Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Am I Flying FSX?

Why does the mountain look so blurry and pixelated...I feel like I'm flying in FSX all over again. Is anyone else seeing this? My settings are high to ultra. 

Capture.png

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

1 minute ago, jpe828 said:

Yes, I see it. It loads in closer... 

It still looks terrible up close...

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

30 minutes ago, Clem116 said:

Why does the mountain look so blurry and pixelated...I feel like I'm flying in FSX all over again. Is anyone else seeing this? My settings are high to ultra. 

Capture.png

Actually at that distance with Megascenery Earth V3 scenery my FSX SE looks significantly better than that. And at 1080.  My MSFS looks better.  System specs in my footer.

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

27 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Are all your mountains like that ?

Somewhat...

32 minutes ago, Clem116 said:

Somewhat...

hmm OK ..

Well I DO get the blue haze in the distance which is actually realistic ... and the mountains tend to be overly rounded which is an issue with how the sim renders terrain, but you seem to have more going on than that

this is the sort of view that I get, please ignore the stutter it is an issue with the OBS recording software not the game itself, I chose this video because of the terrain in the background not the video quality which is pretty stuttery

Yep FSX is everywhere. Textures are loading slow IRL as well 🙂

41350794_10214997978016451_9050053347498

123342350_10221153921631194_127470334538

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Clem116 said:

Capture.png

Looks like normal haze I have seen for decades flying in RL. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Looks like normal haze I have seen for decades flying in RL. 

I'm not talking about the haze, look at the mountain it looks terrible.

1 hour ago, Clem116 said:

To be more specific are we talking about the rounded mesh or is it more the lack of trees ?  Those are the two main issues I can see.

The blue haze, lack of sharpness and desaturated color are all pretty realistic when looking into the distance. Though you might think otherwise looking at all the over saturated over sharpened landscape photos online. Sharpening and saturation in games is a matter of personal tastes of course.

If you do prefer a sharper appearance you could turn on post sharpening with the Nvidia sharpening filter or the AMD equivalent in your video settings.  Personally I prefer no sharpening and even edited the game config file to turn off the inbuilt sharpening filter  as sharpening looks cartoony to me (personal taste) and also causes things like mesh fences at airports to flicker.  but if you like sharper there are ways to get it.

The other thing to try is the Tree LOD mod as more trees in the distance will cover more of the Bing textures and should look sharper.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Ultra is just a pre-set, it doesn't max everything, you do need to change some settings manually.

16 minutes ago, Clem116 said:

Looks fine to me.

Edited by Tuskin38

The mountains do look sharper on my system. It looks like you are zoomed in a bit. The textures don't increase their LOD when you zoom in, so they will look blurrier. Also your terrain LOD setting will have an affect. Make sure it is at 200.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

It also depends on where you are and on the data that's available for that area. I had a few flights where i thought, now that's nice, but other area's like the current Patagonian bush flight I'm doing, not so much. Certainly not the second part of the trip, it looks only just a tad better then FSX with lots of terrain errors, rounded mountains with high sharp pointed peaks in them, messed up shorelines, rivers that run up a hill, water that looks the same on sea, lakes and rivers, waterrendering on top of terrain, flat villages etc... makes it all look like FSX. 

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

This is common blurry terrain textures problem. I think your nvidia control panel settings mess up your game settings. I have encountered to this problem. At ncp, on adjust image settings with preview menu, tick "let the 3d application decide". And don't touch again nvidia control panel settings to adjust msfs 2020 graphics. In addition to this don't forget to set anisotropic filter to 16x in game settings. 

Edited by spitzer45

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