Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

Ideal GPU usage percentage?

Hello,

Kind of a dumb question here, but is it a bad thing if GPU usage is at 100% usage? I have been playing with my settings and so far reducing tessellation to medium, water detail to medium/high, and shadow quality/distance to medium has almost completely eliminated stuttering and brought my gpu down to 70-75% usage. Everything else like draw distance, mesh resolution, LOD, and special effects are able to be set at very high or max without issues. This likely means that gpu was being overworked before I brought down the settings listed above, correct? 

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, sho69607 said:

Hello,

Kind of a dumb question here, but is it a bad thing if GPU usage is at 100% usage?....... This likely means that gpu was being overworked before I brought down the settings listed above, correct? 

I would agree... if you can run the GPU at less than 100%, you are going to get a smoother sim... and less noise from the fans 😉

Another way, is to use an external fps limiter..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would agree... if you can run the GPU at less than 100%, you are going to get a smoother sim... and less noise from the fans 😉

Another way, is to use an external fps limiter..

If you have vertical sync set as adaptive (half fresh rate) is it still necessary to limit the frames as well? I tried using the internal frame limiter, but found that my FPS was decreasing below 30 with it on. It did reduce the workload on the GPU though.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

1 minute ago, sho69607 said:

If you have vertical sync set as adaptive (half fresh rate) is it still necessary to limit the frames as well? I tried using the internal frame limiter, but found that my FPS was decreasing below 30 with it on. It did reduce the workload on the GPU though.

I use RTSS, 1/2 refresh rate... similar to what you are doing I believe.

Bert

Alright thanks and I forgot to mention I am on v5. Any issues using RTSS in p3dv5?

~Spencer Hoefer

2 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Alright thanks and I forgot to mention I am on v5. Any issues using RTSS in p3dv5?

I am on V5.1.

RTSS is working just fine..

Bert

Speking of external fps limiter, I noticed that my NV's limiter are not fucntinal proper with muti-window P3D.

Same as baicam show, it thinks my FPS is the total sum of all window I undocked, like normally I would have an ATC window, a FMC and a PFD or +ND undocked to other monitor, so when I run at 25FPS, it shows my FPS as 4 windows combined 100 FPS, so if I set a limiter to 40, it will give only 10 on each.

And as I might use different config for different aircraft... I just can't get it to work....

My 1080 runs mostly over 90%, and the fans is quite noticable, luckly not as loud as engine sound from speaker...

13 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Hello,

Kind of a dumb question here, but is it a bad thing if GPU usage is at 100% usage? I have been playing with my settings and so far reducing tessellation to medium, water detail to medium/high, and shadow quality/distance to medium has almost completely eliminated stuttering and brought my gpu down to 70-75% usage. Everything else like draw distance, mesh resolution, LOD, and special effects are able to be set at very high or max without issues. This likely means that gpu was being overworked before I brought down the settings listed above, correct? 

I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but my thoughts are that you paid for 100% of it so you should use 100% of it. All computer parts have a lifetime. There's no saving them for later. If you are not doing anything ridiculous to them, like applying outrageously high voltages or pushing the clocks too high, then by all means run them full tilt. Drive it like you stole it.

The worst thing that can happen to a GPU is that the CPU sends it more information than it can handle. The GPU handles it by just dropping the frames it can't handle. Basically, it just says "no". It won't be harmed by too much information. I've got my RTX 2080Ti running at 94% - 99% and everything is great. I'm happy.

Study the specs for your card, and make sure that any pertinent settings in the UEFI (or BIOS if you have an older machine) are within guidelines for the card. Set them to max, lower them if you have a problem. Then, check any vendor support software and drivers to make sure that all of the options and settings are within guidelines, but maxed out. 

Finally, watch the temperatures in the beginning to make sure that they stay reasonable. HWInfo by Cpuid is a great little freeware monitor to use for that if you don't have one. Temperature is the enemy, my friend. Make sure that the operating temperatures are within guidelines for the components.

If you have problems, pick the most likely setting, and try lowering it. Do not change more than one setting at a time, or you will never figure out what is going on.

Enjoy!

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

You will get a much better franerate around 50% GPU load than at 90%.

I have a test situation at FT Schiphol + TE NL with many clouds. At 50% load I see 49 FPS with my high settings. If I change from 2x SSAA to 4x SSAA + object shadows the load goes up to 82% but the framerate goes down to 32.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

17 hours ago, GSalden said:

I have a test situation at FT Schiphol + TE NL with many clouds. At 50% load I see 49 FPS with my high settings. If I change from 2x SSAA to 4x SSAA + object shadows the load goes up to 82% but the framerate goes down to 32.

Thats what I suspected. Every time my GPU is at 100% I see stuttering. If I start turning down settings that affect the GPU, these usually go away. I don't know if it works the same way, but a GPU doesn't have multiple "cores" to share the work load like a powerful CPU. I have a 1070, which I think is a decent card, but from what I can tell there are situations where it is falling behind in terms of performance compared to my cpu setup. In older versions of p3d the gpu didn't seem to get taxed as hard as in v5. At least I think that is the case.

~Spencer Hoefer

First thing you need to know is that it is impossible to maintain a constant GPU load (whatever % it may be) during a flight because of different scenarios and their different stresses on CPU and GPU. If you are taxiing (before and after landing) at a complex airport with a complex airplane (plus having AI traffic), you are often CPU limited, so the GPU will naturally experience a lower load, since it needs to process fewer frames than it is capable of (unless you turn on lots of GPU intensive features). During cruise, the GPU may be more stressed if you are flying over dense overcast cloud conditions, and less if you have clear skies. It also depends on whether you limit the frame rate or not and whether the frame limit is lower than the fps with unlimited setting in the current situation.

For example, let's say that if you don't limit the fps during cruise, you get 70 fps, and your GPU load is 100%. Now if you limit the frame rate (internally or externally) to 30 fps, your GPU load will be lower (to something like 45%). Is that a bad thing?  No, because why should the GPU work harder than it needs to to maintain the 30 fps?  Having a lower GPU load in this case is actually a good thing - you keep the temperature and the power consumption down, which prolongs the lifespan of the GPU. However, as soon as you encounter dense clouds during a sunset, the GPU load may spike to close to 100%, depending on the situation.

The purpose of having a powerful GPU is not necessarily to increase the frame rate in all situations (especially if you limit your fps with the goal of achieving smoothness). Rather, you want to increase the overhead in critical, GPU intensive scenarios to maintain a desired target frame. Not only that, but you will be able to turn on or increase the quality of features that are GPU dependent, such as dynamic lights, shadows, cloud resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GSalden said:

This doesn't make much sense, something must be wrong. If you increase GPU intensive settings, either the framerate must stay constant while the GPU load goes up (in which case you are CPU limited), or the framerate must drop while the GPU load is 100% (now the scenario is GPU limited). Maybe the settings have an impact on the CPU load?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

This doesn't make much sense, something must be wrong. If you increase GPU intensive settings, either the framerate must stay constant while the GPU load goes up (in which case you are CPU limited), or the framerate must drop while the GPU load is 100% (now the scenario is GPU limited). Maybe the settings have an impact on the CPU load?

Nothing wrong with both systems. Test it yourself. Enable Simobjects shadows or set cloud range / shadows to max and see what is happening.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 1/13/2021 at 3:26 AM, Bert Pieke said:

I use RTSS, 1/2 refresh rate... similar to what you are doing I believe.

If your monitor is capable of 30Hz use NCP to set it to that and the results are a very smooth sim. If not then the 1/2 refresh rate is the alternative.

@sho69607, is your monitor capable of 30Hz?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 hours ago, GSalden said:

Changing the AA setting is primarily a GPU change. However, I think the shadows part also increases the CPU load as well so it may skew the results.

3 hours ago, Afterburner said:

Maybe the settings have an impact on the CPU load?

This is what I think.

If you increase the load on the GPU other components like the PCIe bus controllers also need to step up and handle the increased load. It's possible that as the load on the GPU is going up, something else is getting overwhelmed. I'm just speculating, but given that every one of us has a different configuration, there truly is no one correct answer. My experience is that I see increasing performance as the load goes up right up to the 100% mark until it, or something supporting it hits a limit. There shouldn't be any reason that a GPU can't produce smooth output at 95-100% load if everything else in the system can feed it data at a sufficient rate.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440