Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Need to set up throttle on Thrustmaster for TBM 930

I'm running into difficulty getting my throttle control to work with the TBM 930 Throttle/Reverse Thrust system.  On previous simulators I simply assigned a "Reverse Thrust" key and used the entire throttle range to control it,  I've tried that here but it doesn't work with my basic stick.  No matter what I do, the mid range of my throttle works from Idle-Up and anything even a smidgen below that activates reverse thrust.

I'm using a basic Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro right now, though I have a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS in the wings.

It's going to be bad enough when I set this thing down and try to control the roll-out, but taxiing right now is pure hell.  She'll begin to accelerate on the taxiway and as I gently back off thrust she flips into Reverse Thrust and comes to a halt - then I try to ease forward again and the process repeats.

Any ideas, or am I just out of luck until I install the HOTAS?

Randall Rocke

welcome to the club...

What you may want to try is to set a key to zero the throttle (throttle to min) and then try your reverse key.  Look at your 'dead zone' settings or sensitivities (you probably have already).  Last item is maybe FSUIPC, though I have not been able to get it to work for me.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I got it to work on Logitech Pro Flight Throttles

On the throttle there's a notch for reverse thrust, but it works as a key.

I basically bind that key as toggle reverse, and then the throttle lever functions as a reverse thruster when I increase power. To get out of reverse I just engage that key again. 

Here's how one guy did it. In principle it should work the same for any peripheral.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

2 hours ago, RandallR said:

I'm running into difficulty getting my throttle control to work with the TBM 930 Throttle/Reverse Thrust system.  On previous simulators I simply assigned a "Reverse Thrust" key and used the entire throttle range to control it,  I've tried that here but it doesn't work with my basic stick.  No matter what I do, the mid range of my throttle works from Idle-Up and anything even a smidgen below that activates reverse thrust.

I'm using a basic Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro right now, though I have a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS in the wings.

It's going to be bad enough when I set this thing down and try to control the roll-out, but taxiing right now is pure hell.  She'll begin to accelerate on the taxiway and as I gently back off thrust she flips into Reverse Thrust and comes to a halt - then I try to ease forward again and the process repeats.

Any ideas, or am I just out of luck until I install the HOTAS?

If you have the T16000M you can use the slider to set the reverse (going from top to bottom) and once applied, use your Throttle device (I use the Thrustmaster TWCS) to apply the degree of reverse you'd need after landing.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

On 1/7/2021 at 11:28 PM, edpatino said:

If you have the T16000M you can use the slider to set the reverse (going from top to bottom) and once applied, use your Throttle device (I use the Thrustmaster TWCS) to apply the degree of reverse you'd need after landing.

Cheers, Ed

Well, I can happily state that the T16000M/TWCS resolved all my issues!  I tried your slider recommendation first - it worked once and then wouldn't respond. Next I assigned the reverse thrust to a thumb switch on the TWCS throttle and voila! One press of the button and the throttle moves into reverse mode - press again and it's back to normal.

What all of this tells me is that most people who have a standard joystick would not be able to fly (very consistently) any aircraft with reverse thrust. That's a lot of aircraft - all turboprops and every jet!  Unless the other aircraft's throttle systems are maybe more amenable to key assignments? I must admit that Asobo is emulating a rather unique throttle/prop system in the TBM with its "H" controller - something that isn't going to exist in other aircraft.

Randall Rocke

6 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Next I assigned the reverse thrust to a thumb switch on the TWCS throttle and voila! One press of the button and the throttle moves into reverse mode - press again and it's back to normal.

Glad you got it working!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I bind a key on my joystick to toggle reverse throttle, works fine on my TH Warthog.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Glad to hear it works for someone - must be the design of the stick that matters. The stick this failed on (no matter what button was assigned to reverse thrust) was the Thrustmaster Top Gun Pro. This is a decent basic stick and has limited assignable buttons. Though I already had all buttons but one assigned where I preferred, I tested every one of them with the reverse thrust setting - nothing worked. I then tried programming a keyboard key to it - no dice.

Considering how beautiful the new Thrustmaster T16000M/TWCS is working, they must have set up the output for the throttle sliders differently on these units. The slider on the Top Gun simply pulled down into reverse at the bottom of its range, no matter what. With the TWCS, the sim's throttle stopped at Idle. It would only go into reverse when a button or switch was assigned that function. Finally, the versatility of the T16000M/TWCS and the build quality make its little brother look silly.

Randall Rocke