Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FSX.cfg Question

In the fsx.cfg are the gauges that are listed the trusted gauges that are OK to run or the non-trusted gauges that are not? I am trying to troubleshoot a window in a panel of an imported panel that crashes FSX. I get no error notice in the gauges. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest kilotango

Hiya BobIf the panel is made for fs9 you will in many of them get problems. FSX will not allow old gauges, ex fs98, to work. And I've noticed that ini and dsd files are having big trubbles. That goes for a lot of sound too, in-and outside. If your window needs FSUIPC you can get a new free for FSX at Dougs place.Cheers

Bob, the list of gauges in the fsx.cfg are the one's that have been "approved as Trusted..."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill. I have an SU-34 plane with old FS98 gauges in the panel. I just clicked through over 50 times on the non-trusted gauges check block that appears before the plane would showup. Guess what - the gauges that were supposedly non-trusted show up in the FSXcfg file in the trusted area. I know that the gauges are FS98 types. They don't show up in the panel. Most of the gauges are RU_ type gauges. I am really confused. Whoever at Aces setup this method of gauge detection should be hung! It is stupid to have to sit there and repeatedly click on the warning only to have them show up as trusted. There should have been one simple warning that there were FS98 gauges and that they will not work or be used rather than this method. Sorry for my rant. Best regards, Bob.

The Trusted/Non-Trusted stuff has nothing to do directly with gauges, just that they are the main non-MS supplied DLL's that folks use in FSX. You will get the same prompts (and the same stuff in the FSX.CFG file) for SimConnect DLL based addons. This is a Microsoft security requirement (basically, if the app loads code that it doesn't own and hasn't seen before, it has to ask the users permission first).There's a second dialog that shows for some gauges if they are in an older format and we expect that the gauge won't work.Tim

Hi Tim. Thanks for the info. So the fact that they show up in the fsx.cfg with all the coded stuff after the gau name does not mean that the gauge will work. What does the =0 or =2 mean at the end? I am sorry I blamed Aces and should have directed my comment at MS instead. Best regards, Bob.

The only thing that the lines in the FSX.CFG file mean is that you said that you trusted the DLL, along with the encoded info so we can determine if the DLL with the same name still matches the one you loaded last time.Sorry, don't know what the =0 and =2 means, I didn't do any work on that part of the app :-> Might denote whether the DLL is signed or not.And technically, ACES is Microsoft (Aces is a Studio within the Microsoft Games Studios, which in turn is under some other group - used to be the Entertainment Business Unit (EBU), but I think we have a different name now :-> )This is basically similar to how IE pops up a dialog anytime a webpage tries to run or install an ActiveX or similar type module.Of course, these dialog prompt based systems generally don't work because users just get into the habit of hitting Yes or OK or Run or whatever the particular app uses on its dialog (I mean, these are the same users the system was trying to protect from themselves in the first place :-> ).Tim

Hi Tim. Thanks for the new info. I was just knocking them for the method they employed. When you have a panel with 50-60 gauges that are FS98 (in a plane with a GREAT model that you want to keep) saying OK over 60 times is a little too much. There should have been a panel scan that listed all of the gauges in one window and one prompt for the decision to run them or not. The backwards compatability of FSX is one of my main gripes. Best regards, Bob.