Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

P3D V5.1 Objects through FOG/Clouds Workaround - By LM

For those who are still having some issues with Objects shown through Clouds/Fog in P3D V5.1 (even with the latest HF) there is a work around.

LM provided some information on his forum (Lead Beau Hollis) after I reported having some issues with the EA mode.

NOTE: There is a side effect......please read that thread at LM Support carefully.

LM admitted to have this issue, based on my report (z-bias related and it´s values do cause this). Although lots of 3th party devs are stating everything should and is solved with HF1, it is NOT at the moment.

Links you will find below.

In my case and opinion, I can life with that side effect and so I use the work around.

Link LM Support with reported issue and temp work around:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=141012#p234396

Link Related BUG coming with P3D V5.1 (incl HF1) and wrong rendered 3dmodels viewed at at further distances due z-bias changes: 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136958

Happy landings incl. nice views!

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

18 hours ago, mpo910 said:

For those who are still having some issues with Objects shown through Clouds/Fog in P3D V5.1 (even with the latest HF) there is a work around.

NOTE: There is a side effect......please read that thread at LM Support carefully.

Marcus

UPDATE FROM LM at their support forum - Follow first link in post above

To eliminate the side effect, LM provided new values for the zBIAS/zFighting issues.

Now the side effect is not existent anymore. 

Also all 3d models, which where not rendered correctly when viewing at further distances at them (parts below ground where showed through terrain - VERY noticeable with "Antennas" for example), are now shown correctly!

In my case it eliminates all buildings/objects through clouds and/or fog issues and no disappearing objects while increasing the camera elevation with the in- and outside view (this was the side effect which came with the prior delivered values).

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 6

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Wow Marcus. Many thanks for your hard work !

We owe you a big 🍺

regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

40 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Wow Marcus. Many thanks for your hard work !

We owe you a big 🍺

regards, Gerard

Morning Gerard! Work....? Hobby you mean 😉 

And about the beer.........I appreciate your offer......But without being unpolite.....I prefer a glass wine....

But whatever....Alcohol and Piloting is not a good combination.

I do see LM working towards us and that is a good sign! Some small interactions do make a huge difference compared to complete silence.

So....I will now have to "work" and "join some virtual meetings and workshops" till roughly 14 o`clock! 

Happy landings and till later!

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

55 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Thanks Marcus!

Summary:

Modify from your P3D install i.e. - D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\ShadersHLSL\FuncLibrary.fxh

Line 781 - replace (one line)

vProj[2][2] += ZBias * 4.76837158e-7;

with (3 lines)

float zBiasOverride = ZBias;
if (ZBias < 0) zBiasOverride = -1 + ZBias * 0.03333333;
vProj[2][2] += zBiasOverride * 4.76837158e-7;

Clear out the shader cache (delete folder here %LocalAppData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders)

Cheers, Rob.

This might be a sticky till it is fixed in the next update

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This modification should be use in case of EA on ? 

Since two weeks i use EA off on and i changed this parameter, this morning p3d crash 

Departure eddf R18 sid CIND1A

Frédéric Giraud

2 hours ago, grandfred29 said:

This modification should be use in case of EA on ? 

Since two weeks i use EA off on and i changed this parameter, this morning p3d crash 

Departure eddf R18 sid CIND1A

Good question.

The provided work around tackles 2 issues:

1. Objects shown through fog and/or cloudy conditions
  2. The "view" shows SimObjects parts, only at further distances, which should normally not be visible as these parts are "below terrain level" and therefor covered by "terrain".  With P3D V5 these parts are rendered through the terrain and faulty rendered. 

EA Users and Non EA users:

• Could use the workaround as it will "work around" both issues. 

I did NOT have a single crash. 

If you have CTD proceed as follow:

• Delete the modified file and "repair" your P3D "client" only! Repairing WILL replace the deleted file with the default one incl. default values
  • Or replace the modified file with the default file if you have backed it up
  • Clear out the shader cache (delete folder here %LocalAppData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders)
  • Start P3D and test again
  • If you have CTD, the issue was most likely NOT your modified line
  • If you have no CTD in EXACT the same scenario, modify the line EXACTLY how described and test again (don´t forget eliminating your shaders again!)

IMPORTANT NOTE

I don´t know if this mod/work around may conflict with shader enhancement tools like Envshade! Envschade may conflict when default shaders files/lines are changed?

Maybe someone with Envshade or deeper knowledge can give us feedback on this? @GSalden or @Rob_Ainscough?

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

51 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

What was the side effect that is now “not existent”?

With an increasing camera level (higher up) some simobjects, like aprons, buildings, AI Planes, sheds, terminals, etc. would disappear "under a invisible layer" (ground layer).

This is now not the case.

At the LM Support forum I have placed some pictures about this prior behavior.

THIS IS NOW ELIMINATED and all buildings are shown correctly (=old picture - prior faulty behavior)

yZYrHWg.png

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

This great.   Fixes two of my major gripes concomitantly.

• Like 1

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Thank you Marcus! Feel free to show up for a glass of wine whenever you are in the EDDP area. And it is refreshing to see the increased interaction with the LM developers lately 🙂

I tried it with Envshade and EA off and can so far not see any problems. But with Envshade the content of Line 781 moved down to 821. That might be something to look out for.

• Like 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Who would have thought? such a "simple" solution

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

1 hour ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Who would have thought? such a "simple" solution

Maybe I am a little picky now....but this is most likely not the final solution. It is communicated by LM to be a "work around" until they fixed it with the next release.

I can not say if this provided workaround will taken as the final fix. 

Just to be aware off incase of any future updates. 

Fiddling with the core shaders is not a good way and can cause instable situations if not done properly.

😉

Regards

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png