Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Just not the same

I was so excited a year ago when I heard about FS 2020, I started planning for it back then.

Did a lot of research, waited for the specs, checked numerous sources, and once it was launched decided on a top of the line PC just for the sim.... I was pumped up and ready!

The sim runs word not allowed near perfect, none of the major issues others seem to have. I waited 2 months after the sim was released to be sure of the specs before buying the machine...I-7....RTX 2080...32 gigs RAM......and in the months since, it sits there on it's own desk, complete with CH yoke, throttle, pedals....and about 5 hours total time, a few of which were spent just 'tweaking' it.

Try as I might, I just can't get excited about 2020, there are too many things I loved about FSX that are missing from 2020. I keep hoping we would see them return on these updates, but so far, they are not even on the 'to do' list. I bought the basic sim because the ultimate had none of the options I wanted, so I planned on buying whatever I wanted when the addons are released. So far that ain't happened. I had over 300 gigs of addon's in FSX, planes, scenery, airports, I have no issue spending money, but so far there has been nothing I am interested in...NADA.

I keep hoping and waiting but even the few dev's I worked with in FSX say it's going to be a long time before complex planes are ready......I am getting real close to firing up FSX again and parking 2020 for the foreseeable future.

Anyone else a bit disappointed in the current state of affairs or am I alone on this?

Edited by PIC007
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Jay

There's a lot of bugs yes.  But I've long since uninstalled p3d and although I do keep xp11 for beta testing, I rarely use it.

I'm mostly enjoying MSFS.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I personally don’t understand how people want to walk back to fsx after MSFS. Sure there is not a lot of airplanes and 3rd party add ons at the moment . But hey, do you remember first couple months with FSX before acceleration pack? How many complex add on you have? Lol

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I personally don’t understand how people want to walk back to fsx after MSFS. Sure there is not a lot of airplanes and 3rd party add ons at the moment . But hey, do you remember first couple months with FSX before acceleration pack? How many complex add on you have? Lol

Then I shall revisit MSFS when they are available.

Edited by Adrian123

13 minutes ago, PIC007 said:

...Anyone else a bit disappointed in the current state of affairs?

No

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

...But hey, do you remember first couple months with FSX before acceleration pack? How many complex add on you have? Lol

People always seem to forget these transitions between one simulator to the next can take 1-2 years at a minimum. 

• Like 10

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

5 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

There's a lot of bugs yes.  But I've long since uninstalled p3d and although I do keep xp11 for beta testing, I rarely use it.

I'm mostly enjoying MSFS.

Completely agree.   The future of our beloved hobby is in a great place again and I’m really looking forward to continued progress.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PIC007 said:

Anyone else a bit disappointed in the current state of affairs or am I alone on this?

We're traditionally always disappointed with the shiny new sim in its first few months of release. FSX took a very long time to get good, and didn't really mature as a base sim until Dovetail tarted it up in 2014, which was eight years after it first came out. It was ten years before the FSL A320 came out for FSX and it was five years after the release of FSX that the iFly 737 NG came out for it and a month or two after that when PMDG managed to get their NG out for it.

P3D was hardly worth bothering with at all until three versions in if you already had FSX unless you added a bunch of DX10 payware add-ons for cloud shadows etc, and XPlane was basically awful for high quality realistic and complex add-ons until MS announced they'd stop making flight sim in 2009, whereupon developers started looking at it as the possible lifeline for add-on sim stuff before P3D really took off, and that was with version ten of XPlane. Not forgetting Aerofly FS2, which even now still lacks a lot of basic functions.

Conversely, we're a few weeks away from getting a CRJ for MSFS. This will be about six months after its release, but this is practically a ballistic rate of progress compared to all of the aforementioned stuff.

I'm not disappointed with MSFS at all, because I can remember all that preceding stuff, and all the stuff before it with the first version of flight sim etc. Asobo is going great guns with progress by comparison. We're just not bothering to remember how tectonically slow it has been for all preceding sims. And if anyone thinks Aces didn't @rse up the patches for FSX, then they've got a pretty short memory and a pair of Ray Bans with pink lenses firmly balanced on their nose. I won't deny that there have been some dodgy moments with patches for MSFS, but the truth is, Asobo is sussing it out pretty quickly and in most cases they sort problematic stuff out after a couple of weeks with another patch, which is particularly impressive given that they are working on all this during the middle of the zombie apocalypse and obviously were under pressure to release it early.

So yeah, it is not the same, it's actually much better than all previous efforts. Would I like a DC-3 and a 737 etc for MSFS right now? Of course I would, but I can guarantee you they'll be in my MSFS hangar a lot quicker than they were for any other flight sim, and when they are, they'll sound better, look better, fly better and run better than they ever would or could in any other sim

Some developers might be crying about having to wait a while to turn on their cash cow for MSFS whilst they await an SDK, but I'm unlikely to shed too many tears for them when they've been driving around in nice cars that I helped to pay for over the past two decades. They've done alright out of us lot thus far, and it won't be long before they'll be doing it all again. And for once it will be in a sim where you don't need to sell a kidney to be able to afford a super-computer which can just about manage 20 FPS the moment it sniffs an add-on aeroplane on your hard drive.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 39
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I did the same exact thing as the opening poster. But i came into it with the knowledge  that there would be no complex jet AC till probably Third or fourth quarter of 2021. What i didn't bargain for was the barrage of update regressions and bugs. But i think the developers are on the correct path now. During the first couple of months i've been "coaxed" into finding different ways to enjoy the sim and that has got me by to this point.  Its a shame that you cant find joy in the sim at the moment but if the only thing your focused on is full on study level AC then yeah. you're going to have a bit of a wait. Additionally,, i read your post and im not seeing much detail in your post as to what exactly is missing from the sim atm  compared to fsx. What are the missing items you are referring to ?

