Sign in to follow this  
KORH Jeff

Has Asobo / Microsoft ever acknowledged heading bug issue

12 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

They could provide their own free utility which uses SimConnect to control the switch positions in the sim and allows them to remain unmapped in the MSFS controls dialog, and which doesn't require complicated setup.

They already have a 'connector' utility that controls the landing gear lights by reading the SimConnect variables from the sim and controlling the lights, so they've already written most of the code needed for such a fix - it's just adding some SimConnect writes instead of reads.

Given that "100% compatibility" is promised in their Partnership video, this is what I would personally expect as a customer.

But they have taken the position of "we've notified Asobo of the bug and that's all we are willing to do".

It's put me off buying their hardware to be honest.

Actually that is true & as they are “partners" we should expect that!

but that doesn’t solve the problem for users with other controllers!

Actually Asobo should provide a seperate joystick utility to connect to SimConnect; that would solve it for everyone independent of the controller manufacture

Edited by Stona

16 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

They already have a 'connector' utility that controls the landing gear lights by reading the SimConnect variables from the sim and controlling the lights, so they've already written most of the code needed for such a fix - it's just adding some SimConnect writes instead of reads.

The guy developing the Axis and Ohs program is going down this path and he's making good headway so I'm watching that carefully but the hardest part of using SimConnect commands is recognising them.  It's mainly why I've stuck with the vJoy+Gremlin solution as you just assign directly to buttons

4 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

Funny that the Partnership video proclaims "100% compatibility" when it's bugged in the stock configuration.

Hello again. Should I post a link here to another topic where you played this out like a 300 lb fish on a 10 lb test fishing line?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

Hello again. Should I post a link here to another topic where you played this out like a 300 lb fish on a 10 lb test fishing line?

Please don’t. I don’t see what relevance it would have. He’s only frustrated, understandably, so I’m pretty sure you doing that would not help 🙂 

7 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Alpha testers have been pounding on this issue since well before release. It honestly boggles the mind that Asobo hasn't acknowledged (at least publicly), much less addressed this bug. @MarkDHI know you did a nice deep dive video on this root cause, but I submitted a similar detailed analysis in Alpha. I guess until more people upvote the bug on the official site, it will continue to be ignored.

Yes, and it is such a simple fix. It is now clear to me that the same problem has been latent in P3D, FSX and (reportedly) FS9 all along, but it was never an issue. To me this seems entirely about auto-repeating buttons and it ought to be such a simple thing to address. This all seems to be legacy code, so they should be able just to tweak their UI to put back the option. Unless, of course, they have relied on auto-repeat for something else we haven't discovered yet 😞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

@MarkDH

Spot on Mark! It's always reared its ugly head for me in my PTT button assignment in vPilot as that used to see the Gear already pressed.  I had to manually edit that file years ago... now it's smarter. I was just the one too stupid to put 2 and 2 together without a pointer.

Best- C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

My main issue with the heading bug (I fly mostly analog C172) is that it really doesnt want to move very well.  I have a simple setup with a mouse, keyboard and a joystick.  I use the mousewheel to adjust heading bug and you have to turn the wheel like mad to get it to move more than a small amount at a time.

I thought I had found a solution using <CTRL> (maybe Shift) plus INSERT or DELETE and it was a solution until one day when the heading bug just started spinning around and around on its own for several minutes.

MSFS has some sort of keypress messaging system problem.  Its a polling thing where the actual state of a key isnt really checked so its assumed to be the last known state (in my fairly uneducated opinion)

I do wish they'd fix it but Ive never had the 10 degree only bug.  for me its the 1 degree only.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, marsman2020 said:

What good is a "Partnership" when you can't get 1 bug fixed that impacts your hardware....the same hardware MS gave out to the "influencers" to generate the pre-launch hype storm.

a failed attempt at success. 

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:51 PM, fppilot said:

Yeah… but he’s right. This issue has been annoying to a lot of us since day one. If you don’t have to deal with it, it may seem trivial. My fat finger opened the MSFS tab for the first time in a few months this morning. Thought I would have a look around over my 5am pot of coffee. The reason for the absence is I’ve been spending what limited time I have to fly in DCS. This is one of the reasons. DCS works, it’s that simple, even with its limited geography. (and carrier ops are a REAL hoot!)

Three months ago I pulled my Honeycomb yoke out of the mix. It’s sitting on the shelf unused. I jump back and forth between DCS, MSFS and P3D like I image most of us who have been flying sims for a few decades do. There simply is no room for both the yoke and the TM Warthog HOTAS along with my 10 GoFlight modules, two monitors and a keyboard arm on my desk.

I get the same 10 degree jumps from the Heading knob on my GoFlight MCP Pro, AND my mousewheel. It seems to have a mind of its own. One day I’ll sit down to fly and it will work just fine. The next day I continue the SAME flight setup (FSEconomy) and I get the 10 degree jumps. It’s not Honeycomb, it’s Bill Gatus of Borg.

A tip of the cap to Stone for the link and info RE: VJoy and Joystick Gremlin. It provided a dive into the issue from very smart software developers and others as to the nature of the issue. I believe MarkDH has it right; there is something else going on.

At 65 and over two decades of constant flight simming I am unwilling to jump through many hoops to enjoy a nice relaxing few hours of flight sim time any more. I use GIT software for my GoFlight modules and after years of tweaking I have them working both in P3D and MSFS. I’m just not going down the Vjoy rabbit hole on top everything else. If Bill Gatus of Borg wants my continued patronage, they will fix it, if not, then that’s that. (There, I guess I told them, what a huge hit to their revenue stream)!

This probably comes across as a disgruntled rant, but the muck to wade through to use much of this new MSFS software has crossed the mouth and reaching close to the nostrils. I just want to sit down for a few hours of enjoyment and “pretend fly” as I can no longer fly in real life, having owned and flown several aircraft in RL.

I have come to the conclusion Bill Gatus of Borg is transfixed on “pretty” rather than “functional”. Nice, but I’ll come back and check in in another 4 months and see if I don’t have to jump up on one leg, rub my belly, pat my head, download this, that and the next doodad, thingamabob or jazzarieeeny to get a simple two hour enjoyable flight from an aircraft with instruments that work. If I’m coming across as a malcontent, please feel free to find that ignore button and remove me from your reading list. No harm done.

Cheers.

P.S. But then I saw the Grumman Goose thread so I’m sure I won’t wander too far. Hope I live long enough to fly it the way Grumman intended. A working Goose and the MSFS visual (and IFR) environment is a true match made in sim heaven. I’ve spent a lot of hours in RL inside of the Goose, as well as the Beaver and the PBY, but I won’t bore everyone with ancient history. An era that’s come and gone.

8 hours ago, Rouzbeh said:

In the latest Q&A they said they have fixed it.

Happy days!  I believe it is supposed to be in the next sim update.

• Like 1

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

FYI We received an update from the community managers that this is still being tested and is now scheduled for world update 4. Kudos to them for communicating and for testing to get it right.  

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
          Memory: 16384MB RAM
          WINDOWS10 - DirectX Version: DirectX 12
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Display Memory: 12183 MB; Dedicated Memory: 4018 MB)

LOL figures they fix it just after I finally broke down Saturday night and figured out how to set up vjoy and joystick gremlin for my Alpha.   Still, good news since it's less software to run then in the end and will certainly make using a Bravo easier once I can get a hold of one.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro