Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Nvidia Drivers 461.09 (7th Jan 2021) Observations.

18 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I wouldn't bother unless you have a 1080Ti Michael, as I don't think there is anything specific in the release notes in that area. 

Ha, that's just what I have, a 1080Ti, thanks for the headup. (As a sidenote, that EVGA 1080Ti was perhaps my best spent money for flight simulation during the last years.)

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It's good to see that the 1080 TI's are still holding their own these days.

I am very happy with mine for both MSFS & X-Plane 11. It is even better after I got rid of the crappy stock fans and did the Noctua mod 🙂 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

17 minutes ago, pmb said:

Ha, that's just what I have.

Of course :biggrin: Sorry, I missed that in your signature.  I believe the 1080Ti issue was only introduced in one of the more recent drivers, so you should still be alright on the older driver.  

And yes, I agree.  The 1080Ti was the best money I have spent on a GPU.  It still holds up fairly well on performance, it just tends to get a little hotter than some of the more recent cards of course.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Of course :biggrin: Sorry, I missed that in your signature.  I believe the 1080Ti issue was only introduced in one of the more recent drivers, so you should still be alright on the older driver.  

And yes, I agree.  The 1080Ti was the best money I have spent on a GPU.  It still holds up fairly well on performance, it just tends to get a little hotter than some of the more recent cards of course.

Have you looked at the Noctua mod I mentioned above? I will find the link I used

I did this and my GPU temps rarely go above 60. If you are not too worried about the aesthetic look it is awesome, I have a large Coolermaster case so it does not bother me

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

As soon as I saw it I made a note too look it up - thanks.  👍  As it isn't just the heat, it is the noise from my Gigabyte unit as well.  

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Running "4K resolution at 70% rendering scale" is not 4K... 

That's certainly true. But at least on my 55" TV, there is no single doubt that 4k resolution with render scaling at 70% looks better than 2k (1440p) at 100% rendering.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Firstly, I had to download these for my 1080Ti, as it fixes a problem with the screen going black for a second or two (very occasionally, and mainly on the windows desktop and when browsing - never had it in the sim).

I am happy it was mentioned in the notes, as I never knew a previous driver had introduced this problem, and I thought my card was on it's way out! :biggrin:

Interesting. I need to check what driver version I currently have, because for the last 2-3 weeks I have had these black screen episodes happening to me (every time I freak out that it's a CTD!)

On my end with a 2060S, I never noticed much difference when going from one version to another. What has made the most difference for stuttering is using scanline sync in RTSS (or maybe it's just RTSS doing a much better job generally than the NVidia panel settings).

4 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

As soon as I saw it I made a note too look it up - thanks.  👍  As it isn't just the heat, it is the noise from my Gigabyte unit as well.  

Here is where I found it

https://linustechtips.com/topic/926301-2-noctua-fans-on-a-gtx-1080ti-results-updated/

I have had zero issues with mine and I think the fans are only running at 50%

I have a Noctua Air cooler which is awesome, Huge but awesome lol and several other Noctua fans in my case plus the 2 NF 12's on my GPU. Beats water cooling any day of the week

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

5 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

Interesting. I need to check what driver version I currently have, because for the last 2-3 weeks I have had these black screen episodes happening to me (every time I freak out that it's a CTD!)

On my end with a 2060S, I never noticed much difference when going from one version to another. What has made the most difference for stuttering is using scanline sync in RTSS (or maybe it's just RTSS doing a much better job generally than the NVidia panel settings).

Yes, Turps, worth checking them out then.  You can always roll back.  Just because they don't specifically mention the 1060S doesn't mean it isn't affecting them, it could just be nobody reported it.

Yes, as I said in my first post, I though my card was stating to fail.   And I swear by RTSS - frame lock and scanline sync has been a game changer for me!

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richdem said:

Here is where I found it

https://linustechtips.com/topic/926301-2-noctua-fans-on-a-gtx-1080ti-results-updated/

I have had zero issues with mine and I think the fans are only running at 50%

I have a Noctua Air cooler which is awesome, Huge but awesome lol and several other Noctua fans in my case plus the 2 NF 12's on my GPU. Beats water cooling any day of the week

Thanks Rich!   I will look at that in more detail when I get home. 👍

20 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Firstly, I had to download these for my 1080Ti, as it fixes a problem with the screen going black for a second or two (very occasionally, and mainly on the windows desktop and when browsing - never had it in the sim).

