Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Microsoft Flight Simulator at NVIDIA's CES 2021 conference

The MSFS part of the video was just to demonstrate the fact that the 3080 in a LAPTOP can handle three high resolution screens at once at reasonable frame rates, which is kind of impressive actually.

Though there is a bit of fudging going on, he is tipping his chair back and they are panning about moving the camera to make the flight look a lot more dynamic than it really is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

It's not vaporware, it's in high demand (and low supply) because of covid.

Covid maybe responsible for slow delivery but market availability has been gobbled up by crypto miners and scalpers inflating prices again, I can point to one Retailer on Ebay who has 91 3080 cards listed. Same happened with the 2080 series when released. NVIDIA needs to put a stop to it...

• Like 2

tpewpb-6.png

Nope, it`s a money making machine. A 3060Ti pays off after 80 days according to Toms Hardware at senseless mining. That means 78 RTX 3080 at a price of 799$ at a pay off rate of 80days might produce in the best scenario:

222 000$ in one year..

Of course mining is not existing in the land of San Jose. Oh btw. just noticed, multiply 222 by 3 and you will find a secret message.

Edited by BigDee

Crypto mining on a commercial scale is all about TFlops per kWh . Without crunching the numbers, I suspect the sweet spot might actually be the RTX 3070 with 20 odd Tflops for roughly 200 watts.

However note that as the cards get better bitcoin will make the algorithm more difficult to crack to avoid a flood of bitcoin.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Manny said:

A big nothing burger.

I spoke to my nephew who works for NVidia in San Jose about why I can't find a 3080 or a 3090 anywhere since it was announced and he told me, that's its flying off the shelf.  I don't think even he knows its a big vaporware that NVidia is pushing.

There is an IC shortage.

I like the 3070 laptop.

Bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Oddly -  in Australia the 3090 and 3070 are generally available but the 3060ti  and 3080 have been hard to get.

My 3070 was shipped the same day i ordered it. 

Cards I can buy right now for immediate same day shipping from my main supplier (prices are Aussie Dollars not US Dollars):

EQi1jYO.jpg

The way video card pricing is going it will soon be cheaper to fly a real airplane.

• Like 4

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

7 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

...However note that as the cards get better bitcoin will make the algorithm more difficult to crack to avoid a flood of bitcoin.

That’s for Ethereum, not Bitcoin. Still disgusting, though.

• Upvote 1

This might be good PR for Nvidia, but who’s actually going to buy those laptops? Probably be cheaper to build a 3000 series PC, plus a normal laptop.

6 hours ago, somiller said:

The way video card pricing is going it will soon be cheaper to fly a real airplane.

ummh ... no 😄

typical running costs of a TBM 930 are $1100 an hour wet .

https://www.aircraftcostcalculator.com/AircraftOperatingCosts/680/Socata+TBM+930+#:~:text=Based on 450 annual owner,down to %241%2C106.70 per hour.

Based on 450 annual owner-operated hours and $4.25-per-gallon fuel cost, the SOCATA TBM 930 has total variable costs of $354,037.50, total fixed costs of $143,979.00, and an annual budget of $498,016.50. This breaks down to $1,106.70 per hour.

Or you could rent one for 1350 Euro ($US1600)  per hour:

https://en.lavionprive.fr/rent/daher_socata_tbm_930

6 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

ummh ... no 😄

typical running costs of a TBM 930 are $1100 an hour wet .

Or you could rent one for 1350 Euro ($US1600)  per hour:

https://en.lavionprive.fr/rent/daher_socata_tbm_930

That's why the Cessna 172 is the best selling GA aircraft and not the TBM 930. Using a Ferrari as a reference isn't what I had in mind, and I'm guessing most (except for you) understood that.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 1/12/2021 at 10:28 PM, Manny said:

A big nothing burger.

I spoke to my nephew who works for NVidia in San Jose about why I can't find a 3080 or a 3090 anywhere since it was announced and he told me, that's its flying off the shelf.  I don't think even he knows its a big vaporware that NVidia is pushing.

Update:

https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview/

Flying off the shelf. Sure. 13% of all orders delivered. Either Nvidia is earning its cash on miners or they can`t admit they have somehow failed. Either way, regular retailers selling a 3060Ti for 800$, that`s crime, the same Nvidia did with its RTX card, 400$ RTX 2060, 200$ GTX 960. Sick.

• Like 2