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I put FSX on the shelf back around 2012 because for me it seemed to be moving more into complex aircraft and airline ops which is NOT my personal thing, and also adding any extra aircraft or scenery to a legacy sim seemed a big investment for minimal long-term return. 

MSFS has got me back enthused about civilian sims.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 6

It isnt the same. There is plenty of things I miss from FSX/P3D. 

I miss FSPassengers which I think we can all accept will never happen again even from another developer at this point. I miss having AI Traffic. I miss AI Traffic variety. Its hard to get immersed with generic airplanes around me. I miss GSX. I miss having Pro ATC X or Radar Contact. Its still early though. Alot of these things are being developed as we speak for MSFS.

What I will say is go ahead and fire up FSX and report back what you think. I did the same with P3D once and felt like I was back in 2007 with those graphics and thats with orbx global, payware airports etc....My point is there is alot to appreciate from MSFS right now and we will get everything we used to have to get that immersive feeling eventually. 

1 hour ago, PIC007 said:

I was so excited a year ago when I heard about FS 2020, I started planning for it back then.

Did a lot of research, waited for the specs, checked numerous sources, and once it was launched decided on a top of the line PC just for the sim.... I was pumped up and ready!

The sim runs word not allowed near perfect, none of the major issues others seem to have. I waited 2 months after the sim was released to be sure of the specs before buying the machine...I-7....RTX 2080...32 gigs RAM......and in the months since, it sits there on it's own desk, complete with CH yoke, throttle, pedals....and about 5 hours total time, a few of which were spent just 'tweaking' it.

Try as I might, I just can't get excited about 2020, there are too many things I loved about FSX that are missing from 2020. I keep hoping we would see them return on these updates, but so far, they are not even on the 'to do' list. I bought the basic sim because the ultimate had none of the options I wanted, so I planned on buying whatever I wanted when the addons are released. So far that ain't happened. I had over 300 gigs of addon's in FSX, planes, scenery, airports, I have no issue spending money, but so far there has been nothing I am interested in...NADA.

I keep hoping and waiting but even the few dev's I worked with in FSX say it's going to be a long time before complex planes are ready......I am getting real close to firing up FSX again and parking 2020 for the foreseeable future.

You don't say much about what you miss about FSX that you don't find in FS2020? I'm guessing study level airliners? 

I wouldn't sell all the flight sim equipment just yet, the sim is continously expanding. There's so much happening which is on the horizon now. Scenery, airports and aircraft. Both freeware and payware. So much in the pipeline, and so much out already. 
Go visit the freeware sites like MSFS Addons, flightsim dot to, Nexus mods and so on. 

What I've done so far with addons, is fixing, and adding to Norway.. now the whole country is just about done, with everything you need. I'm exploring places I haven't been, and revisiting places I have been. 
I've flown flights in Africa recreating a journey I took in the real world a few years ago. What a nice experience that was. I spotted elephants drinking from a lake 1000 feet below me.. completley by chance. It was amazing.
I've also visited ancient monuments, geologic features almost nobody knows about. They're here in the sim. I like flying expeditionary missions, landing in a river bed or the side of a hill with the Cub. Then I pop the drone and fly around discovering new things. I love it. 
I hope you'll find that thing you miss and decide to stay, there's so much positivity on the horizon right now. Maybe there are things in FS2020 that you didn't have in FSX that you could like even more. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Anyone somebody everybody please tell us how great FSX was in 2006-early 2007. It took me till 2013 to get an A2A type aircraft.  Did not even bother with PMDG because it would not end well with my current PC at the time??? these treads are endless and pointless. Lets wait a year before we determined the glory or horror of MSFS.

BTW I still use the blurry choppy scenery popin FSX on my current up to date p.c. Perhaps 2004 would of been a better example it was way better than FSX.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PIC007 said:

the few dev's I worked with in FSX say it's going to be a long time before complex planes are ready..

I think it just depends what your expectations are. Everyone has different priorities as you can already see in this thread.

But if it's more complex planes you want, I'd encourage you to at least try out our (Working Title) CJ4 and the FBW A320NX. Both add significant capabilities to the aircraft when compared with default.

In the CJ4 we now support most complex functions and we add new features almost weekly. At this point it's pretty mature, though there's still plenty we're working on.

It's worth trying out at least...

• Like 8

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, PIC007 said:

I agree with You! The first "launch" back in august 2020 was a hit! But then, after several updates, things has defenently changed. Someone alse wrote som good and true words a while ago here in this forum. "these so called updates messes things up more than they fix"

I think that says a lot... 

I visit this forum from now and then, for fun, just "checking", thats all. MSFS? No, long time ago now... I simply got bored.

• Upvote 1

MSFS has changed how I sim.  I've lost a lot of interest in tubeliners (which was 90% of my flying in P3D) and spend most of my sim time exploring the world in GA.  Most of my longer distance IFR time is taken up in the WT CJ4.  Every once and a while I fire up P3D to take the FSL Airbus for a ride, but honestly, most of that is me wanting to get some use out of my Skalarki hardware.  If we saw compatibility between Skalarki hardware and the FBW A320N, I'd probably never fly P3D again.  FSX is a distant memory well beyond P3D.

• Like 7

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU