Sign in to follow this  
JBDB-MD80

Boeing 737

Why is there not one in the sim already.? Was a default in MS sims before MSFS. Help me understand.

5 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Seems they wanted to make room for PMDG. Unfortunately, it looks like it won’t be until late 2021 to early 2022 until we have a 737.

The masses will not spend 149$ on advanced aircraft only the pure simmers will and they have made their stance to not switching to another sim without investing too much. Zibo type mod for 737 for msfs would be welcome but I'm sure MS will not have that. Sound like a monopoly money thing here.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Zibo type mod for 737 for msfs would be welcome but I'm sure MS will not have that. Sound like a monopoly money thing here.

A Zibo type mod is not possible, unless there is a default 737 to mod from, which there is not in MSFS.

It will have to be either a complete from scratch development or a migration from a P3D version.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Why is there not one in the sim already.? Was a default in MS sims before MSFS. Help me understand.

Because there was a new default. Changes are made and while it may disappoint some simmers its a delight to others. Things evolve and change over time.

I'm sure some enterprising third party developer will come out with one in due course.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Because they chose to model an Airbus A320 instead which is considered an equivalent aircraft type I guess. And also it may be no accident that Asobo are based in Europe and the A320 is more prevalent in Europe than the 737..

The PMDG 737 is coming, it might be a while but it'll be worth it when it does.

Edited by Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

12 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Presumably it was decided not to make a 737 because there is a default A320, which is broadly similar type of aeroplane as far as passenger route employment is concerned, although having said that, there are a ton of GA aeroplanes in the sim which are all very similar to one another as far as their roles are concerned, so if that was the reason, it wasn't a very consistent one.

Beyond this and in terms of why they chose an A320 over a B737, I presume that with the A320 being newer, the developers thought this would have more appeal to the casual flight simmers, and of course there is also the fact that I daresay Asobo had easier accessibility to a product from Toulouse as opposed to one from Seattle.

We also have to bear in mind that development for MSFS 2020 commenced about five years ago, and at that time the Airbus A320 NEO was in production and in service with several airlines, whereas the Boeing 737 MAX had, at that point, yet to make its first flight and would not be in service for another year and a half later after that first flight in 2016, and although at that time the 737 NG was still being made, the NG ceased production in 2019 - strictly speaking, the NG is kind of still in production, since the militarised P-8 Poseidon is essentially a 737-800 with the wings from a 737-900 - so I guess Microsoft didn't want what some might consider an 'old' aerolane, on the box art of their shiny new sim. 

There probably were other factors which didn't help either, some of which were not great from a publicity standpoint; notably the fatigue cracking which was found to be plaguing possibly as many as a quarter of all the 737 NGs which had been produced. Also, the necessity for a cowling redesign to be retrofitted to almost 7,000 737 NGs worldwide after some uncontained engine failures including the one on Southwest Airlines Flight 1380, where a passenger was killed and several others injured as a result of cabin penetration by parts from the disintegrating engine and cowling and rapid depressurisation.

Then there were a series of fines relating to the 737 MAX (prior to the fatal crashes which caused it to be grounded), and of course there was also the well-publicised worldwide fleet grounding of the 737 MAX, and the last thing MS needed on the cover of their new flight sim box art, was a plane which wasn't even allowed to fly anywhere in the world owing to some allegedly  questionable business practices on the part of Boeing, which had led to its Chief Executive getting the push in 2019, as well a lot of other trouble for Boeing, so they're not exactly the the number one choice for a star you'd choose to hitch your wagon to at the moment.

Of more concern to me, was the fact that there were no real 'classics' in the default MSFS 2020 fleet, something like a Twin Otter, a DC-3, Stearman or P-51 Mustang or some such, nor any helicopter or gliders. These things are far more conspicuous by their absence than the lack of a 737.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Chock thanks for your post but MS always had a B737 and a A32- whether a 20 or a 21 counterpart  as default in their sims. Never saw a Twotter default. DC3 yes. What I am saying is what do they expect that everyone is going to buy the PMDG 737, A2A Beaver or a Aerosoft CRJ. not going to happen  I would venture to guess that majority of the current Users are happy with planes that are available now only hardcore money paying simmers want's the best of non reality aircraft. Just asking for a Zibo type mod please for MS that's all.

I just act as if, my airlines(s) have changed over to Airbus from Boeing and my type rating list is being expanded.  Although, preferring the Boeing product *737x, I fly what  is provided and learn some different things.😃

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Chock thanks for your post but MS always had a B737 and a A32- whether a 20 or a 21 counterpart  as default in their sims. Never saw a Twotter default. DC3 yes. What I am saying is what do they expect that everyone is going to buy the PMDG 737, A2A Beaver or a Aerosoft CRJ. not going to happen  I would venture to guess that majority of the current Users are happy with planes that are available now only hardcore money paying simmers want's the best of non reality aircraft. Just asking for a Zibo type mod please for MS that's all.

We have the FlyByWire mod for the A320 instead 😉 It's really good by the way.

As has been said already. Zibo was a mod of the default Xplane 737. There is no default 737 in MSFS so nothing to mod.

• Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I suspect that it's a combination of the things Chock mentioned as well as wanting to make PDMG happy.  If there was a stock 737, then FlyByWire would be iterating on making it better by modding the stock aircraft using the new MSFS coding techniques faster then PDMG can port over all their old legacy code to MSFS (which is their development plan...wait for Asobo to make their legacy code run with minimal changes). 

Actually, now that I've typed the above......my suspicion is that it was probably mostly driven by making PDMG happy......

I agree that diversity is lacking in the stock aircraft.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

22 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

We have the FlyByWire mod for the A320 instead 😉 It's really good by the way.

As has been said already. Zibo was a mod of the default Xplane 737. There is no default 737 in MSFS so nothing to mod.

Well you did not answer my OP. Why is there not a legit 737 in this game allready. Every other sim has one either payware or freeware.

1 minute ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Well you did not answer my OP. Why is there not a legit 737 in this game allready. Every other sim has one either payware or freeware.

Because that's the way it is.  One wasn't included, none has been created yet.  No point in asking us.

• Like 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

25 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

.......my suspicion is that it was probably mostly driven by making PDMG happy.......

Why would they want to make PMDG happy and not FSlabs?

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Presumably it was decided not to make a 737 because there is a default A320, which is broadly similar type of aeroplane as far as passenger route employment is concerned, although having said that, there are a ton of GA aeroplanes in the sim which are all very similar to one another as far as their roles are concerned, so if that was the reason, it wasn't a very consistent one.

Airliners are more complex than GA aircraft. They've already delivered an almost unflyable A320 at release. I guess complexity played a major role there.

Regarding why they chose the A320 over the 737? That's a global trend. The A320 is the more modern aircraft overall. From concept to functionality. Its market share continously rises.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved