Sign in to follow this  
disco79stu

A320 Cadet Training: Import f-pln without RWY/ SID/STARs?

Hi guys,

just a quick question, in ep11 (time code 13:15) how did you init-request a flight plan without Runways/SIDs/STARs but keep it on the Simbrief-OFP?

When I export a flightplan in simbrief (with Runways/SIDs/STARs, 'cause the system chooses them and I want to have them on the OFP), I'll always have at least the the SIDs pre-entered in the MCDU already when I load/request it.
As James stated, this isn't favorable. He even describes how the system knows where you want to go but doesn't know which runway to use etc., and your video shows requesting the f-pln without the rwy/dep/arr procedures, yet you have them on the OFP route.

Now you can of course export a flightplan from simbrief without procedures (for the FSLabs to load), and then do it again WITH them to have them on the (PDF)OFP. But this sounds inconvenient.

Is there a trick how you can do this? Could you elaborate on how you set this up?

Thanks!
Stu

0vg7GXc.jpg

Hmm I’d love to say there’s a special trick to this but as far as I recall (and we recorded it in May 2019 so it’s a bit hazy) we just used the simbrief importer to pull it in. 
I will have a play with it today and see what happens. They may have changed the import process since we filmed this, but as you say it’s better to import without the runways and procedures. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

30 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

Hmm I’d love to say there’s a special trick to this but as far as I recall (and we recorded it in May 2019 so it’s a bit hazy) we just used the simbrief importer to pull it in. 
I will have a play with it today and see what happens. They may have changed the import process since we filmed this, but as you say it’s better to import without the runways and procedures. 

Allright, well, that's actually how I do it. I create a flightplan in simbrief (which selects runways and procedures as well) and use the exporter to create a PDF (for viewing/printing) and the standard FSLabs option which creates a .txt file in the "Routes", that will be imported when I use the init request function with the callsign (for example EZS12GF_EDDHLFSB.txt). But this will always pre-select at least the departure runway and SID. This has always been the case, so I don't think there were changes to the import function.

I didn't find a way to import a flightplan without the SID/STARS yet, but when I saw you doing it in your video I thought you maybe did something different.... 

There are ways to to this via the CO RTE field and the use of .pln files, but they need to be renamed by hand to get this to work (and you didn't to it this way in your course).

If you figure out how you did it, please tell me 🙂
Thanks!!

Stu

• Like 1

So the only 2 ways I found to do it like in your videos was

1. create a flight in simbrief (it automatically selects RWYs/SIDs/STARs) 

2. hit generate OFP

3. export as PDF (for an OFP with a route including SIDs/STARs "dispatch" suggests)

4. hit "Edit Flight" in simbrief

5. delete SIDs/STARs parts from the route field

6. hit generate OFP again

7. export as FSLabs route

When you now init request the route, it will load without an procedures or runways pre-selected.

OR

3. export as PDF and FSLabs route

4. edit the .txt in the routes folder and remove SIDs/STARs manually. save.

It would be great though if you could select if you want to export the FSLabs .txt without procedures.

Any suggestions still welcome.

Stu

46 minutes ago, disco79stu said:

So the only 2 ways I found to do it like in your videos was

1. create a flight in simbrief (it automatically selects RWYs/SIDs/STARs) 

2. hit generate OFP

3. export as PDF (for an OFP with a route including SIDs/STARs "dispatch" suggests)

4. hit "Edit Flight" in simbrief

5. delete SIDs/STARs parts from the route field

6. hit generate OFP again

7. export as FSLabs route

When you now init request the route, it will load without an procedures or runways pre-selected.

OR

3. export as PDF and FSLabs route

4. edit the .txt in the routes folder and remove SIDs/STARs manually. save.

It would be great though if you could select if you want to export the FSLabs .txt without procedures.

Any suggestions still welcome.

Stu

That does look pretty long winded! I'm sure we didn't do this when we filmed it. I'm not near the sim to check but I'll have a look at it from my side when I get a minute. 

23 hours ago, Airline2Sim said:

That does look pretty long winded! I'm sure we didn't do this when we filmed it. I'm not near the sim to check but I'll have a look at it from my side when I get a minute. 

Yeah.. you're getting the "sandwich" every time in the videos (currently watching ep.14), I really wonder why and how. Please tell me if you've found your procedure... Thanks!

Edited by disco79stu

9 minutes ago, disco79stu said:

Yeah.. you're getting the "sandwich" every time in the videos (currently watching ep.14), I really wonder why and how. Please tell me if you've found your procedure... Thanks!

Hi Stu so I tried this last night and indeed like you I’m getting the whole thing with the runways and procedures. Might be one to ask FSL as I’m stumped. 

We want an empty baguette 😂 

10 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

Hi Stu so I tried this last night and indeed like you I’m getting the whole thing with the runways and procedures. Might be one to ask FSL as I’m stumped. 

We want an empty baguette 😂 

😄  Well I actually brought this up in the FSL forum a year ago, but it was never "solved", although some suggestions were made, similar to the procedures I described above.
https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/24313-simbrief-imoprt-sid-always-pre-selected/

I already accepted it to be impossible, then you guys came along ... 😄

So according to this guy also, the fligplan is aparently indeed normally uploaded without dep/arr rwys and procedures. 

8:40 mark:

I tried several combinations of different export formats and save locations, but there is only the one file format and location that gets imported with the flightNum/initReq (simbrief FSLabs export into the routes folder). But it‘s always reading the full route when it‘s on the OFP.

31 minutes ago, disco79stu said:

So according to this guy also, the fligplan is aparently indeed normally uploaded without dep/arr rwys and procedures. 

8:40 mark:

I tried several combinations of different export formats and save locations, but there is only the one file format and location that gets imported with the flightNum/initReq (simbrief FSLabs export into the routes folder). But it‘s always reading the full route when it‘s on the OFP.

Interesting stuff. I recall Myron in our 777 Program saying that Flightplans would not arrive with all the procedures..

19 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

Interesting stuff. I recall Myron in our 777 Program saying that Flightplans would not arrive with all the procedures..

At this point in time, I just suspect the FSL MCDU just inadvertently imports the Dep RWY and SIDs. Because I noticed that interestingly enough, it is not (fully) pre-selecting the arrival runway and STAR.