Sign in to follow this  
Muskoka

Way too many ctd's

Almost every flight now. I have a Steam install, Premium Deluxe, purchased about 2.5 weeks ago. Only mods presently installed are the A320 fbw, and Navigraph. I find it hard to believe they are the issue, or a lot of others would be having the same problem. Checking Discord, and the forums, this is not the case. Sure I could remove them, but it's not the issue, for the reasons I gave above. And, this has only really started in the last 2 or 3 days, this bad. I've also tried various combinations of other mods, and still get the ctd's. And yes, it's the same with no mods.

System is i5-9600k, 1080ti, 32gb ram, Win 10 Pro. I don't have issues with anything else I run. Nothing is overclocked, and windows is managing the pagefile. I'd like to verify the files in Steam but apparently that's a no go. Everything is installed in the content manager, and up to date. 

I'm kind of at a loss. I can tell exactly when it's going to happen because the sound starts to act up, crackle, and then boom to desktop. Has anyone else experienced the same with the sound, it's the only "warning" I get that something is about to happen. Always seems to be about 20 mins, to half an hour, into a flight.

What else should I be checking, other than mods, I get the ctd's regardless.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

The sound issue would be making me think that somewhere somehow the base program is running out of steam, and so I'd be inclined to check the streaming of scenery and how it is pulling it down, storing it, binning it off when you hit your size limit and all that kind of stuff. I know that when I was getting lock ups after a while in flights, this was my thought process and it did indeed turn out to be the solution, with me altering all that stuff to make sure there was plenty of overhead for streaming scenery and when the sim chooses to purge stuff.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just to narrow down the culprit:

- disable Azure ATC to Windows Offline

- disable all other live services except weather, i.e. Multiplayer, AI Traffic, Live Traffic

see whether that helps. It did. for me. Until MS finds a fix. A little lonely in the sky but as long as I have the modded neo and live weather - all good

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Thank you for the response. 

Under data everything is on except Photogrammetry, Live Real World air traffic, and Multilayer. 

I also have rolling cache on, 8gb, and the manual cache, 25gb, but I haven't used it yet. 

Azure atc is off, set to Windows offline. 

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Try a flight without Navigragh and Simlink installed.  My CTD went away when I uninstalled them.

This was with the current AIRAC cycle 2014 rev 3.

Edited by Breeze
  • Like 1

--- Jim  ---

I have, still happens. I've scoured the Navigraph forums, and there's no mention of people having ctd's with it installed. If it was the issue the forums would have at least some posts about it, I think. 

I'm kind of at the end of my search, but thought I'd ask here before a complete reinstall. The last couple days I've been trying different things, but the ctd's aren't going away. 

Only thing I can't try, and I'm sure needs to be done, is verify the Steam Install. That problem really needs to be sorted out. 

Edited by Muskoka

I also have audio crackle now and then.

Try installing updated chipset drivers for the motherboard (including the sound chip). It can cure a lot of issues.

edit: Also try plugging any peripherals into different USB ports. That has fixed the audio crackle for me in the past. You might have to save your controller profiles first and load them when you've changed ports.

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

It's a Msi z370 gaming plus, and I have all the latest drivers installed, as well as the bios. Besides, if it was system software, or a hardware issue, I'd see problems elsewhere , and that's not happening. I'm not about to change my system around, just to suit Msfs 2020, if that makes sense. The system is fine with everything else I do, and as up to date as it can be. 

It's definitely something specific to this program, but I'm getting nowhere trying to diagnose it. Think I'll just bite the bullet and reinstall. Internet is not an issue, no cap, and install was just over 2 hours so no biggie, just a pain to have to do. 

I haven't tried swapping usb ports, something I can easily test. 

Edited by Muskoka
  • Like 1

Are you using an external programs (flight planning/mapping, Twitch overlay, fancy simpit controls including the drivers for the Honeycomb Bravo, flight logging, etc) that connect to the sim with SimConnect?  There are known bugs int SimConnect causing CTDs right now.

Do you have a SimConnect client install on your PC from another sim?

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

36 minutes ago, Muskoka said:

I also have rolling cache on, 8gb, and the manual cache, 25gb, but I haven't used it yet

then also disable these two, no need for it anway with 32GB unless you have a bad internet connection. some people say disabling rolling cache helped them. 

EDIT one of these MSFS mysteries, just started MSFS and now I have the click to continue screen, did not change anything, promised

Edited by DAD
  • Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Not running anything other than the sim, no Simconnect, Saitek yoke, throttle quadrant, pedals. I'll try disabling the caches and see what happens. Internet is fiber, 950 up / down consistently.

Edited by Muskoka

Something else - several people with 1080s have reported CTDs which have gone away when they chose a VSYNC option that reduced their GPU useage to <100% (like fixed 30fps framerate), or downclocked their cards slightly closer to the 'baseline' clocks if they were "factory overclocked" cards.  There was just a giant thread like that a couple of weeks ago...  ICs do age over time and with these 1080s being 5 years old now, the sim might be finding stability edge cases that other software doesn't hit.

What's your power supply?  The face that it happens after several minutes and is accompanied by sounds would lean toward some kind of heat/power issue to me.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Delete or clear the rolling catch and are u using LittleNavmap ? ( No Garantie but could be, so just try it )

There are issues with LNM and simconnect where simconnect seems the issue ( Asobo are aware of that )

so if you use it fly without it, hopefully they can bring a fix with the 26.Januar Update for that 🤔

Also it could be some scenery in your community folder..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Since a week I am testing the Prosim 737 NG in MSFS.

No issues till today : when loading my favorite airport MSFS crashed while loading into the scenery. It happened twice.

Then I rebooted the pc and loading MSFS went normal, however after 20 min again a CTD :

Issue MoAppCrash 
Faulty module : MicrosoftFlightsimulator ....exe

I have a 3090 that is not OC, memory that is not OC. Only my cpu is OC since 4 years. Low temps. Liquid cooling system. Running P3D stable for years.

Remarkable that all issues happened today...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

People are reporting increasing 'page file' under Windows 10 will help with CTD. Google how to do it.

As always, your miles may vary, but it is a simple thing to try....

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.