Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Downtown Buildings look Mushy

I am not sure I am describing this properly, or if there is even a problem. I was flying around NYC and until I got very close the city, it looked very odd, almost like I was looking at another planet. Once I was essentially right on top of the city, it looked liked NYC but was not very crisp. Are the cities supposed to look good from a distance? Perhaps because I have limited time in MSFS I am not sure what it should look like. I do have several items in my community folder and have run updates without removing those items first. Is that a problem? It seems from what I have read that it may very well be (dumb move on my part if so). If so, should I pull the items out of the community folder before running updates? Lastly, how do I fix MSFS to look good again? I apologize in advance if I am not being very clear, but thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

It's a known issue with photogrammetry cities. You may play a bit with settings like zoom but probably not get completely rid of it. 

There's a topic on this in the official forum and Asobo confirmed it's under investigation (but no date yet).

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

28 minutes ago, pmb said:

It's a known issue with photogrammetry cities. You may play a bit with settings like zoom but probably not get completely rid of it. 

There's a topic on this in the official forum and Asobo confirmed it's under investigation (but no date yet).

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael, I was convinced that I broke something.

Cheers, Pete

Just located some of the posts on the official forum. I believe my issue is the “melted buildings” issue. Chicago looks grotesque.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

I've noticed something about photo buildings of late and it's certainly not because I've turned anything down - in fact I've swapped out a 2700 for a 5600x and turned most of my settings up.

Funny how I can always increase my FPS hugely by upgrading a CPU or a GPU and find that within a couple of weeks can almost get them back down to where they were 🙂

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I tried messing around with the settings, but no success unless I turn off photogrammetry. Unfortunately that results in generic buildings.

Cheers, Pete

I get the feeling that something changed in the last update that caused the melted buildings. I'm sure they were not that bad before.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Its an annoying bug... from afar cities look like black pyramids for me... as you get closer the look better, but not great until you are right over top. Mountains also morph, and of course the water coastline glitch.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

Its an annoying bug... from afar cities look like black pyramids for me... as you get closer the look better, but not great until you are right over top. Mountains also morph, and of course the water coastline glitch.

Yeah I see the same thing, different sized pyramids and other odd formations. Definitely an immersion killer. The Freedom Tower in NYC looked as if it had a poorly done mural painted on the side, very strange.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I tried messing around with the settings, but no success unless I turn off photogrammetry. Unfortunately that results in generic buildings.

Cheers, Pete

I did the same. It is currently the best solution if we don't want to see melted, pyramidal or blocky buildings, trees, cranes, bridges, ...

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

This seems more like an optimization to me, as rendering these buildings in super high detail would bring the sim to a stuttering halt.

"Photogrammtery off" removes the issue but I don't consider it a solution, at least not for VFR. And as most observe, it's not a settings thing either. I am not even sure it's  performance-related, given, photogrammetry is some kind of mesh and all MFS/ESP-based simulators, including MSFS, have a tendency to morph ground, even more for high-resolution mesh which photogrammetry basically is.

Rather, we should go on pointing Asobo to this. There will be a next Q&A at the end of January, I already voted for the photogrammetry question, all concerned should do the same.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-will-poor-photogrammetry-lod-be-fixed/351518/7

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, cianpars said:

I get the feeling that something changed in the last update that caused the melted buildings. I'm sure they were not that bad before.

Basically this has been with us since early alpha, perhaps with marginal changes only.

Kind regards, Michael

26 minutes ago, pmb said:

"Photogrammtery off" removes the issue but I don't consider it a solution, at least not for VFR. And as most observe, it's not a settings thing either. I am not even sure it's  performance-related, given, photogrammetry is some kind of mesh and all MFS/ESP-based simulators, including MSFS, have a tendency to morph ground, even more for high-resolution mesh which photogrammetry basically is.

Rather, we should go on pointing Asobo to this. There will be a next Q&A at the end of January, I already voted for the photogrammetry question, all concerned should do the same.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-will-poor-photogrammetry-lod-be-fixed/351518/7

Kind regards, Michael

I am like you in that I just deal with it for VFR... Once I am over top it is pretty cool. Oh well, it is what it is... hasn't stopped me from many, many hours in the sim.