Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

REX and fs2020 ATC

Hi guys, debating buy REX for FS2020 as I've used their product in the past with FSX and been very happy with them.  I'm wondering though, I thought I read early on that FS2020 in game ATC ignored REX's weather and continued to use it's own.  Is that actually the case or does it actually recognize REX's weather input now (or did it always and I read something incorrect)?  Tired of in game weather not matching flight planning etc. and also concerned if I start flying on VATSIM that the in game weather is not going to match since I know it uses a model based on real weather and not the actual real weather in the sim.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I use both Weather Force and the default live weather. ATC does ignore the REX weather but not it's own MSFS weather. What you have to do, if using REX, is to ignore what runway ATC picks for you to take off from and go ahead and use the correct procedure for take off or landing. Lately with the A320neo when I use default live weather I follow ATC instructions, but when I use REX, I set up my flight, take off and then open an IFR flight plan once underway. As I get close to my arrival, if ATC doesn't give me the runway I want, I cancel IFR and switch to flight following. Often upon doing that, contacting your airport you will be give the proper runway, if not ignore it. It's a pain in the word-not-allowed but it works for me. 

Lee

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

31 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

is to ignore what runway ATC picks for you to take off from and go ahead and use the correct procedure for take off or landing. 

Just put the correct runway in your plight plan of the drop down menu when you build a flight pland in fs2020. 

jeff

Edited by starstream707

2 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

I use both Weather Force and the default live weather. ATC does ignore the REX weather but not it's own MSFS weather. What you have to do, if using REX, is to ignore what runway ATC picks for you to take off from and go ahead and use the correct procedure for take off or landing. Lately with the A320neo when I use default live weather I follow ATC instructions, but when I use REX, I set up my flight, take off and then open an IFR flight plan once underway. As I get close to my arrival, if ATC doesn't give me the runway I want, I cancel IFR and switch to flight following. Often upon doing that, contacting your airport you will be give the proper runway, if not ignore it. It's a pain in the word-not-allowed but it works for me. 

Lee

Ok thanks for the info. For $20 I’ll probably do it anyway. I was mostly thinking of getting it to make sure my weather is accurate for something like Vatsim if I start using it. I assume it would be good for that. 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

Ok thanks for the info. For $20 I’ll probably do it anyway. I was mostly thinking of getting it to make sure my weather is accurate for something like Vatsim if I start using it. I assume it would be good for that. 

I don't use Vatsim, but my guess is that it will work very well with REX, as Vatsim would probably recognize the accurate weather report and give you proper assignments accordingly.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

6 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

I don't use Vatsim, but my guess is that it will work very well with REX, as Vatsim would probably recognize the accurate weather report and give you proper assignments accordingly.

Lee

That would indeed be correct. The VATSIM weather feed is METAR-based.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

12 hours ago, Midnight Music said:

Lee

I use REX WF but continue to hear reports that MSFS weather has become better.  I believe based on my experience that may vary from world region to region.  But here is the question.  If both are now good weather engines then why would ATC use a different runway for REX weather?????  Just does not add up to an equal sign...  =====  And no way to tell from ATIS/AWOS as MSFS has a major flaw there.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

I use REX WF but continue to hear reports that MSFS weather has become better.  I believe based on my experience that may vary from world region to region.  But here is the question.  If both are now good weather engines then why would ATC use a different runway for REX weather?????  Just does not add up to an equal sign...  =====  And no way to tell from ATIS/AWOS as MSFS has a major flaw there.

MSFS weather has become better but not 100%...it still seems a few hours behind at times.   But I no longer find it grossly out of whack like it was previously.  I have REX but I am finding I use it less and less.  I just look at the precipitation filter in MSFS and make sure it reasonably close to what is predicted and showing in metar.   Winds however are still pretty not as close but livable for me.  However I could see if you were VATSIM it would be much more problematic.

I did pick it up and for example in some testing here locally this morning it was foggy/overcast.  In Sim weather was just a few clouds, REX looked much more accurate.  Weirdly last night it was the opposite.  Though even odder is looking up the airport REX had the correct METAR but loading live weather with it switched to clear skies.  Seems neither are perfect but I'll probably use it for sure on Vatsim, and then pick/choose based on what I see is more accurate for non-Vatsim flying.

You can try the latest beta of REX WF. You can get it from their Discord channel. It may still need further development, but the present beta 2 has a number of improvements. While I had a green LOWI in previous versions, Innsbruck and surrounding had snow after I installed beta 2 yesterday.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 hours ago, pmb said:

You can try the latest beta of REX WF. You can get it from their Discord channel. It may still need further development, but the present beta 2 has a number of improvements. While I had a green LOWI in previous versions, Innsbruck and surrounding had snow after I installed beta 2 yesterday.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks, yeah I rejoined their discord so I might go looking for that.  Figured I should get a feel for the release version first before jumping into a beta.  Not that I have problems running betas, just want to make sure I know the normal behavior of the app first.  I only installed it late last night so I haven't had a chance to even fly with it yet, just kind of check it out sitting at a terminal at an airport for 15-20 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

Thanks, yeah I rejoined their discord so I might go looking for that.  Figured I should get a feel for the release version first before jumping into a beta.  Not that I have problems running betas, just want to make sure I know the normal behavior of the app first.  I only installed it late last night so I haven't had a chance to even fly with it yet, just kind of check it out sitting at a terminal at an airport for 15-20 minutes.

Hi Charles, 

It's non-destructive, and UI-wise you won't notice a difference. Have a go.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

2 hours ago, timest said:

Hi Charles, 

It's non-destructive, and UI-wise you won't notice a difference. Have a go.

Thanks Tim, you saw me over there as Gnathach earlier. Yeah I just meant I wanted to see how it worked before trying the beta but I did download it already so I might just swap it out anyway before flying tonight. 

2 hours ago, flyinion said:

Thanks Tim, you saw me over there as Gnathach earlier. Yeah I just meant I wanted to see how it worked before trying the beta but I did download it already so I might just swap it out anyway before flying tonight. 

Ah, ok 😉 enjoy your flight. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

13 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

LOWI is white for me since the "snow" update and I'm not using any 3rd party WX at this moment. IMHO things are still shifting too quick with MSFS to even consider 3rd party WX....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech