Sign in to follow this  
Denwagg

Better ATC Sounds for Pilot2ATC Using Voicemeter banana

I made a video on how to get better sounds out of Pilot2ATC today.

Hope you like it

regards

Dennis Waggoner

• Like 2

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

I've been looking for audio control like this for a long time.  Got it and it works great.  Thanks.

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

Thank you for the Video.

I found that sometimes P2A uses the primary audio output device instead of the virtual audio cable. You also mentioned it into the video, right?

@Dave-Pilot2ATC Did you noticed this issue too?

Windows: Microsoft Windows (R) 10 Pro, Hardware:  Intel i9-10900K,  32GB DDR4 Ram,  GTX 1080,  SSD M2 512GB (System),  SSD M2 1TB (Data), 
Software:  X-Plane 11.51, Pilot2ATC v2.6.2.3_r2, MSFS2020 

That video is no longer available, but I found this one, which seems to talk about the same thing (perhaps it's the same one?):

Very useful, it greatly improves the realism of the AI voice by making it sound like a radio! 

However, I wish that the ATC chatter was not impacted by the equalizer since it already sounds like a radio.

So a feature request for Pilot2ATC would be to provide a different output channel for chatter and for the AI voices. Or even better, provide that radio sound effect to the AI voices out of the box (without needing to set up this whole Voicemeter Banana workaround). It could be controlled by a checkbox in the config for those who don't want it.  @Dave-Pilot2ATC is that something you would consider adding?

Also, I did have the issue reported by @Dornus

Edited by charliearon
embed video

As the video looked a little bit complicated to me, I did some investigations today and found a free (meaning "donation ware") equalizer plugin at  https://www.fxsound.com/

It sets (locks !) itself as the Windows "Default sound device" and, if switched on, runs its equalizer against the sound, playing through the real sound device (speaker or headset) selected in its menu.

A first test was setup very simple: installing the fxsound plugin and set the equalizer to cut-off frequencies below 1 kHZ and above ~2.5 kHz, Clarity and Ambience to 0. Then setting it as output device in P2A.

I ran it just for some minutes, only a short test. CPU consumption ~3% on one core seems neglible, but I have to check this on longer flights.

Disadvantage: if I change the default sound output in Windows Sound, it is reset immediately to "FxSound Speakers".

No problem for P3D, as I set P3D environmental sounds in the sound options directly to the MB Realtek output (to my speakers), but I have to remember this for other simulations and games that use just the default sound device:

The equalizer function can be turned off, but I have to change the real output device in the plugin menu from my Sennheiser headset (used for P2A) to my speakers / Realtek mainboard out for  everything else, basically no problem but a little bit inconvenient. At the moment, I'm not sure whether it's advantage or drawback...

Edited by QuaxTheSnoopie
Small correcton

This actually works really well. Engine sounds, etc., can be routed to the main speakers and bypass the equalizer completely (select "output device" in Windows audio mixer for each program running). Then P2A's sound can be routed through the equalizer by itself (again, using Windows audio mixer).

You can have full frequency sound for the flight sim program, while having P2A's sound routed through the equalizer.

Works well.

2 hours ago, Ramberga said:

... Engine sounds, etc., can be routed to the main speakers and bypass the equalizer completely (select "output device" in Windows audio mixer for each program running). Then P2A's sound can be routed through the equalizer by itself (again, using Windows audio mixer)...

I set the output of Prepar3D directly to my Realtek Audio on the mainboard, from there to my speakers, and the output of P2A to fxsound and fxsound to my earphones.

Regarding the "locking" of the Windows Sound "Default Device" by fxsound, I got the following answer in their forum:

Good evening Kevin,
I think setting FxSound as the Default Communications Device should be possible without causing any difficulties.
It’s actually a bullet point of advice in my standard troubleshooting list, to try setting it as the Default Communications Device, in case setting it as the Default Device is problematic.

Meanwhile, I found other tools to get an immersive VHF radio sound from P2A:
https://forum.fxsound.com/t/inability-to-get-fx-sound-to-function/2220/2
but some of them seem to be buggy and other one's are not free - as I found on my Google search.

Edited by QuaxTheSnoopie
Precise sentence