Sign in to follow this  
oeker

Activate Garmin to AP (Carenado Mooney)

Hi guys.........

With the Mooney released, I jumped off the fence and purchased both Mooney and fs2020 this week.

I am familiar with both classic VOR navigation and FMS. - But new to Garmin (in Carenado Mooney)

After creating the flightplan - and jumping into aircraft, the path is magenta, my guess it is activated. Dep airport and next waypoint clearly visible.

Flying and engaging Nav on AP the aircraft turns straight north. Garmin is in GPS mode. . Tried several wild clicks on flightplan page, highlight and hit Enter, and similar stuff.. Also watching tutorials. Not able to find the manual....

Not really a big deal - I use HDG on AP , and can adjust HDG to follow track - but it will be nice to know to do it right.

Thanks!!!!!

Usually with the steam gauge aircraft with the add-on Garmins there is a switch or button somewhere that changes the AP from following the HDG bug on the steam gauge instruments to following the commands from the GPS.  It's usually not on the GPS itself but somewhere else on the panel.

I haven't spent enough time with the Mooney yet to try GPS NAV but I'll take a look tonight if someone else hasn't posted back with the answer.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

46 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Usually with the steam gauge aircraft with the add-on Garmins there is a switch or button somewhere that changes the AP from following the HDG bug on the steam gauge instruments to following the commands from the GPS.  It's usually not on the GPS itself but somewhere else on the panel.

In this case it is actually on the Garmin itself... the CDI button switches between VLOC and GPS mode.

As for the autopilot, you need to be in NAV mode.

What the OP describes actually should work..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, oeker said:

Hi guys.........

With the Mooney released, I jumped off the fence and purchased both Mooney and fs2020 this week.

I am familiar with both classic VOR navigation and FMS. - But new to Garmin (in Carenado Mooney)

After creating the flightplan - and jumping into aircraft, the path is magenta, my guess it is activated. Dep airport and next waypoint clearly visible.

Flying and engaging Nav on AP the aircraft turns straight north. Garmin is in GPS mode. . Tried several wild clicks on flightplan page, highlight and hit Enter, and similar stuff.. Also watching tutorials. Not able to find the manual....

Not really a big deal - I use HDG on AP , and can adjust HDG to follow track - but it will be nice to know to do it right.

Thanks!!!!!

Do you have this mod installed?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/gns530-mod/296598

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 hours ago, oeker said:

How did you create the flight plan?  Did your fight plan waypoints show up in the flight plan screen?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the mod link. I will check.......

How I create flightplan:

Click and add Departure and Arrival airport.

Checking Simplate approach map for IAF , locate it and add it to the flightplan.

Open Navlog for a quick check of heading and distance - everything looks fine.

Next hit Fly button.

The Garmin got magenta track to IAF - then white to airport.  

It is confirmed to be in GPS mode.

Airborne - engage AP in NAV mode.

The aircraft turns north. I wait and see if it turns to departure airport , and start tacking from there, but it continues north.

Have to use HDG mode to fly along path. The GPS is dead. No change after passing IAF. (I switch to LOC  ILS frequency at this point anyway) - and capture ILS in the old fashion way. I have also noted that there are no approach capture warning....

Note:

Another bug:  My first flight, to test the aircraft  I did not use Garmin at all, switched Garmin to nav and used Nav 1 and Nav 2 with VOR frequencies in the old fashion way. I noticed that only my first VOR did work.  Rest was dead with flag. One VOR I picked up DME, but deviation was dead. (flag warning) . I tried with a lot clicks around to figure out, but no cigar. - Maybe I f..cd something at that that point, that are saved somewhere......

............................................... Next story

I did reinstall the Mooney....   (DO NOT try this at home!!!!)    

It is almost impossible to download again after hitting the delete button.  It shows up as installed with no version number or size. It is gone from my hangar. I was even willing to buy a new one , but it noted as owned.

After a couple of hours I was able to find Carenado files on my PC and deleted them.  Now I was able to download......

Final:

Can I expect same Garmin problem with Carenado Seminole?

Or should I live with Mooney and wait for A2A?

More info:

Annonciator Panel:

REMOTE RNAV ( Is this the culprit?)

