Sign in to follow this  

Starting with what I run:  P3D v4.5; PMDG 737 NGXu; Active Sky P3D; Rex Environment Force; FS2Crew; ORBX Global Base Pack; Maybe a half dozen payware airport sceneries from Drzewiezki designs.

My system from Jetline:  Windows 10 64 bit; MOBO Z390 Aorus Pro wifi LGA 1151; Intel 9th Gen Core i7 9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) 8 core; Corsair hydro H60 120mm liquid cooling; 16GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super GDDR6; 480GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe M.2.  3 monitors; main one a Dell 1440p.  

I feel my sim settings are fairly conservative and I run smoothly, normally in the 30's fps, often much higher depending on the conditions.  None of my setting sliders are maxed out.  Terrain/tessellation factor high; scenery very dense, water detail medium; special effects low; shadows low.

I'm a better pilot than computer guy so looking for some advice.  What is my bottleneck?  Or is this about as good as you can expect with P3D and some addons? 

Bob Koehler  

Edited by BobKinSTL
Update

I don't think you will see much improvement by upgrading your CPU. At least not with P3D.   Although LM has made several improvements over the years to take better advantage of multiple cores,  P3D is still primarily a single core dependent program. Faster clock speed will make a much bigger difference then number of cores. 

You already have a fast CPU at 4.9 GHz turbo. You might be able to overclock that a bit more.   I just upgraded my Pc from a I7-8700K that I overclocked to 5.0 GHz, to a I9-10900K, which is overclocked to 5.1 GHz.  The upgrade has barley made any difference with P3D. Certainly not worth the cost of a new CPU and Motherboard. 

Now, with MSFS and other games that really take take advantage of multiple cores, it has made a big difference. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Seems to me a very balanced computer that is good enough voor P3D v.4.5. (and 5). Decent CPU and decent GPU. Maybe you can overlclock your processor (it's a K type and you have liquid cooling). 

Unless of course you go for VR and/or 4K monitor.

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.  I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.  If and when PMDG comes out with a 737 for MSFS I'll reevaluate.

• Like 2

Bob,

I upgraded from 9900K to 10850K and I see less stuttering and smother experience.  I also upgraded my RAM to 3600 and have a 3080 Video card.   But I did the journey in pieces over the last 3 months.   The 9900K to 10850K made a difference in my opinion.  It comes down to return on your investment.  It worked for me.

Edited by markmasterson

I made what I would consider a huge jump. Overall, while faster, I'm disappointed in the actual results.

There is no way I'd be happy with upgrading the cpu on your system.