just zip the folder into a zip file and then unzip into "community" )

3.rename the copy in your community folder to "Bonanza-Turbo-V3" instead 

4. rename the subfolder community\Bonanza-Turbo-V3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Bonanza_G36
     to instead be             community\Bonanza-Turbo-V3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Bonanza_G36_Turbo

5.  copy (or unzip) your downloaded turbo mod Bonanza-Turbo-V3  folder and all its contents into the community folder. Some of the mod files will want to overwrite some of the stock files you already put there. Allow them to overwrite.

6. Regenerate the layout.json file in the community\Bonanza-Turbo-V3 directory.  If you do not wish to do this manually you will need to download the MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe. (https://github.com/HughesMDflyer4/MSFSLayoutGenerator) and place it somewhere on your PC . Then simply drag the layout.json file onto  MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe and it will automatically rebuild the file for you.

• Upvote 1

Hi Glenn, Thank You for the info.  I'm dense..apologies.

When you say aircraft cfg and unique ID number, are you talking about Robert's Bonanza mod aircraft config?

I'll have to d/l Ryans, maybe that will make some sense to me.  Still confused I think. 

I don't understand what you mean by this statement: think you could have its own folder with a separate aircraft.cfg that just creates a new model and texture name etc the way that Ryan Butterworth's Mooney liveries do

I guess this is what you are referring too, by looking at Ryans layout. Do I look at the aircraft cfg and json, or just cfg.

Good news, even though I'm dense, once the bulb goes off I get it. Being the pilot in me, I will then usually make a step by step checklist.

Then I should be able to rock this thing.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,

David

Re the turbo showing up instructions.  Thank You.

Is there a way I can accomplish the same thing using the AddOns Linker program.

My plan/hope is to only have links in the Community folder.

Thanks again for your valuable time.

Best,

David

2 minutes ago, David B said:

Re the turbo showing up instructions.  Thank You.

Is there a way I can accomplish the same thing using the AddOns Linker program.

My plan/hope is to only have links in the Community folder.

Thanks again for your valuable time.

Best,

David

Basically follow the same procedure but copy and modify the files in the new linker location rather than the community folder.  

The procedure does not create two Bonanza folders it just modifies the Rob one so it can appear as a separate aircraft and not overwrite the default.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David B said:

When you say aircraft cfg and unique ID number, are you talking about Robert's Bonanza mod aircraft config?

If you are adding it to the original folder it already has 9 variations so you would just add something like the following to the aircraft.cfg

[FLTSIM.10]
title = "Bonanza G36 Turbo10" ; Variation name
model = "10" ; model folder
etc
etc

However in its OWN folder instead it would be FLTSIM.0 but still need to be variation 10 or it will overwrite one of the originals that Rob provided (or just be invisible if the original loaded first) but the section will just be [FLTSIM.0]

[FLTSIM.0]
title = "Bonanza G36 Turbo10" ; Variation name
model = "10" ; model folder
etc
etc

I have NOT done this myself so you ill need to test and experiment I may have some of the details of it wrong.

Hi Glenn, Thank You for your patience.

Still not quite sure what you mean by OWN Folder.

Are saying just have a texture folder for those specific repaints.  If I copy the repaint file after unzipping, can't I jsut turn it ON in Linker.

Then it will be usable to the other Bonanzas?   I jsut had one purple scheme I wanted to use on Robert's Mod.

In that case, wouldn't it be better to add that to Rob's Turbo Bonanza mod aircraft cfg?  Copying the repaint folder into

the linker should work I believe. Or am I even more dense and confused now.

Thank You

Best,

David

33 minutes ago, David B said:

Hi Glenn, Thank You for your patience.

Still not quite sure what you mean by OWN Folder.

Are saying just have a texture folder for those specific repaints.  If I copy the repaint file after unzipping, can't I jsut turn it ON in Linker.

Then it will be usable to the other Bonanzas?   I jsut had one purple scheme I wanted to use on Robert's Mod.

In that case, wouldn't it be better to add that to Rob's Turbo Bonanza mod aircraft cfg?  Copying the repaint folder into

the linker should work I believe. Or am I even more dense and confused now.

Thank You

Best,

David

The only reason to have a separate folder with your repaints is it makes it easier for you if Rob updates the bonanza mod with changes to aircraft.cfg.

Providing he has not added more liveries your separate repaint folder should keep working. (whereas if you put your repaints in Rob's folder you would need to add your repaint variation details back into the revised Rob updated aircraft.cfg manually to get your repaints back)

Either way you choose  to do it will work fine providing you give each of your aircraft repaints a new unique variation number etc etc that does not conflict with an existing livery.