Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Once more: No aircraft to be parked

I tried the learn, which seems to work well.  The only problem is when I launch  the simulator and follow the steps still no planes?

I also tried flight from airport I learned to an airport I learned and  very little traffic at arrive airport.  

I am confused as to how this works.  I thought once you learned an airport the planes would immediately show upon starting the PSXT..but when I start it shows no planes parking and almost no planes at airport?

This really looks like a great program from the video on your website...just can replicate.

Edited by knich

3 hours ago, knich said:

I tried the learn, which seems to work well.  The only problem is when I launch  the simulator and follow the steps still no planes?

This really looks like a great program from the video on your website...just can replicate.

That's because you have a very limited set of liveries. For instance at Gatwick you have 13 options for parking positions (learned). However, for only 2 of them you have a livery with the correct airline and type. Do note that for live traffic PSXT will match generic, or similar types when there is no perfect match but for parked aircraft it only matches perfect because it would kill the immersion to see a Chinese 738 at Gatwick. In the air it is not such a problem. At your TCAS you want to see the other traffic, livery is not visible then, so no problem.

What you see in the video at my site is about P3D. For that simulator and for FSX are many more liveries available. For instance,  I have about 4000 liveries for the European continent (only) installed. You have 382 ...

It takes time to build a Simulator with live traffic, MSFS is still in its infancy.

Edited by kiek

11 hours ago, knich said:

HI...I left it running for over 7 hours.  Not sure why it say 17 minutes. 

How long do you recommend it learn for each airport?  Also...if you are flying from airport A to B and it has not "learned" airport B, will you still get ground traffic at airport B?  Or do you have to learn airport B before you land?

The Log showed that, maybe you sent me the wrong log, never mind.

Learning an airport takes a few days (of 24 hours) or better a week. Then you have all captured. However if you do that now you will have the Covid19-situation of the airport. In pre-corona days you would have seen much more learned parking positions. But if you want to fly real live, you should not be surprised to see low traffic these days.

If B has no <afcad> section in the airport file you have to learn B before you land. If it has an <afcad> section you will see parked aircraft right away, under the condition you have liveries for these options, see my other post.

Edited by kiek

5 hours ago, kiek said:

The Log showed that, maybe you sent me the wrong log, never mind.

Learning an airport takes a few days (of 24 hours) or better a week. Then you have all captured. However if you do that now you will have the Covid19-situation of the airport. In pre-corona days you would have seen much more learned parking positions. But if you want to fly real live, you should not be surprised to see low traffic these days.

If B has no <afcad> section in the airport file you have to learn B before you land. If it has an <afcad> section you will see parked aircraft right away, under the condition you have liveries for these options, see my other post.

Wow...for just one airport?  It could take forever just to have a decent database of airports.  Hopefully you can find a way to speed this process as it is a really exciting program once you can get close to the P3D level.  

Did you have to do the same learning to get the aircraft parking and patterns to show in P3D?

No, in Prepar3d all info is in the ADCAD files. You can let PSXT learn, if you want, but it works well by default after running PPG.

Yes, as I said, learning is a nice feature but certainly not an option if you frequently fly from/to different destinations.

I am not sure how MSFS does the job by default where it has parked planes using the internal Live-Traffic driven by Flightaware. As far as I recall, most planes have their transponders off on ground... but it still works. So the info must be "somewhere".

Perhaps this issue will resolve soon when all air worldwide traffic will be stopped anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, knich said:

It could take forever just to have a decent database of airports. 

Well that depends on how real you want it to be and how many airports you fly at.  Not every body wants to have a "database of airports".,

If you only want to see airlines and types at the aiport that fly there and you don't care about the right gate and the right hour,  learning for 4 hours with normal (non corona) traffic will do.
If you fly at just a few airports, you might be interested in more real parked aircraft. For instance I only fly in Western Europa between a few major airports, such as EGLL, EHAM, EDDF, EDDM  and LEMD . Then learning is a good option. 

Also note that every time you visit the airport the learning continues, it is "education permanente" 😉

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I am not sure how MSFS does the job by default where it has parked planes using the internal Live-Traffic driven by Flightaware.

They don't. First, they do not have liveries for every airline, second, they make lots of mistakes I've been told, spawning liveries from a different region that certainly don't fly there..

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pmb said:

No, in Prepar3d all info is in the ADCAD files.

That's only true for add-on airports, not for stock aiports. So for stock airports you certainly need the Learn functionality...

1 hour ago, kiek said:

That's only true for add-on airports, not for stock aiports. So for stock airports you certainly need the Learn functionality...

I don't understand this. Granted, I didn't fly often in/from default airports in Prepar3d but I thought I had populated gates all the time. But maybe I don't recall properly.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

10 hours ago, pmb said:

No, in Prepar3d all info is in the ADCAD files. You can let PSXT learn, if you want, but it works well by default after running PPG.

Yes, as I said, learning is a nice feature but certainly not an option if you frequently fly from/to different destinations.

I am not sure how MSFS does the job by default where it has parked planes using the internal Live-Traffic driven by Flightaware. As far as I recall, most planes have their transponders off on ground... but it still works. So the info must be "somewhere".

Perhaps this issue will resolve soon when all air worldwide traffic will be stopped anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

Airports are empty in MSFS by default.  I feel like the only plane on earth..lol.  

The only thing I can think of otherwise is if I had the program in the wrong folder but I assume kiek would have identified that.  Also I am seeing very few planes after a long time so I assume everything is installed correctly.

8 hours ago, kiek said:

Well that depends on how real you want it to be and how many airports you fly at.  Not every body wants to have a "database of airports".,

If you only want to see airlines and types at the aiport that fly there and you don't care about the right gate and the right hour,  learning for 4 hours with normal (non corona) traffic will do.
If you fly at just a few airports, you might be interested in more real parked aircraft. For instance I only fly in Western Europa between a few major airports, such as EGLL, EHAM, EDDF, EDDM  and LEMD . Then learning is a good option. 

Also note that every time you visit the airport the learning continues, it is "education permanente" 😉

Interesting...but even when I return to an airport that I have had learning overnight there are zero planes parked and after a while there are a few planes taxiing and landing. 

I even tried adjusting the time of day in realtraffic to maximize busy traffic period but no luck.

Thats the covid effect i am afraid. 

At Heathrow before covid you could see 3 or 4 aircraft lined up at the ils for landing continuously. Now I see just one every now and then.

Same for take-off queues, at EGLL you could see up to 12 planes waiting. See the picture at the bottom of my web site about EGLL in the good old days.

Edited by kiek

12 hours ago, pmb said:

I don't understand this. Granted, I didn't fly often in/from default airports in Prepar3d but I thought I had populated gates all the time. But maybe I don't recall properly.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Have a look in the PPG  afcad_summary folder, you will only find a few files, all of them for your add-on airports.

The populated gates at stock airports must have come from learning, or if you are talking more then a year ago, from the initial guessed parking options generated by older versions of PPG.

Kind regards,

Nico