Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Viper Moonshot

Guest Rake7575

Launched out of Nellis AFB, NV and headed to Nellis Range airspace--beautiful late afternoon desert weather--lit the burner and proceeded to climb to 73,588ft--can easily see earth curvature--and the moon (well take a look below).Rakefsxvipermoonshot.jpgAMD FX-60Nvidia 7950 GX2 (1GB) video4GB RAMRaptor 150GB (10000rpm) HDDell 24" (run FSX in 1920x1200 resolution)

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Awesome shot! -Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifCurrent system:Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 641 (3.40GHz), Abit AW8D, Gigabyte GeForce 7900GTX (512MB DDR3 PCI-Express x16),Corsair XMS2 Pro 2GB PC2 6400 (DDR2 800), 2 SeaGate Barracuda 250GB hard drives, Sound Blaster X-Fi PlatinumKlipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, NEC 20" CRT, Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2Please note: System specs are for reference in tech forums only and are not to be taken as meaning anything else.Doing so will result in eye-rolling, possible teeth grinding and perhaps mild internal chuckling.Happy Flying!

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

NICE!, but 2 questions:1) Will the F-16 even go that high? I would have thought it'd have a service ceiling around 65K or so...2) Where'd ya get the Falcon that is FSX compatible??!?!? And know of any F22 or F35 aircraft around?--2002cbr600f4i

Guest possum

Kirk Olssons F-16 works like a charm with the update from simviation.com or flightsim.com I think thats the one in the shot.

Guest Rake7575

I imported Kirk Olsson's USVIPER and added F-16 fsxupgrade from file library. 2D panel/HUD works great though the virtual cockpit HUD symbology is not working (yet--if someone could fix that I'd appreciate it).I fly real world F-15Es in the Air Force and we run high altitude intercepts (in the block 40-45000feet fairly often out at Nellis (Red Flag ranges)--besides an altitude advantage you can get to mach much faster at high altitude and maintain with less thrust/plus it gives an advantage to air-to-air missile kinematic ranges.In the Air Force several aircraft are "certified" above 50000feet but require positive pressure suits to be worn--a rapid decompression above 50000 feet would result in your blood basically boiling away--so without the proper ergo kit, you won't see Vipers or Eagles at 50000 or above. With the SR-71 retired, you'll only see U-2s and Global Hawk (UAV) at altitudes above 50000 feet.I simply wanted to press the envelope in FSX with the Viper (that's one of the great things about simulators/simulation including FSIX/FSX). I had to stair-step climb to 73000 feet...once there I could only maintain level flight in full burner and a hefty angle of attack...my indicated airspeed was about 130kts.Rakefsxosanform-1.jpg

>I simply wanted to press the envelope in FSX with the Viper >(that's one of the great things about simulators/simulation>including FSIX/FSX). I had to stair-step climb to 73000>feet...once there I could only maintain level flight in full>burner and a hefty angle of attack...my indicated airspeed was>about 130kts.Cool... But, didn't you feel a bit silly wearing a pressure suit flying a sim? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Awesome!Happen to have a link to where I can get Olsen's package? I can't seem to find it (TONS of google entries for repaints, so I'm going crazy finding the main package itself...)Very cool... I actually work for Lockheed and my office window looks out at Dobbins (Atlanta NAS) where the F/A-22's come off the assembly line. So, about once every couple weeks I hear the deep rumble, look out my window and see a Raptor jump into the sky... The F-16 chase planes always look like little toys next to it, and they have to go all out to keep up (and even then they can't match the 22's takeoff and climb rate.)--2002cbr600f4i

I was a controller at Beale for 7 years. Looks just like a sled to me. (SR-71)I think the color is wrong, but everything else is exactly like I remember it! :)This sim do have possibilities I think.Great pic(s)Cheers,bt