Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

U.K. style grassfor airfields.

Hi Folks.

I'm looking to see if there is a modification for the grass texture in the sim. The U.K. airfields that I have flown in and out of all use the default grass texture and it looks really strange for the U.K. In my opinion of course. Other folks might like it. Has anyone done 'British grass'?

Regards...Kenny.

1 hour ago, kenny584 said:

Has anyone done 'British grass'?

I did when I was at art college, but everyone was doing it back then, so it was kind of socially accepta... Oh I see what you mean. Forget I said that. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 9

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

I did when I was at art college, but everyone was doing it back then, so it was kind of socially accepta... Oh I see what you mean. Forget I said that. 🤣

It looks like you still have some of your British grass burning away in your mouth on your profile picture Chock?

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 minutes ago, eaim said:

It looks like you still have some of your British grass burning away in your mouth on your profile picture Chock?

Nah, that's a menthol cig; they have a white filter. I have actually got a good story about that feature of menthol cigarettes and how they can look like a spliff, which I might relate here one day. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

White Waltham airfield looked really good in the Alpha & the initial release of the sim.

Then the first world update came along and the grass textures looked awful 😞 ! The airfield was all grass before now it's grass and the grass runways are a lot darker whereas before they all sort of blended in as one just like the real thing.

I am hoping in world update 3 (UK) it gets better.

2 hours ago, kenny584 said:

...Has anyone done 'British grass'?

Yes, its called mud isn't it? :biggrin:  

But seriously now, can you describe what you think it should look like?  A bit darker?  Or do you mean like our short grass?

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Classic. 😀

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Hi Folks.

Chock, I suppose I asked for that!! As a sixties kid I should have known someone might Turn on, Tune in and Drop out. LOL. Seriously, I have the UK2000 Airfields for FSX and I've done some Photorealistic stuff using Google Earth for my own personal use Chock. So I suppose I'm looking for a texture that looks like that rather than the dark green and orange tufty stuff that I see as default.

Far out...Kenny.

• Like 2

Drzewiecki Design used to offer a grass replacement texture exe file as part of their pay products. I use it (not MSFS2020) and it's good. Might be worth searching DD's website (here) to see if it's freeware - I looked but cant see it myself.

Best regards

Rupert

I would think they d be big on Bermuda grass in the UK. Its theirs...

'British grass'.. wow how about 'British weeds' and we need 'British flowers'

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Yes, its called mud isn't it? :biggrin:  

But seriously now, can you describe what you think it should look like?  A bit darker?  Or do you mean like our short grass?

I'd say the look of this add-on would be the way to go.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Hi Chock.

Yeah, that's more like it. I've downloaded a few U.K. airfields from another site but yet to install them. Hopefully they will have a decent texture for the grass. I've enjoyed the banter that my 'grass' enquiry has stimulated.

Hang loose...Kenny.

• Like 1