Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Aircraft flight Aerodynamics

24 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

and as some have said, even in light wind, no turbulence, and with wing tanks balanced etc. occasionally I have found the aircraft in an ever increasing bank after just looking at a chart for 20 seconds.

That is actually realistic. It's the p-factor effect and more pronounced the larger the angle of attack / thrust. But it also occurs in cruise flight. Those 20 secs you mention seem pretty realstic to notice the effect.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

If your using key board then, thats just terrable and am sure its really bad. You could buy a second hand joystick....anything and make it an axis for rudders. Anything cheap will do, anything is better than key board.

I have no idea why you cannot keep you aircraft center lined M20 etc. IMO its two things or one or the other. A) your not smooth on controling your rudders. B) You need to set up your rudders better to suit your needs.

Here are by Rudder setting, they might help. If your still all over the place keep adding curve to dull down your over correctness. Small smooth movments are key. I have never worn shoes or anything with my rudders just socks. You "feel" a lot more.

Unlike when controlling a real aircraft you can "feel"

Screenshot-459.png

Thanks will give your settings a try later! It is not my rudder control input , if I move just a tiny bit teh airplane already responses too much.

Edited by rob0203

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

That is actually realistic. It's the p-factor effect and more pronounced the larger the angle of attack / thrust. But it also occurs in cruise flight. Those 20 secs you mention seem pretty realstic to notice the effect.

That would be torque effect because as you level off in cruise P-factor diminishes. 

P-factor is caused by the disymatary of thrust across the prop disc caused by the difference in the AoA between the left and right halves of the propeller. Thus in a climb when the relative wind enters below the spinner P-factor is at its greatest while at cruise when the relative wind enters directly into the spinner (or nearly so) P-factor diminishes.

Torque effect is caused by the motion of the propeller acting through the center of gravity. As power is increased the nose tends to yaw left (in clockwise spinning propellers.)

During training in the King Air I demonstrate both concepts in flight with a properly trimmed airplane in straight and level flight. With my feet on the floor, In the first case I add power and the nose yaws left, that is torque effect. I retrim the airplane and keep the power the same and raise the nose to about 15 degrees nose up. Again the nose yaws left, this is P-factor. Since I am doing this in a twin there is almost no spiraling slipstream. 

For guys who have flown jets their entire career this is an eye opener. (Military types who started in the T-37 and never flew a prop their entire lives until the King Air.)

I have not seen a vector in the MSFS Aerodynamics video coming off the propeller to the left, so at this point, I assume that any left turning tendencies in the sim are faked (or computed using simple constants) and not computed using the modern aerodynamics. This seems supported by the SDK that does not show any of the aerodynamics associated with the propeller. However, we will have to see what is released with the next aerodynamic updates and hopefully, an updated SDK to support the models, since they advertise moving from the current 640 vectors to over 1,000.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

Thanks will give your settings a try later! It is not my rudder control input , if I move just a tiny bit teh airplane already responses too much.

If my setting dont work, increase sensitivity to -50 on BOTH - & +. Take it upto 80 if needs be. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 hours ago, Nyxx said:

No idea, but the M20 taxis takeoff roll is great and also land, taxi etc. No probelms at all. Nothing. Nore with any other aircraft.

Well the YMF-5 has issues - it is all over the shop ...

but I just see that as a challenge to work at 😄

For me a wobbly takeoff and somewhat bouncy landing at St Bart's is an achievement and I intend to keep practicing till I get it right.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

For me a wobbly takeoff and somewhat bouncy landing at St Bart's is an achievement and I intend to keep practicing till I get it right.

Tail draggers in general are usually a challenge for most pilots. Took me months to reliably land the A2A Texan in P3D especially in a crosswind , and I have no problems in real life landing Cessnas and Pipers. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

56 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Tail draggers in general are usually a challenge for most pilots. Took me months to reliably land the A2A Texan in P3D especially in a crosswind , and I have no problems in real life landing Cessnas and Pipers. 

Bob a perfect sum up.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

14 hours ago, rob0203 said:

I will come back when they fix it for now the planes are hard to even keep on the ground while taxiing. Even when I changed the sensitivity of my rudder pedals.

Is there any chance you mapped your pedals to the 'rudder' mappings instead of the 'rudder axis' mappings by mistake?  If you do this it goes from 0 rudder to full rudder instantly at a certain deflection of your physical controller.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

but I just see that as a challenge to work at 

That was a beautiful take off. Nice to see you didn't get bent out of shape  and cry a river like most reviewers, and instead took it as a challenge and did a great job 😄

Edited by EvidencePlz

10 hours ago, honanhal said:

Maybe it's an issue of needing to change my setup in some way, but I have to agree with Rob here. This is one of my (relatively few) frustrations with MSFS. I don't have rudder pedals, which makes using rudder and/or ground steering a real exercise in frustration. Super twitchy using the keyboard to steer and it is genuinely hard for me to keep some aircraft (especially the CJ4) on the taxiway sometimes! I would give anything for an autorudder like in FSX/P3D where I could use my joystick to steer on the ground.

James

I believe this is what you are looking for...

...jim

AutoRudder.png

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

11 hours ago, JimBrown said:

I believe this is what you are looking for...

I believe you're right! Thanks! I'll give it a try, anyway.

James

Should have mentioned that that setting also takes care of taxi steering. I only have an old CH Yoke and can steer while taxiing using the aileron axis of the yoke. Not exactly real world, but gets the job done.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Kind sad that we have to resort to "auto" settings to make things workable.

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

2 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

Kind sad that we have to resort to "auto" settings to make things workable.

Bit like a modern Boeing or Airbus really 😄

• Like 1