Sign in to follow this  
petehowell57

Msfs not booting up

Hi folks,

sorry if this has been asked before but can't find answers at the moment.  Here's the problem. Windows 10 crashed the other day. Fortunately I was able to reinstall using a USB stick.  This left me with a windows.old folder which meant I got 95% of my stuff back on - phew.  However, I seem to have lost part of msfs cuz it won't now start.  The packages were on a separate ssd so they're still there. I've been running msfs via Gamepass but I've now purchased the standard version through Microsoft Store. Can I simply install the bought version effectively over the top of the existing one, and will this "repair" it, or should I uninstall the Gamepass version and start afresh?

I'm so happy to have the OS system back online but devastated that I've lost msfs.  Any help would make an old man very happy.

Thanking you in advance,

Pete

In my experience, if the Windows Store shows you own the sim, and allows you to begin the download and install process, you're in good shape.  When after the initial small download it asks for where to install the content, just point it at your current install location on the seperate ssd.  It won't redownload all of that content, so getting it back up and running should be pretty quick work.  I've run into issues with the download/install not starting from the store.... those are more tricky to solve, and since make weekly system image backups for just that sort of event.   Good Luck

Hi folks,

Sorted.   The reinstallation of windows had changed the ssd drive letter.  Changed it back to the original drive letter(I took a photo of the original desktop just in case)  and it installed and effectively repaired the situation. Just shows it's so easy to overlook the obvious at times!

I'm still not sure whether I've installed my bought edition but I've now cancelled my Gamepass (ends 25/1/21), so I'll see what happens then! 

Pete