Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Air Tahiti - Carenado ATR 72-500

During my HS748 post, I learned that ATR was one of the two (worthy) turboprops (the other being Dash 8), that were already established and entrenched, in this niche (short-haul regional/commuter) market, ahead by just a few years, compared to the next (advanced) variant of HS748, the "BAe ATP". [Side Note: In 1977, HS would merge, along withe 2 other constituents, to form BAe (lower-case "e" in the name). Then, in 1999, BAe, via acquisition and merger, would form the BAE Systems (note upper-case "E" here)]. The BAe ATP turboprop would not, however, be able to gain sufficient market-share, and its production would cease after 8 years, after only 65 units were produced. For comparison, I've, included, below, 2 images of the (good-looking) BAe ATP in the colors of LTU and QANTAS, (please see the first 2 screenshots).

Following the first 2 screenshots, please find, next, a (sample) collection of images of the ATR 72-500 (ATR also has a longer variant 72-600). For this post, I've chosen the (attractive) livery of Air Tahiti for illustration of this plane. Air Tahiti is the Airline of (beautiful) French Polynesia, which comprises of more than 100 islands in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean.

The pictures are at Faa'a International Airport (NTAA), the international airport of French Polynesia, located in the commune of Faa'a, on the island of Tahiti. The images are captured from takeoff to 10,000 altitude, off Rwy 22. Hope you enjoy these pictures (angled and close-up, for a bit of enhanced (virtual) familiarity)) of this highly successful  turboprop, which is also popular worldwide. [I have had the pleasure of traveling in the ATR-(42/72?) a couple of times...(indeed an excellent short-haul airliner)...]

Thanks for viewing...!!

[Carenado(ATR72), Freeware (BAe ATP)]

s3aRWy.png

uX7M3B.png

AJgGLd.png

3UG1ZW.png

3hAqvd.png

QEIuR8.png

Hv5zjv.png

RCZ7Ay.png

2Bfiti.png

p6OoXY.png

1oC9m6.png

w6kQ0s.png

hcpJwx.png

MuOfjI.png

gGCkiv.png

NIo5Il.png

8dGbXX.png

bMNCoa.png

3r9kVm.png

r2DMUA.png

• Like 6

With snow and sub-zero temperatures outside, Tahiti sure would be a nice alternative 🙂

Comparing the looks of BAe ATP and ATR 72, the low-wing ATP sure looks better, more airliner-like to me. It is a pity these good looking aircraft didn´t find more operators. Of originally more than 60 built, only 30 or so are still flying, most ot them in northern Europe and the UK, many converted to freighters. BtW, is it the Enigma ATP?

• Like 1

Intel core i5-9600KF,  ASRock H310CM-HDV/M2, G.Skill DDR4-2666 32GB, Asus Geforce RTX 4060 TI 16GB, Samsung SSD 980 1 TB M.2 SSD

Lovely set. Looks like Carenado did a good job.

I am very keen to make an ATR cockpit myself but am lacking the necessary photos right now.

• Like 1

duesenwerni: I posted a set of ATP (Airline) images, for your pleasure...and fascination with this plane...🙂...(same for me, too, btw)...

Ed: Thanks. In appearance and appeal of aircraft, you cannot fault Carenado, but,...you can "spruce" it up a bit for yourself, including systems and FMS, it might be a worthwhile project...as a "turboprop" diversion...🙂...

Schwarzgruber:  Appreciated..!!

• Like 2