Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Blackbox Simulations A340 Quito takeoff.. a cautionary tale!

A post on the official BBS Widebodies forum last month alerted me to this issue. Yes, I still visit that forum in the forlorn hope that I as a Widebody Prologue user can somehow help the lost souls with my limited knowledge who wander by and post up a query! :dry:

Someone posted that they cannot get the A340-300 off the deck at SEQM even when setting pax and fuel loads to ridiculously small amounts..

I tried this and the takeoff was.... problematic... :unsure:. I used the (excellent IMHO) BBS Pre Flight Manager to send pax and fuel calculations for my flight (SEQM to LFPG) to the A340 in the sim. I think I had just over half capacity on the passengers. No cargo, just auto calculated the baggage. The manager suggested 4.9 degrees of up trim which I used.

It was strange that SEQM doesn't come up in the list of airports in the Manager, despite me having an up to date Navigraph subscription. I fudged the manager by calling up another airport in Ecuador which did appear in the list. Another strange thing is that the MCDU has an orange "nav data upgrade" message when aligning the ILS. I wonder if this is due to me using a freeware SEQM add-on airport??

I elected to go "full send" MAN TOGA on the throttles (no flex set). FWIW, N1 was running at over 97%.  I found out that after a few attempts :blink: that the only was to successfully get her in the air was to demolish some of the approach lighting! V1 came up far too late down the runway to contemplate about successfully stopping. I rotated at V1 and heard a few tyre screech noises as she vainly tried to fly until I gained a couple more knots airspeed.. A very gentle climb away then ensued (a few hundred fpm) and she did manage to accelerate to 250 knots and beyond after cleaning her up. The occasional TERRAIN warning, not to mention the view out of the front window was a bit worrying :laugh:

To clarify we are talking about the new Quito airport, the one which is only about 7500 feet ASL...

Perhaps the BBS A340-300 is a tad underpowered compared to the real ones which do/did in fact fly from Quito:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6RbRB6qpg8

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)