Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Crosswind takeoff

7 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Is that with the new settings?

I just a test flight and had no issues, something is not right. I will put some pictures.

CJ4 WT mod

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

There was one time when after “sweaty” flight I went with my student to Starbucks (which is short final runway 25 at CRQ ). We sat, sip coffee and watched airplanes take off and land fighting Santa Ana winds... Not a single corporate jet or  light GA was able to keep centerline. And we actually felt not that bad about about our not so perfect landing 30 minutes prior  lol

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

CJ4 WT mod

I don't know what to say, I had the problems you mention without modification to the config file.

Something is not right. As i said I'm looking to the some pics at different stages to see. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awtjg5hub9ak266/A.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tll62iwwfecpge1/B.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vofy9n5aapa2c79/C.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjm0iv60sfgqb4g/D.JPG?dl=0

Edited by killthespam
pics

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Just FYI those are mostly take off not approaches. And when strong gusts comes that how it looks. This not macho or pressure, that how we fight gusts; otherwise, commercial aviation would just rest on the ground  🙂

Are you misreading my post?
I dearly hope that you are not looking to pick up an unproductive discussion.
It is related to that clip (t.o.).
Absolutely not normal, quite reckless I would say.
We, on the commercial side, have strict guidelines for situations like this where actually we delay the flight or just cancel if safety dictates. 
Usually, after a while, these abnormal conditions dissipate and we carry on.
From what I see from the clip (not having wx available) the way the aircrafts are behaving is a textbook of windshear situation, uncontrollable flight condition, and for sure not a stabilized flight.
Conditions where you do not initiate a flight or a landing.
In a commercial aircraft, a windshear warning is triggered by GPWS during t.o or landing phase when speed is +/- 15KTS IAS variations on the VS of more than +/- 500 ft/min from normal, +/- 5 degrees on pitch attitude from normal and one dot G/S deviation from normal on an ILS or VNAV approach.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I just want to say that I'm having the same issue with the Longitude. 

Another one is that crosswind forces change drastically the  moment you touch down in any aircraft. It's weird. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

26 minutes ago, killthespam said:
Are you misreading my post?
I dearly hope that you are not looking to pick up an unproductive discussion.
It is related to that clip (t.o.).
Absolutely not normal, quite reckless I would say.
We, on the commercial side, have strict guidelines for situations like this where actually we delay the flight or just cancel if safety dictates. 
Usually, after a while, these abnormal conditions dissipate and we carry on.
From what I see from the clip (not having wx available) the way the aircrafts are behaving is a textbook of windshear situation, uncontrollable flight condition, and for sure not a stabilized flight.
Conditions where you do not initiate a flight or a landing.
In a commercial aircraft, a windshear warning is triggered by GPWS during t.o or landing phase when speed is +/- 15KTS IAS variations on the VS of more than +/- 500 ft/min from normal, +/- 5 degrees on pitch attitude from normal and one dot G/S deviation from normal on an ILS or VNAV approach.

Thanks for feeding me in. I'm quite aware of stable approaches. I'm sorry I don't see windshear in the videos just gusty winds. Some airports just like that. 

I'm gonna post  this video again. It's not windshear just gusts and terrain. You can't keep centerline with best intention as you parry guty wind. You can find similar what you called "reckless" videos all over  youtube. I assume you fly commercially, I don't know your company or standards. But living and flying where I'm we are dealing with those wind once in a while

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

It has bothered me from the beginning. Its as soon as the nosewheel gets light, you veer. It is uncontrollable honestly. The airplane feels like it has no weight. And Landing as well, you can't configure the airplane for a crosswind. The airplane is just too "light" feeling if that makes any sense. It is super annoying though. I basically just put up with all the veering at this point. 

Something is definitely not right with the transition from 'flying at 1 inch off the ground' to 'wheels touch' when landing AND the transition from 'rolling' to 'wheels up' when taking off in a crosswind.

There is no way you should be configured to be tracking straight along the runway one instant, and then zooming off at a 45 or 60 degree angle to the centerline the next second.  No real aircraft would behave in that manner from one instant to the next just because the wheels touched down or lifted off.  And I doubt you'll see this behavior in any other simulator.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Ground physics are flawed in MFS - very flawed... 

Probably also quirks with the flight dynamics, weathervane stability being a possible one, but not only for sure...

And people used to complain about the other sim and moving on ground under x-winds... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes 35kt crosswind is scary at take off....

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Aside from the ground roll issues they are probably not correctly factoring in inertia when you lift off or touchdown.

Does the sim handle wind shear correctly ?

Just did a couple tests @ KJAC where there are currently multiple reports of severe turbulence and quartering head winds around 22kts...

Tried using Unreal weather which provided highly accurate winds and turbulence from approach to touchdown depicted on the PFD, but no snow on the ground.

Tried using MSFS LIVE weather which provided ZERO wind OR turbulence on the approach PFD, but also showing crab angle with accurate on the ground PFD reading and snow everywhere.

BOTH landings were moderately realistic in feel for a quartering headwind with some windshear during the approach

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.