Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

I upgraded from Ivy Bridge i5-3570k vs i5-10600k Comet Lake

TLDR: The red numbers in the jpg are the bottom line percentage performance gains.

I wanted FS2020 but had a good inkling it would most likely be a bit of a mess on release so I waited for feedback before purchasing.

IMO sure enough, seeing how 1/2 done FS2020 currently is, and how it will be for a while, I have not yet purchased it and won't until the study sim tubeliners are sorted.

So instead, seeing as though I have hundreds of $$$ invested in FSX, I decided it was finally time for me to upgrade and see if I can stretch FSX's legs a bit more.

The end result is the below accurate as possible personal benchmarks I have done before and after an upgrade of cpu, motherboard and memory.

Hopefully this is helpful for other FSX owners.

• I've tried to keep it apples to apples as possible.
  • The graphs I now see are upside down, oh well, deal with it. 🙂
  • Both cpu setups were run on reasonable fresh win10 installs.
  • Used 4 distinctly varied scenery/location save points.
  • Recorded 35 seconds of stabilized info with MSI Afterburner.
  • This is bare bones stock FSX retail with Acceleration. (nice to see the MS activation servers are back online, used to have to phone in the code)

50821890847_050d9f3fb7_h.jpg

Important fsx.cfg Settings:

AffinityMask=14
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
WideViewAspect=True
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=1
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
D3D10=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=8
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0
AirlineDensity=100
GADensity=100
FreewayDensity=100
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=100
LeisureBoatsDensity=100
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=5
LOD_RADIUS=5.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=7

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I had an 15-3570K. That thing ran great. I had it OC'd the entire time. I'm getting old so I forget exactly what I had it running at. It was in the ballpark of 4.2 like yours. I thought it was going to give up the ghost early in it's life because I ran it hot (up to the lower-mid 80s°C it's entire life) and there wasn't very good cooling in that system but it just kept going and going until it retired when the 8600K got here. I also ran that one hot for close to 3 years. I'm trying to go a little easier on the 10850K as they are borderline burning up right out of the box. So far, so good. 

Edited by MDFlier
corect splleing errors

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Excellent comparison.  FSX is very much CPU bound. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.