Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

How to get cockpit sounds in external views?

I know its not realistic but sound is a huge part of the atmosphere.

For examples, FSPassengers only has its canned ATC chatter and passenger loading ambient sounds heard when inside the VC. Or the landing gear whine and thud I'd like to hear when in Spot View.

I know the Concorde X has a check box in its special Options pull down menu that allows for this called "Play Sounds in Ext Views". I find this a very nice feature.

Is there a cfg setting or tweak that allows cockpit sounds to be heard in outside views for other planes?

I agree that sounds play a huge part in the level of immersion experienced  and although I am not sure that I personally want to hear all all the cockpit sounds while in the external view, you raise an Interesting question! Certainly in some aircraft I’ve noticed that some cockpit sounds like flap motors, etc can be heard while in spot view but in others this is not the case. 

Although, I don’t know what the actual answer is, it may lie in the Sound cfg for the aircraft in question. In the cfg certain sounds appear to have a Viewpoint entry - either 1 or 2 - and, as far as I know, these numbers indicate use of the particular sound in internal or external views. Some sounds however have no Viewpoint entry in the cfg and my guess is that these sounds are audible irrespective of the view. I may be totally wrong in these assumptions and, if I am, I’m sure someone with more knowledge of sound than me will correct me, but I guess you could play around with a sound cfg and see what happens if you deactivate the Viewpoint entry for a particular sound. Just remember to back up the sound cfg first!

Bill

Edited by scianoir