Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Jörg Neumann regarding 2021 updates and the Xbox One

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-15-whats-in-store-for-microsoft-flight-simulator-in-2021

[The reception] has been so generous. When you come back after 14 years, you wonder how you're going to be received. You were gone for a while, the segment has moved. But I would say the simmers have been so gracious - so gracious. There's still some that say we need to be more study level - we know, we understand. we're committed, don't worry about it. But those are people that are in the hobby, and I think they see the promise of what this is now and what it will be.

I think we had a lot of people that have never played a sim before, which is great - and quite a few of them stuck around. We knew VFR was always something that people wanted - and it makes the sim more accessible. All of a sudden, you can look outside, it actually looks like the world, it's not abstract. I think it's resonated more, maybe because of the travel restrictions - and all those things that come with a pandemic, but that we see now where people are actually diversifying where they fly.

Obviously we're working on Xbox full speed right now. You end up turning over every stone really, we've looked at every model, exactly what the buffers are with the buffer sizes.... Sometimes you can be a little bit more, well you could say lazy, or you could say maybe not quite as disciplined. With VR you need to be really disciplined. We've found many gigabytes, and it's already quite a bit better.

I guess it's a timing thing (about Microsoft's older console). Obviously memory matters. Certainly on Ultra settings, you need a big PC - well, that's a lot, lot more memory than what you had on an Xbox One. So it's a journey, like most things, you know - let's get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we'll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it's a little bit too early to talk about it.

I mean, it has to be very similar. Is it the exact same? Well, it can't be the exact same because that's not operable. I think that the beautiful dream that Phil [Spencer] and the team at Xbox has is that you can bomb devices, which is really what we're doing. We're learning where people might have some friction points. We think there's going to be more newcomers on Xbox, so you just need to be gentle in how you guide people into the experience, and there's work going on there.

That's going to be on the PC as well for newcomers. But we think it's a good idea to spend a little bit more time on the tutorials. We have a lot of information now on how people go through them, what they learn, what they might have not quite learned, and this is an opportunity to strengthen that a little bit. It's really getting people comfortable, first as a person who plays games and can fly a plane, and then maybe hopefully they become a simmer. But that takes time - and I think our job is to make all that a little bit more elegant.

We're trying to get this to work better (embracing the community-made content). It's great, though, right? Like, I've never had this ever in my career in gaming, that there's that many competent people actually making things. We have direct communication with them all the time. But if they want to go to Xbox, you need to be in the sandbox, meaning we need to get them into the marketplace. Because on Xbox, you can't just drag it into a folder. I think that's going to happen - I'm quite optimistic.

I'm sort of working on late 2021/2022 feature stuff right now. I mean, there's no end. If you ever look at the community snapshot and the things people want us to do - they're like, hey, we want trains, so we're like, Okay!

Ultimately, the goal is to be the most accurate sim it can possibly be. And there's lots of options, and so many areas you can get into. We obviously have our own ideas or preferences, but we listen a lot to what the community wants. And I don't think they will run out of ideas.

• Like 19

That seems well put together, good information.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

How do you find all the news so quickly...?😄

Will go reading now, thanks and kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hey, like I'd really like what's already been promised before, like, you start adding stuff like trains. And since you're like so keen on accuracy, how about fixing the weather before adding stuff like trains.

• Upvote 3

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

18 minutes ago, pmb said:

How do you find all the news so quickly...?😄

Just randomly decided to visit Eurogamer, and first thing I see is a picture of the 747. Seems they were expecting me.

6 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Hey, like I'd really like what's already been promised before, like, you start adding stuff like trains.

Trains are coming in 2022-23, so they are going to do a lot of stuff before adding trains.

• Like 3

I am always kind of weary when a dev is just all positive and is like "Yeah, we know of all the things that are wrong, we will fix them really soon and we will also add everything the community requests AND MUCH MORE and we will also make the sim run just so much better and it will be the best sim ever and it will be much more immersive than a real airplane and yes we have been total idiots for not doing this so far but its coming and we are just super close with all the big devs and they are doing an awesome awesome job and they couldnt be happier with the progress on our SDK and we couldnt be happier with what they are doing and my daughter is getting married to CPT. Randazzo next week and the sim will be superhardcore totally soon but also absolutely accessible and fun for all the kids coming over from Fortnite, so everyone please stay calm and collected..." 😂

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for this, Chaotic, you're a real asset to the community. 👍

• Like 6

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

19 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Trains are coming in 2022-23, so they are going to do a lot of stuff before adding trains.

I understand. All I'm asking is that they fix before add, fix before add. Make it their mantra.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I propose @ChaoticBeauty as community manager over at MS! 😄

He's commited and one of us simmers who knows what we're talking about first hand! 😉

• Like 6

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

51 minutes ago, Janov said:

I am always kind of weary when a dev is just all positive and is like

Maybe because Jörg is not a dev? I don't hear the other guys talk like that. The actual devs are quite humble, down to earth guys. Of course you can't know as you clearly don't care for MSFS except for contributing the ever same argument packed into new outfit. At least you put in some effort. 👍

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 10

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

good read

I'm hopeful that squeezing every ounce of performance from Xbox will mean more optimization for PC.

• Like 3

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Lack of third party mods, which is 100% understandable, would be a deal breaker for me if I'd been waiting for this. That's where much of the fun and passion is. 

It'll be interesting to see if they get some sort of gateway up and running and what's allowed in and what isn't. Their official marketplace is sluggish enough. 

I can only think of one console game, Fallout 4, that did allow mods and it added a lot of enjoyment for me. 

Edited by superspud

1 hour ago, superspud said:

Lack of third party mods, which is 100% understandable, would be a deal breaker for me if I'd been waiting for this. That's where much of the fun and passion is. 

It'll be interesting to see if they get some sort of gateway up and running and what's allowed in and what isn't. Their official marketplace is sluggish enough. 

I can only think of one console game, Fallout 4, that did allow mods and it added a lot of enjoyment for me. 

then you miss a lot, skyrim se has mods on console, as has farming simulator, and snowrunner now too.

there will be prob a few more too.

the real problem is both ms as sony put limits on the console implementations.