Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Chicago Landmarks (Drzewiecki) and Meigs

Hi all:

Does anyone knows if there's a fix to make the freeware KCGX Meigs airport compatible with Chicago Landmarks?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Well, I'll answer myself. Read a trick days ago to make sure your intended scenery is loaded after another conflicting one and problem solved. I've just added a "z" letter in front of the name of the folder for the Meigs freeware airport, to make sure is the latest to be loaded up by the sim during the start-up and it worked!. This way the Meigs files take precedence (or priority) over the Chicago Landmarks.

By the way, landing at Meigs coming from the north is fantastic. What a combination with the buildings in downtown Chicago!. Very immersive.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Did they fix the issue that was causing CTD's around Chicago, particularly starting at a gate at ORD or MDW? 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

31 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Did they fix the issue that was causing CTD's around Chicago, particularly starting at a gate at ORD or MDW? 

Haven't tried yet from any gate at KMDW (or KORD), but it works well from a runway at KMDW. Will check later and post the findings today.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Well, I'll answer myself. Read a trick days ago to make sure your intended scenery is loaded after another conflicting one and problem solved. I've just added a "z" letter in front of the name of the folder for the Meigs freeware airport, to make sure is the latest to be loaded up by the sim during the start-up and it worked!. This way the Meigs files take precedence (or priority) over the Chicago Landmarks.

By the way, landing at Meigs coming from the north is fantastic. What a combination with the buildings in downtown Chicago!. Very immersive.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks for sharing Ed

Sometimes I miss the scenery library where you could organize add-ons in order of priority but this does the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimmerbz said:

I just tested it and putting a 'z' in front of the Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks file and fired sim up from gate at KORD (FSDT) and no CTD. Going to test again to make sure it wasn't a fluke!

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Cheers, Ed

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, fishn_cpa said:

I just tested it and putting a 'z' in front of the Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks file and fired sim up from gate at KORD (FSDT) and no CTD. Going to test again to make sure it wasn't a fluke!

Thanks!

Darn, tried again and CTD at map like before. I guess it was a fluke...

1 hour ago, fishn_cpa said:

Just to remind everyone that the "z-front" solution is not intended to solve the CTD. It's just to make Meigs visible/compatible with the Chicago Landmarks add-on. As far as I know, the CTDs are being investigated by Drzewiecki.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

1 hour ago, AirlinePilot83 said:

Sometimes I miss the scenery library where you could organize add-ons in order of priority but this does the trick

Probably you know about it, but Lorby-SI used to have a nice tool to help organizing your scenery layers in FSX/P3D (Addon Organizer). Now, a prototype version for MSFS is already available here (scroll down until you find it to the middle):

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Since it's still a prototype I'm using it with caution, but according to the manual, it says you could re-order your community folder to give priority to any scenery of your choice.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

3 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Probably you know about it, but Lorby-SI used to have a nice tool to help organizing your scenery layers in FSX/P3D (Addon Organizer). Now, a prototype version for MSFS is already available here (scroll down until you find it to the middle):

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Since it's still a prototype I'm using it with caution, but according to the manual, it says you could re-order your community folder to give priority to any scenery of your choice.

Cheers, Ed

I didn't know there was a prototype version for MSFS

I will take a look at it

Cheers,

John

4 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Not fixed yet. Crashing here too after selecting a parking spot or gate at KMDW (I suppose it's about the same at KORD, but haven't tried yet). It works well when you depart from a runway. At the DD forums they're still investigating the issue.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

3 hours ago, edpatino said:

Not fixed yet. Crashing here too after selecting a parking spot or gate at KMDW (I suppose it's about the same at KORD, but haven't tried yet). It works well when you depart from a runway. At the DD forums they're still investigating the issue.

Cheers, Ed

Does the Chicago Landmarks scenery include content for MDW and ORD, or are you using FSDT ORD, or are they stock? I'm dying to buy Chicago Landmarks, but I really want to get it on sale. I bought KCGX pro (have landed there many X's IRL, last time was day before 9/11, and we were actually on the way there again ON 9/11 and had to land at Goshen after nationwide groundstop was ordered) I can tell you that CGX pro is VERY realistic! I also have a freeware for MDW, and I'd be curious how they play with Landmarks.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

4 hours ago, somiller said:

Does the Chicago Landmarks scenery include content for MDW and ORD, or are you using FSDT ORD, or are they stock? I'm dying to buy Chicago Landmarks, but I really want to get it on sale. I bought KCGX pro (have landed there many X's IRL, last time was day before 9/11, and we were actually on the way there again ON 9/11 and had to land at Goshen after nationwide groundstop was ordered) I can tell you that CGX pro is VERY realistic! I also have a freeware for MDW, and I'd be curious how they play with Landmarks.

I've got the Chicago Landmarks and FSDT Chicago, it's the Drzewiecki addon causing the CTD issues. I've tried to spawn at KORD with the default airport and the FSDT airport and still get a CTD, without the Drzewiecki addon installed no CTD's. CTD's also happen for me at Meigs and MDW with the addon installed. Drzewiecki are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it. You also get a scenery glitch near Meig's with the Drzewiecki addon installed which was introduced with the last MSFS patch apparently. If you head over to their website to the forums you can see a couple of pictures people have posted. Personally, I'd hold off buying the addon until they fix the issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andym001 said:

I've got the Chicago Landmarks and FSDT Chicago, it's the Drzewiecki addon causing the CTD issues. I've tried to spawn at KORD with the default airport and the FSDT airport and still get a CTD, without the Drzewiecki addon installed no CTD's. CTD's also happen for me at Meigs and MDW with the addon installed. Drzewiecki are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it. You also get a scenery glitch near Meig's with the Drzewiecki addon installed which was introduced with the last MSFS patch apparently. If you head over to their website to the forums you can see a couple of pictures people have posted. Personally, I'd hold off buying the addon until they fix the issues.

Issues pop up with every new MS patch, default scenery and aircraft included.  I wouldn't let this be a reason not to buy.  Asobo needs to get the base sim code stable or issues like this will keep happening with each new patch release.  The next patch is on target to break a few major things as well and who know what will be affected.  We shouldn't take this out on our add-on developers.  If a patch breaks something modders and developers have went above and beyond to fix the issues.  Over and over again every month twice a month these guys have had to patch their work, it's unsustainable... These guys do it out of a love for the hobby because in actuality is reticules they have to do this.  A more valid statement would be 'don't by FS2020 until they fix the issues'.  We all know how that's going for us...

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2