Thanks for the heads up on this new driver.  I have an (eVGA) 1080ti also, and I have experienced some...weirdness...lately.   Good too see some 1080ti stuff in the new driver.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

21 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I've fixed this problem under multiple Nvidia driver iterations (including this most recent one) by opening Nvidia control panel ----> Adjust desktop color settings ----> Content type reported to the display (dropdown) ----> Set from Auto to Full-screen videos. 

• Like 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

On 1/7/2021 at 10:23 PM, bobcat999 said:

I am happy it was mentioned in the notes, as I never knew a previous driver had introduced this problem, and I thought my card was on it's way out! :biggrin:

Anyway, I did my usual test run from Sedona to Flagstaff, and everything is still fine - no noticeable performance difference, silky smooth locked at 30 FPS on 4K 70% and high/ultra mix of settings.

Blog tree fix installed (Sedona area looks amazing with this), and looking out sideways at low level at all the trees going past, there was no judder at all.

So all good and silky smooth for me! 👍  If I was pushed, I would say these drivers might be slightly better/smoother, but I can't prove it.  But this is the first time I had the tree fix installed for my Sedona run, and it did seem silky smooth.  As you know though, anyone who expects significant FPS gains from older cards with a new driver is kidding themselves - it just doesn't happen ..anyway, slightly smoother or not, they don't seem to degrade performance in any way on the 1080Ti.

Some other things.  I installed Geforce Experience this time as I want to try the video recoding software.  I checked all my settings, it said it hadn't 'optimised' the game yet (good) and sure enough, not a single one of my settings in game or in Nvidia Control panel had changed (I know them off by heart now! 😁)

One thing I did notice on the optimisation page was that it wanted me to switch from TAA to FXAA - unbelievable!  Do Nvidia and Microsoft really coordinate on this?  It calls into question any driver released that they say is 'optimised' for MSFS.  A lot of the other settings it was suggesting were pure pants also. 

One last thing.  I had really bad stuttering on short final to Flagstaff, but this happened with my previous drivers. This isn't a driver/settings issue, it is a sim issue, and after doing a really stuttery touch and go, I flew back to Sedona, which has more complex scenery, and once again it was buttery smooth.

My observation on this is that it has been happening since the runway has been broken at Flagstaff, with the black lines / ruts / steps running through it, so I think this is a bit of a 'thing' in the sim, because I also get this bad stuttering at Sarasota-Bradenton as well now, and that also has the broken runway issue.  One of the steps there is that bad, it actually flipped my C152 on it's back!  :biggrin:

Anyway, it would be nice if someone else could confirm this for me.  So Flagstaff or Sarasota.  It is possible you may not see the stuttering on something like a 3080 if it simply brute-force blasts its way through the performance depredation.  Just to note, I don't get any stuttering anywhere else, even at complex airports - it is just the ones with the broken runways that seem to cause it, so I think this graphical glitch might be linked to this isolated performance issue somehow.  I note that after turning away from Flagstaff and flying for 20-30 seconds, performance comes back to silk smooth again, so I think when the runway ruts are visible (to you in the plane), this is what might be causing it.

I want to stress this isn't an issue of the new driver, I have had this issue going back some time since various runways got broken.

Thank you.

I have an 8700k and RTX2080ti pc with a 4K TV and was running MSFS at 1440p at 100% render scaling. Since seeing your post I tried 4K at 70% render scaling ... WOW, what a difference, it's night and day. Departed from FlyTampa's Las Vegas and I'm getting mid to high 30's FPS inside the A32NX, and mid 50's outside, not far off what I was getting at 1440p, but the clarity is so much better. Still more testing to do but pretty sure I'm going to stick with 4K.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andym001 said:

Thank you.

I have an 8700k and RTX2080ti pc with a 4K TV and was running MSFS at 1440p at 100% render scaling. Since seeing your post I tried 4K at 70% render scaling ... WOW, what a difference, it's night and day. Departed from FlyTampa's Las Vegas and I'm getting mid to high 30's FPS inside the A32NX, and mid 50's outside, not far off what I was getting at 1440p, but the clarity is so much better. Still more testing to do but pretty sure I'm going to stick with 4K.

Glad to hear that. Here too the difference is stunning.

13 hours ago, Turpentine said:

Same here with a 1070... also thought that my monitor or GPU was dying.. but it seems to stabilize after two brief blackouts each time... Wonder if there is a Windows update at the bottom of this..

Bert