Sign in to follow this  
Muskoka

Way too many ctd's

3 hours ago, Muskoka said:

Almost every flight now. I have a Steam install, Premium Deluxe, purchased about 2.5 weeks ago. Only mods presently installed are the A320 fbw, and Navigraph. I find it hard to believe they are the issue, or a lot of others would be having the same problem. Checking Discord, and the forums, this is not the case. Sure I could remove them, but it's not the issue, for the reasons I gave above. And, this has only really started in the last 2 or 3 days, this bad. I've also tried various combinations of other mods, and still get the ctd's. And yes, it's the same with no mods.

System is i5-9600k, 1080ti, 32gb ram, Win 10 Pro. I don't have issues with anything else I run. Nothing is overclocked, and windows is managing the pagefile. I'd like to verify the files in Steam but apparently that's a no go. Everything is installed in the content manager, and up to date. 

I'm kind of at a loss. I can tell exactly when it's going to happen because the sound starts to act up, crackle, and then boom to desktop. Has anyone else experienced the same with the sound, it's the only "warning" I get that something is about to happen. Always seems to be about 20 mins, to half an hour, into a flight.

What else should I be checking, other than mods, I get the ctd's regardless.

I have a pretty identical rig and haven't had any issues

What driver are you using? I recently rolled back to 456.71 because I was getting random Vulkan related crashes in X-Plane 11 with the latest driver. This one worked perfectly in both the sims. Even though you have no overclock have you done any simple stress testing to check the stability of your system? I would also perform a memory check. I had some random CTD's in X-plane 11 around a year ago and found one of my sticks of RAM was bad.

Edited by Richdem

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks for all the replies. I just completed a 50 minute flight, with the a320 mod, and navigraph installed, no ctd.🤨 

I'll just keep an eye on various Discord groups, and the forums, and see what others are running into as time goes on. It's not system related, this is the only sim/game causing "some" grief at the moment. As I said, I'm not changing my whole system around for one finicky program. Lot's of other sims installed that I can fly, that don't give me any problems, so. But thank you again, gave me some things to look at, and try, if it continues to be a issue. 

Edited by Muskoka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

13 minutes ago, Muskoka said:

no ctd.🤨

Great to hear! Did you follow all tips and tricks mentioned here or try one specific then please share so we know what may have helped 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I resolved all my CTD's by uninstalling all versions of Visual Studio and reinstalling the 2017-2019 version and then previous versions on request from other programms. Now my FS is rock solid if it can help 😉

14 minutes ago, DAD said:

Great to hear! Did you follow all tips and tricks mentioned here or try one specific then please share so we know what may have helped 

To be honest, I didn't try any of them yet, it just worked. Who knows what will happen the next flight🙃.

It's not unlike the ctd issues that have popped up over the years with Xplane, sooner or later it gets sorted out with a update, and all is fine again, until the next time. No hardware or software changes needed at aIl. 'm not changing my system upside down, and chase my tail. Others with systems totally different from mine are also having ctd issues, I'm sure the developers will sort it out eventually. 

Changing usb ports, trying a different Nvidia driver, all easily done, and really don't affect the system to a great extent. But that's the limit of any changes I'd be willing to make. I use this system everyday, without issue, with a multitude of different simulations, games, they don't have any problems.  

It's still very annoying that you can't verify the install through Steam, that should be a priority to "someone".

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Muskoka said:

it just worked. 

Well yet another of these msfs mysteries...but webstef reminded me that I also deinstalled all the visuals and just reinstalled the latest one 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Yes, that's how I'm approaching it, a mystery. I don't have Visual Studio installed at my end.

One thing I am going to try is turning off the rolling, and manual cache.

Edited by Muskoka

3 hours ago, Muskoka said:

the sound starts to act up, crackle, and then boom to desktop. Has anyone else experienced the same with the sound, it's the only "warning" I get that something is about to happen. Always seems to be about 20 mins, to half an hour, into a flight.

This is a clue - audio crackling can sometimes be tied to the storage subsystem and bus saturation. Could also be a heat and power issue (where the system is forcing vdrop to reduce temps).

15 minutes ago, Muskoka said:

I don't have Visual Studio installed at my end

I would bet a beer that you do have these installed. I had plenty of them ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

Phil Leaven

I love how people run a sim that exercises their system in a totally unique way with streaming textures and photogrammetry constantly getting pulled down and transferred to the GPU framebuffer and all kinds of unique stuff but there is NO WAY it could be a hardware related instability that is triggered by this first of it's kind software.

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

6 hours ago, Muskoka said:

It's definitely something specific to this program, but I'm getting nowhere trying to diagnose it. Think I'll just bite the bullet and reinstall. Internet is not an issue, no cap, and install was just over 2 hours so no biggie, just a pain to have to do.

Should the thing CTD again and you decide to reïnstall: If you installed in a custom folder, (the one that contains the Official/OneStore, the uninstall will leave that untouched (appr. 120 or so Gb). Don't delete it! If you then install again and point it to the same directory, the content manager will only verify those files and the sim will start. So thats only about 1.5 Gig for the core simulator files that got reïnstalled. Might be enough.

Edited by Gerwil
typo