WPT  (in yellow)

GPS 

........... .....   

On Garmin data:

DTK 360 

DIS   3551.1

ETE  20:51.

Approx same reading in N. America and N. Europe.

Looks like it is stuck on North Pole?

I'm still pretty sure there is a switch on the panel that controls NAV (radios) vs GPS, it might be just to the right of the gear lever.  I've been busy with work the last couple days but I'll try it tonight and make a quick video.  I don't think it's just the GNS530 that controls this.  In the steam gauge C172 there is a button that controls this switching, separate from the toggle on the GNS530.

I don't think reinstalling is the solution.

Asking Carenado or looking for the documentation that comes with the aircraft would also be a good starting point.

Thank you.

IMO - the NAV/GPS switch is a duplicate to the CDI switch.  

The annunciator panel read white GPS and Garmin read green GPS, it should be correct.

Could you please try to duplicate my yellow WPT warning light next to white GPS light? - On top I got the REMOTE RNAV (white) . Is this correct?

I always read Operational Manual prior to dig deeper into new aircraft. But I am not able to find it . I found several pdf documents hidden. But only charts . I will do another search....

I recorded a short video of my cockpit while following the GPS flight plan.  Around the 4:45 mark it makes a turn and follows the next leg.

'WPT' is yellow and 'ACTV' is also yellow.

Thanks for doing this .

Your annunciator  panel is similar to mine..

Your DTK (Desired Track?)  varies from 210 to 158.

Mine is always stuck at 360 on all flights. Europe/US   (and it do fly north - ref stby compass)

Your Distance make sense counting 20  to 6 nm ..

My Distance is staggering approx. 66500 nm !  

ETE is similar to mine.

Your  Nav 1 HSI  deviation works.  I got red flag.   

Ticked filed at Support.

I never trust default aircraft - I purchased fs 2020 and Mooney together and jumped straight into it.

Flying around same airport to map hotas and stuff . then I tried navigation.

With no documentation I had to trust old experience.  Assuming that Garmin plan must be activated first.

Ref MRj Q400  you have to select Direct to wpt to activate it  Playing around with this idea.

Next Boeing FMC , you have to open flightplan, with enter and execute.  Played around with similar buttons on Garmin too..

No doubt I saved something weird while doing this....

Edited by oeker

I wonder if the particular flightplan is the culprit.

What happens if your start the C172 G1000 with the same flightplan?

Or load it without the IAF!

I have used the Mooney with GPS guided flightplans and not run into the problem you are having..

Bert

I had problems similar to OP when I tried the top level MSFS flight planner (using the globe level scheme). My  mooney flew straight north until I some how found the "activate approach' option in one of the menus- can't recall where or how. I usually create my flights on the GPS itself within the cockpit. I always see and use the 'activate approach' click tab. That way the NAV  button always  tracks the magenta line (OK, sometimes it is white color temporarily...hah) .  The Asobo planner is not perfected yet, so I avoid it.

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

Thank you all for suggestions and help.

I  think I know how to navigate within the Garmin.

Starting a new flight - a plain basic between 2 airports, the magenta line make sense,  but not distance. It is typically over 5000nm - and Desired Track heading make no sense.

The flightplan is clean. Only the two airports show.

Using the Procedure button, I can play around with Departure - Arrival - Approach.  Activate (white) new intersections shows up. Some make sense, other are 5000 nm away. I can delete them in flightplan - but it does not help.

Only once I was able to fly inbound runway with next intersection 4 nm. But next appeared  40 nm away - and then the white track extended to an intersection 5700 nm away - ETE 49 hours. Deleted both intersections, but Garmin was unserviceable....

My last attempt in Bolivia ended with freeze and CTD when activate an Approach

I can fly the track with HDG, but with DME way off, it is not much help.

...........There is mod avail for more authentic use.  But according to description there are still problem with fs2020 bugs.  Can it be used for entering manually data from SkyVector and Plan-G in a simple way?

I feel I wasted too many hours on this.

While waiting for Carenado support.

1. Can I expect the same problem with Carenado Seminole?  

2. Reinstall - any problem to expect?  (Reinstall Mooney was a pain) . Any folders that are still left after uninstall?

Thank you all for suggestions and help.