Sign in to follow this  
themose

Future of X-plane

16 hours ago, mSparks said:

back on topic.

Now that theyve mastered the flight sim part, and the looks are almost sorted even for the most vain of flight simmers (even if they dont know it yet).

I think maybe they should do  little more on the roads, simming the drive to and from the airport is by far the biggest weakness in the sim at the moment.

Great video, compared to FSX X-Plane scenery has greatly evolved and the ground scenery looks great and credible. It feels like an old Operation Flashpoint game for example and further more, it does not look like some ground scenery has just been splashed onto the ground.

Austin knows what he does, there`s is a good reason why he does not want to implement ortho images. Google Earth does have some errors (altough  less than Bing Earth) and second, auto generated buildings look strange because many times the contours of the auto generated buildings don`t match the contours of the satellite imageginery (I don`t know why MSFS is so proud about their auto generated building technology).

YouTube.

The perfect evidence this is not GTA :D. In MSFS the car would fly a straight line upwards, until it reaches space, MSFS developers with their highly intellectual skills would realize they can move to space in the game, of course in a GTA V manner.

1 hour ago, BigDee said:

would realize they can move to space in the game

Another place msfs needs to catch up. I hope we have a resurgence of low earth orbit for the next XP version, the old stuff is really feeling its age. MSFS should also go for it, FPS is higher in space because there is near zero friction FPS can speed up, maybe they could get reasonable framerates.

5HAqFlK.png

Perhaps Asobo could pay NASA to get the space shuttle back in orbit so they can record data during the flight of how it should fly (although I suspect they didn't budget spending that much on gliders).

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Topic might as well be closed, there are no news anyway. All we know is that at some point there will be some improvements to something.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, peroni said:

Topic might as well be closed, there are no news anyway. All we know is that at some point there will be some improvements to something.

If you dont want to read the topic, you are more than welcome to just not click on it.

we are already overdue major announcements.

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, peroni said:

And that sums it up for me. Why LR do not engage with the community like Asobo does is beyond me?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

And that sums it up for me. Why LR do not engage with the community like Asobo does is beyond me?

Don't you know, it's all super top-secret life-threatening stuff... serious secrets are to be had in the flight sim world 🤪

• Like 1

And for those who can´t wait for updated scenery - maybe try this one?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mSparks said:

mparbEj.png

is what to expect from future xplane default scenery (only better).

still waiting for the msfs version, so simple to upload to imgur I can only assume its really bad or you would be leaping all over the opportunity to prove me wrong.

Not really, I just didnt bother because the discussion was turning into something that resembled a disagreement with a blind person about the beauty of rainbows.

I agree with Peroni, the thread might as well be closed if no one wants to discuss what LR could or should be doing to improve xplane in version 12 anymore.

34 minutes ago, Janov said:

And for those who can´t wait for updated scenery - maybe try this one?

Very good looking! That's the kind of quality scenery that would benefit immensely from an improved lighting engine.

While most people talk about the streamed scenery and photogrammetry, I think instead that the biggest challenge for LR is a modern lighting engine. That's where MFS raised the bar (along with weather etc.). Hopefully LR will bring something of similar level, it needs that to remain competitive in visuals.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

11 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

I agree with Peroni, the thread might as well be closed if no one wants to discuss what LR could or should be doing to improve xplane in version 12 anymore.

I'd normally agree, but such topics keep appearing regularly.. it's something people want to talk about, and so far, the topic has remained civil if not a bit repetitive.

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Very good looking! That's the kind of quality scenery that would benefit immensely from an improved lighting engine.

This is my view.... I think such scenery will look pretty epic under a new lighting engine... Something I'm very looking forward to seeing

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Because it just gives people reason to complain, we want it and we want it now...

Oh but you said.

But that date has passed

But you promised

Now we want to see fly pooh on the windscrren

This day and age people are never satisfied, sign of this generation.

• Like 1

Maybe it's wise.... people are still hyped over MFS (although that is calming down now).

We've had years of nothing, failures (Flight, FSW) etc... LR could post now and get pushed down and shot with the MFS hype, or they wait it out a bit until people are looking for something better...

I do think both are targeting different audiences.. MFS is going for xbox, XP is going for the geeks... so let's see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, tonywob said:

LR could post now

I properly suspect they actually can't post now - like legally. 

A PS5 release (Sony are huge on Lua...) would be epic, already has solid, industry leading VR support built in, they are more or less already code compatible (Playstation is BSD/POSIX based) and aside from a few things that Sony would require them to fix, more than good enough quality to get on the Playstation store.....

Then keep hearing things like "working on things internally to enable them to say something"

First thing in a very long time I'll be disappointed (rather than happy) to be wrong about, and yeah - I am biased towards the quality standards of SIE, but even if I am wrong now - they really should.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

If there are really only 5 developers in X-Plane, there `s one advantage: It`s much different if you have to pay salaries for 4 people, or a complete army, as it is in MSFS. Some did foresee LR will get bankrupt against MSFS, but I think Austin is in a much comfortable position. He has different incomes (he`s smart) and paying 4 employees is really not difficult from the success X-Plane has.

I think the current implementation of Vulkan is an indicator that X-Plane 12 might be currently in the beginning and a long way to go. On the other hand, prior X-Plane releases were released frequently. Who knows.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, BigDee said:

If there are really only 5 developers in X-Plane, there `s one advantage: It`s much different if you have to pay salaries for 4 people

Keeping costs down is always a good business practice. Making customers finish the product is not.

• Like 1