Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Shocking!

One thing pointed out in my first SPL lesson this weekend was the ground on the left main gear of my Allegro. The CFI pointed out that once he did not notice during preflignt that the static discharge ground was not touching terra firma. He took the aircraft out for a spin, came back, exited the aircraft, touched metal and....zap.I thought that was one important tidbit to remind of the importance of preflighting any aircraft and sticking to a checklist. And, if you don't fly and are simply along for the ride, always let the Pilot exit first--just in case :)-John

Guest RiddlePilot

How about a picture of this ground? I'm not familiar with the Allegro aircraft, and I've never seen a Cessna that has anything other than the tires touching the ground.

Next time I am out I will try to get a picture. Can't see it on any stock Allegro pics I can find.-John

Interesting... never seen anything like that before. How often does it need to be replaced, do you know?

Good question--don't know the answer. The EAA had a sport pilot expo today at Falcon Field though--in the "real" aviation screenshot forum, I will be posting some more pictures of the other aircraft at the show.Today I got to fly a SportsStar (www.evektor.com). The Sales team/pilots on site were kind enough to give me a demo flight and I got about 20 minutes of stick time with this beautiful aircraft. Whereas the Allegro I am learning in is very sensitive and looks for a fair amount of rudder in turns, the SportsStar, although a bit slower, was very stable. For a novice like me with only 90 minutes total flight time, I was stunned I could turn and maintain altitude, and maintain altitude to +/- 20 feet in level flight. That was different than my experience in the Allegro, which requires a !much! lighter touch. I can see the SportsStar being a great cross country cruiser for long flights. I imagine the Allegro, once I get more experienced, will feel the same way. But the SportsStar is something else. Stalls were easy--a bit of stick shake, center the stick, recovery with very little loss of altitude. I can't compare that to the Allegro yet as I haven't done stalls in it yet, but I am glad I had a chance to at least perceive the sensation and get over that psychological hurdle.I am working from home tonight, but I'll try to free up some time to post pics from today's show here.-JohnEdit: Here is a link with pics of today's expo:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1371&page=

John,Are you training for you sport certificate?I'm trying to get my PPL... I have about 17 hours right now.

"Are you training for you sport certificate?"Yep--way behind you though. By the end of March, weather (and my skills) permitting, I should be about halfway to solo. I hope to solo before my birthday in May, but I'd rather live to see my birthday and solo after that if my CFI thinks things need to go in that direction :)-John

lol no worries though, you'll get there... it took me a long time but I got there. In fact, the last time I flew was my first solo flight. Check out this post for pics and info:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=25162&page=andhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=25166&page=It's the best thing I've ever experienced!I'm looking forward to hearing about your solo :)How are you going about the lessons? Are you flying as much as finances will allow or is it more of a time/weather concern?

"How are you going about the lessons? Are you flying as much as finances will allow or is it more of a time/weather concern?"Time concerns (weather in AZ is almost a non issue). I can only get up once a week, and the drive to the flight school where I am taking my training is a good hour each way. There are CFI's closer, in Glendale. But they are teaching in Challengers and I would really like to get my training in an Allegro or equivalent so I can get my speed, Class C and Class B signoffs-John

I hear ya... I started my training in a 172 with a very unreliable CFI at an airport that was an hour away as well... decided to go with a school that was only 13 minutes away, had a great family-run environment, and maintained their planes very well. Plus I love what I fly (PA-28-140/180)... more so than the 172. However, I'm flying only when money allows me to.

Interesting! I'd always thought aircaft tyres were designed to be conductive to avoid the problem of static. I live and learn!

Guest Adverse Yawn

I have heard of neither! All I know is that all the relevant parts are bonded with wire and so static is release to the atmosphere through whicks extending back from the aircraft at various points. I must admit that I have always found electricity a slippery subject, why would anything need to touch the ground?

I have to wonder if it is the amount of composite used, or the mix of composite and metal. This aircraft has metal wings, but a composite fuse.-John