Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

January 21st, 2021 - Development Update

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

Personal takeaways from the feature discovery episode:

• I always wondered what happened to those "over 1000 surfaces". Now at least I know that the displayed forces are only a subset of what is actually calculated - ambitious enterprise.
  • The flight model is a priority to them.
  • They have expert consultants (commercial and military ex-pilots, engineers)
  • None of them seemingly told them, that the planes feel like RC planes. Still too responsive! Already during take off roll (rudder)!

I don't think the problem is one of feedback, or even of them listening to feedback.  I suspect it's an issue of trying to dial in behaviour across a variety of planes that may need some bespoke tuning, and trying to do that in a way that behaves realistically but without breaking the flight model elsewhere, and then also trying to blend that with a separate physics model for when you're on the ground, and making sure THAT behaves realistically.

Given enough time, I'm confident they'll smooth out most bigger complaints about the flight dynamics.  When you consider it's only been 5 months, I think they are on the right track.  Also - man alive Seb looks more and more tired every time I see him, lol.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Is icing simulation going to be pared back? Looks and feels exaggerated.

Have Asobo ever commented on feedback about the icing?  The buildup is very exaggerated, and I've seen tons of sim YT channels and stuff mention it countless times, but I don't remember Asobo ever commenting on it themselves.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

I don't think the problem is one of feedback, or even of them listening to feedback.  I suspect it's an issue of trying to dial in behaviour across a variety of planes that may need some bespoke tuning, and trying to do that in a way that behaves realistically but without breaking the flight model elsewhere, and then also trying to blend that with a separate physics model for when you're on the ground, and making sure THAT behaves realistically.

Given enough time, I'm confident they'll smooth out most bigger complaints about the flight dynamics.  When you consider it's only been 5 months, I think they are on the right track.  Also - man alive Seb looks more and more tired every time I see him, lol.

Show me one plane that fly's as good in MSFS without bugs as when FSX was released.

• Like 3

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Have Asobo ever commented on feedback about the icing?  The buildup is very exaggerated, and I've seen tons of sim YT channels and stuff mention it countless times, but I don't remember Asobo ever commenting on it themselves.

I think they commented about it in a previous Dev Q&A, saying that they got a wrong formula from some French aviation thing but didn't mention when they will fix it.

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

4 hours ago, pmplayer said:

I still can`t go on with that mirrored texture thing as "not planned" i don't understand the reason behind it.. 😒

Jayne said last night in the forums that they are not removing the "Not Planned" items from the Feedback Snapshot/Wishlist so that the development team can revisit those suggestions in the future. Probably not worth getting your hopes up about it, but they're not writing these suggestions off completely.

She also said that items marked as "Fixed" in the bug section will be removed next week to clear way for more bugs.

1 hour ago, F737NG said:
  • 1,306 surfaces simulated (subset of overall calculation) over 32 CPU threads - is the Ryzen 5950X going to be the 'must have' CPU?

I think what they meant is that since it can scale over so many threads, it is relatively light on the CPU because it wouldn't take much of the main thread's work. I recall in an earlier Q&A that Sebastian said the optimal CPU thread count, before you start to see greatly diminishing returns, is 8 threads.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up until it's been delivered and tested by everyone, but I am hugely encouraged by this new aerodynamics Feature Discovery video.

Overall, if Sebastian's comments about the sim come true, I'll be very happy.

Same here ! 

This video comes at the right time when I, as many I reckon, started to lose hope to see MFS becomes a serious flight simulator anytime soon. It is a hundred times more convincing than their usual tiresome BS* PRish.

Only thing missing, nothing on engine simulation, the mixture vs altitude issue for instance or the turbo simulation.

*BS is, of course, for boyscout, what else ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm hoping they keep their word with regards to this video.    Though, in my opinion, these features should have been present in the release...  It is a FLIGHT simulator afterall.  The sim is definitely getting better  - sometimes it just feels like we go backwards with scenery anomalies and bugs.

• Like 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I thought what was shown in this video is already a part of the sim? Isn't that what the modern flight dynamic option is for? This video is just going over the aerodynamic features in the sim. I'm kind of confused.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I thought what was shown in this video is already a part of the sim? Isn't that what the modern flight dynamic option is for? This video is just going over the aerodynamic features in the sim. I'm kind of confused.

That’s what I thought too. We are all ready using this, and they’re just tweaking it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottoest said:

I am asobolutely sure they can fix it. The underlying technology seems very promising. But I think the "twitchyness issue" does need a fundamental review of parts of the core physics.

A good example is trying to hold centerline on a runway. It's far too responsive - and that is not about control input. A delay or deflection limitation won't fix the fundamental problem.

To me it feels like it's missing inertia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Anybody else noticed this? To be added in the near future, maybe even with the upcoming WU3

Screenshot-2021-01-22-163247.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, peroni said:

Anybody else noticed this? To be added in the near future, maybe even with the upcoming WU3

Screenshot-2021-01-22-163247.jpg

Nice, that wear and tear option looks good!

• Like 1

With regard to aerodynamic modeling, I feel like there have been subtle improvements over the past couple of updates. Maybe I wasn't imagining that after all! Slightly more left turning tendencies on props at high AoA. Ground Effect doesn't seem quite as pronounced as it did at initial release, though planes still seem overly floaty. Still missing any significant adverse yaw in a roll, however. BUT as the team gains experience, it is really good to hear that they are aware of these factors and continue to work on them. I love the direction!

Chris

59 minutes ago, captain420 said:

It is in the sim allready, but as i understand they doeing some finetuning on this kind of stuff.

Hopefully ( if they do so ) the 747-8 handles a lot better in high flightlevel  around 32000-43000 feet with strong winds .

Often i fly there and got 90 to 120kts windspeed ( live weather ) and i think the plane is responding to that pretty hard IMO , i mean it is a havy plane so should be a bit more stable for that 🤔

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
typo

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png