Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

12GB RTX 3060 announced for February 2021

10 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I note that this card is marketed as OEM any reason why this should be a purchase issue?  Thanks.

Bruceb

The blower style cards are usually aimed at professional work stations with duel cards. They have minimal space between cards for an open shroud design to cool properly. I personally wouldn't go down that route as they are nosier and don't cool as well. 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:32 AM, bobcat999 said:

Thanks Glenn.  Strange how it has more VRAM than the 3060Ti, but it is a welcome improvement.  I was a bit disappointed they never mentioned a launch for the RTX3080 super, as that is the one I am waiting for. 

I am so fed-up with the lack of supply and price hiking in the UK that I am just looking to mod my 1080Ti for a bit now. 
I can get 30 fps at 4k 70%, and I am alright with that, but the fans are so noisy.  I am looking at a mod that someone posted on these forums to use quieter fans, and that will have to do me for a bit.

My old Titan (Maxwell) served me well for years, and the only major drawback was that stinkin' loud blower that emulated quite well the sound of the MB339 I was flying such that I didn't need my sound turned on in the sim! 🤣

One thing that helped immensely was taking it apart and cleaning it, then putting Kryonaut paste on.  The temps got way better, and the card's fan worked a lot less....temps were reasonable (under 78 most of the time at 100% utilization).  The dust accumulation in it was shocking (mostly crammed in the corners), even though my house has a great air filter and not in a dusty environment at all (I'm sure it was mostly carpet lint and general dust as we all have unless you live in a clean-room).   
The old paste (pretty sure it was the original) was a solid cake of crud and probably doing no heat transfer to be noticed. Was very satisfying to get it all off...see the shiny top of the processer and slather the Kryonaut on it knowing what it would do for the temps!  I also had some 800,1200, and 1500 grit sandpaper leftover from cleaning my car's headlights (another cool DYI project FYI), and decided to use it to wet-sand and polish the heatsink plate to get better contact with the die.  About 15 mins of sanding and finishing off with some polishing compound made it very shiny and hopefully free of micro-scratches that could impact the contact...and was ready to put her back together.

I also put better thermal tape on the power thingies (make sure to have it ordered and delivered before you start hehe...and have a good mini-tool set for removing all the tiny screws), in addition to adding a few copper heatsinks to some of the larger power modules,
Oh.... and a cool tip if you're concerned about replacing the screws back in their original holes, put a sheet of semi-transparent wax paper over the back of the card, use a Sharpie to mark where the screw are (there were a lot on my Titan), repeat on another sheet of wax paper for the other side, then tape them down on a flat surface (trust me, you don't just want to lay them in case you move the paper suddenly, hehe).  Put the screws on the marks as you go.  A little tedious, but worked well for me.

So now my old Titan is better than brand new!  With 12gb onboard, I think she did as well as she did because of that.  I have a new system now with a 2070 Super that is doing just dandy....probably need to put the old girl up for sale and see what I can get for her.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks Steve.  I have some Thermal Gizzly Kryonaut left (I used it on my CPU), so I will have a look at doing this alongside a Noctua fan mod someone told me about. 

Yes, the way things are going with shortages, I think you should get a decent price for your old one.

I also used the Gigabyte Engine tuning tool 'properly' last night for the first time, and was shocked at the results!  Letting it go through its own power/frequency tests (took about 30 minutes I think), I then saved and ran the settings.  It was reaching over 2000MHz on the core GPU, so the fans went up a bit more, but it was 2 and a half hours stable in MSFS last night, and really smooth!

Memory was just a light tweak (300 MHz), and it is fine with no artifacting in the sim.  It may be a different story with summer temps, but I will see how I go! :biggrin:

So, with this and the Kryonaut and fan mods I mentioned above, there is some life left in the old dog yet!  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Its simply amazing, all these new video cards, and promises, 12, 16, 20, gb's Vram, but where the heck are all of them ? I remember a few months ago AMD made their big presentation, Big Navi coming, we all got excited, right???? Earlier Nivida botched their release of the much anticpated 3000 series, and of course we all got excited as well.

So now we have a 12 gb vram video card from Nivida.  It seems to me, they are throwing darts at the wall, and hopefully something sticks!!  Here it is I have my 3080 nivida card, but 2 less gb's of vram than a 3060.. Oh well, 

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

15 hours ago, martin-w said:

The blower style cards are usually aimed at professional work stations with duel cards. They have minimal space between cards for an open shroud design to cool properly. I personally wouldn't go down that route as they are nosier and don't cool as well. 

Yes that is the message I have been getting.  However I am attracted to having most of the GPU heat being dumped outside the case and there being two instead of three eight pin power sockets.  While I have a large case and air input through 2 case fans plus the AIO radiator there is only one exhaust fan so having another would be a plus.  It would be nice to know just how noisier these blower GPUs are.

Bruceb

Edited by brucewtb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

16 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Yeah. And the 3080ti is postponed indefinitely. Not easy these days. Especially, since I was able to buy a 3080 FE and now have to decide which card to keep (6900 XT or 3080 FE). Information on the Internet is inconclusive. Therefore, I will do my own testing. Particularly to see wether the 10 GB on the 3080 is really a problem. We'll see.

Cloud you update us on that please? I'm thinking of getting rx 6800 xt due to 16gb than 3080 10gb

I will receive the 3080 today. Testing over the weekend. Then I‘ll post some results. What I can already say is that the 6900 XT does indeed use (use not just allocate!) 10-13 GB when on the runway of a large airport facing a large city (KJFK). I‘m really keen to see how the 3080 handles these scenarios. 

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

On 1/14/2021 at 4:37 PM, Sunshine13 said:

but where the heck are all of them

They are on eBay and Craigs list....going for at least 40-120% more than MSRP.

3 words that clearly describe why you can't go online to new egg, best buy, amazon, etc and pick one up, or heaven forbid walk into a brick and mortar store and plop down your credit card:

• Bots
  • Scalpers
  • Miners

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I managed to buy both of my cards directly from AMD resp. NVidia. But it took me a lot of hunting. I was following Discord channels and web communities for months to get notifications for drops. Everything is sold out in minutes if not seconds. Quite nerve-racking.

Edited by carlito777

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

1 hour ago, carlito777 said:

I managed to buy both of my cards directly from AMD resp. NVidia. But it took me a lot of hunting. I was following Discord channels and web communities for months to get notifications for drops. Everything is sold out in minutes if not seconds. Quite nerve-racking.

yeah I did that for a while and decided it was not worth it....kinda' like karma is saying just be patient and something will turn up.  I did get a really good system recently (off Craigs list ....took a chance but did my research), it came with a 2070 super which is a nice card and with scaling back the settings just a bit, I'm getting very satisfying results in MSFS.  

So I will be patient and see if we ever return to a normal world where I can go online, and have actual retailers competing with each other for your business, maybe knocking off a few bucks from the retail price to entice you to shop there....remember those days? 🙄

Very happy for you and your success...and thanks a ton for the comparisons, esp in relation to us flight simmers, very good info to help decide where I'd like to throw my money at when it comes time (the AMDs are looking really good...but hard to shake the Nvidia cultist feelings I've had over the many years of watching AMD try to compete, put out a lot of hype, only to fall flat on their faces...but this time they stepped up and hit a home run it seems.  Well...maybe just a triple as the main failing is not being able to supply enough cards to cover the demand.  Not sure that was even possible though in retrospect)

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

11 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

and thanks a ton for the comparisons

You are very welcome. I found it extremely hard to make an informed decision just based on the reviews available on YouTube or the Internet in general. Most YouTubers are not real flight simmers and don't know how to perform at least somewhat reliable benchmarking. And I was so tired of the repeated statements that 10 GB of VRAM is not enough which are purely based on hearsay. People spread this kind of information without having a clue. Not a good basis for sound decisions.

Of course, if you buy a RTX 3090, you can't do no wrong. It ticks all the flightsimming boxes. But I just think that the price is ridiculous. I'm not going to throw that kind of money at NVidia if I can get a card that performs almost as good for a third less in price. The 3090 also doesn't get you above 60 fps on ultra settings. So what's the point in having 48 vs. 40 fps on average. If you cannot get over 60 fps than it is best to set the monitor to 30 Hz anyways and then a steady 30+ fps is sufficient. But that's another story.

Enjoy your new system! I'm coming from a GTX 1070 which also performed decently when dialing down the settings. MSFS is capable to run very well on a wide range of hardware. It's just a matter of managing settings.

Edited by carlito777
  • Upvote 1

Just now, carlito777 said:

If you cannot get over 60 fps than it is best to set the monitor to 30 Hz anyways and then a steady 30+ fps is sufficient. But that's another story.

Completely wrong. Just use G-sync (or freesync) 

1 minute ago, carlito777 said:

People spread this kind of information without having a clou

Seems appropriate for your comment about a 30fps cap. 

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Seems appropriate for your comment about a 30fps cap. 

At least, I don’t have to work on my attitude. Been nice talking to you. 

32 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

At least, I don’t have to work on my attitude. Been nice talking to you. 

Correct. Just your advice. You too 🙂 

5 hours ago, carlito777 said:

You are very welcome. I found it extremely hard to make an informed decision just based on the reviews available on YouTube or the Internet in general. Most YouTubers are not real flight simmers and don't know how to perform at least somewhat reliable benchmarking. And I was so tired of the repeated statements that 10 GB of VRAM is not enough which are purely based on hearsay. People spread this kind of information without having a clue. Not a good basis for sound decisions.

Of course, if you buy a RTX 3090, you can't do no wrong. It ticks all the flightsimming boxes. But I just think that the price is ridiculous. I'm not going to throw that kind of money at NVidia if I can get a card that performs almost as good for a third less in price. The 3090 also doesn't get you above 60 fps on ultra settings. So what's the point in having 48 vs. 40 fps on average. If you cannot get over 60 fps than it is best to set the monitor to 30 Hz anyways and then a steady 30+ fps is sufficient. But that's another story.

Enjoy your new system! I'm coming from a GTX 1070 which also performed decently when dialing down the settings. MSFS is capable to run very well on a wide range of hardware. It's just a matter of managing settings.

Let us know how it compares between 6900XT and 3080 please. I am really curious.

Thanks

EDIT: nevermind, just saw your post of the MSFS comparison. Thanks!!

Edited by TrentXWB