Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Every cloud has a silver lining...

In New Mexico if you are over 79 years of age you must renew your drivers license annually but there is no fee.  Mine is due to expire in a couple of weeks which usually means the dreaded trip to DMV where you take number and when your number is called you go to a window and then go back and sit down and wait an interminably length of time until your number is called again.  Then you go to another window where you take the eye test, get your picture taken, and check off your vitals.  You waste almost a half a day just waiting for your number to be called.  You pulled Number 102 from the dispenser and sat down on a hard chair.  You look up at the tote board and it says, "Now serving number 79".  So you wait and wait and wait.

This morning I called DMV and asked what the protocol for driver's license renewal is due to Covid-19.  The lady gave me a web address and said renewals are on-line now.  It's a pretty long form to fill out but you don't have to go to the dreaded DMV anymore.

Noel
  • Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Move to Florida. All we do here is send in a check when the renewal notice comes. Very civilized.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I don't think I'd like the humidity and rain.  I've become a desert rat and like the dry air and sunny days.  Over 300 clear days a year.  But you have to get used to the temperature swings.  This morning it was 18f when I got up and is forecast to be 68f this afternoon.  That's a 50 degree temperature change in just a few hours.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

In the UK its 70. They're extending it for 11 months due to Covid though.

Don't think there's a medical check here.  Think its just a form on-line. 

I used to be the same way Noel. Where I grew up there was less that 15" rain a year and no noticeable humidity. But, we all adapt. After the first three years here neither the rain nor the humidity was much of a problem. And, you're right, I lived for 26 years where the temperature swings were an issue. Now I'd never go back. The other plus here is no state income tax and a good supply of moonshine 🙂

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

At my age and income only social security and military retirement I have no state income tax either.  As for moonshine I'm not interested.  Since getting out of the service the only alcoholic beverages I drink are a glass of wine in Christmas and Thanksgiving and an occasional beer when offered when visiting someone's home.  I don't keep any in the house.  At a restaurant (remember those?) I might order a bottle of non-alcoholic beer. Not that I have a problem with alcohol, I just don't drink muh of it anymore.

Noel

But moonshine isn't just another alcoholic beverage. It's an American art form. When I lived in Georgia I used to go up to a small town in the far south foothills of the Appalachian mountains. On a corner on Main street was the local restaurant. Go upstairs and ask for Kathy. Order a quart of local milk. Take that stuff home and cut it 50-50 with distilled water and you had the finest 90 proof in the whole south. Of course, if you were a real adventurist, you could just drink it straight. But I don't know anyone who did that twice 🙂 .

• Like 2