Sign in to follow this  
oeker

Aircraft addon (payware)

Waited until last week to purchase fs2020.

Reason: I wanted a few decent payware aircraft to go with it.  I picked the Piaggio and Carenado Mooney.

Expected to find a 50 page manual  (Mooney).... Well .. how on earth can you expect to operate this aircraft correctly without documentation. The answer is obvious - it is not designed for a deep study. - just jump in and add power.

Been checking YouTube for better aircraft. Common: no documentation, low standard  Except outside view. It really screams buy me!

Had some hope for the new Aerosoft Arrow watching the promo video. Hoped to see something like A2A Comanche  intro  video.  No just outside view for 2 minutes, and a short glimpse of cockpit viewed from back seat. Thanks, seen enough - no buy..

Just realized that the mediocre Mooney is the best addon aircraft.  at the moment . I enjoy flying it - but you need the Garmin GN530 free upgrade.

Finally - I dare to call the new F-15 a fraud (based on reviews)  The name very close to DCS, and price tag close to similar DCS aircraft. It is easy to be confused by watching DCS videos , and check if it is avail for fs2020

Edited by oeker

For the Mooney real world checklists and other documentation are easily available on the internet.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Or, you could look at the manuals which, erm, come with the product...

gchaspv.png

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You posted that there was no documentation. This is what you wrote. But in any case, you obviously haven't looked very closely at the ones you apparently did find in spite of originally claiming you did not find, because if you had, you would see they contain all the necessary information for you to operate the aeroplane.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Carenado are not renowned for their Manuals or support or inclination to fix bugs, the Mooney however is one of their better FS2020 products.  It is a nice aircraft and lovely to fly.

It is also pretty basic. It has retractable gear, flaps, mini spoilers and a prop control with details of settings on the back of the sun visor. Not much else to know about it. Keep your speed up on final cross the threshold at about 80 knots, it is a Mooney so they are renowned for floating, do not force it down let it settle.

The only complex bit might be using the glass cockpit for a beginner but it is not Carenado's job to teach people how to use a Garmin.

FREEWARE

I suggest exploring the freeware options before getting any more payware.

In particular the Rob Young Turbo Bonanza mod

or if you do not mind something in beta the Grumman Goose

OTHER PAYWARE

In terms of other payware I do love the Bleriot XI but it is not everyone's thing by any means - very niche.

A lot of people are recommending the Piaggio -

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oeker said:

Waited until last week to purchase fs2020.

Reason: I wanted a few decent payware aircraft to go with it.  I picked the Piaggio and Carenado Mooney.

Expected to find a 50 page manual  (Mooney).... Well .. how on earth can you expect to operate this aircraft correctly without documentation. The answer is obvious - it is not designed for a deep study. - just jump in and add power.

Been checking YouTube for better aircraft. Common: no documentation, low standard  Except outside view. It really screams buy me!

Had some hope for the new Aerosoft Arrow watching the promo video. Hoped to see something like A2A Comanche  intro  video.  No just outside view for 2 minutes, and a short glimpse of cockpit viewed from back seat. Thanks, seen enough - no buy..

Just realized that the mediocre Mooney is the best addon aircraft.  at the moment . I enjoy flying it - but you need the Garmin GN530 free upgrade.

Finally - I dare to call the new F-15 a fraud (based on reviews)  The name very close to DCS, and price tag close to similar DCS aircraft. It is easy to be confused by watching DCS videos , and check if it is avail for fs2020

So what is your point? P3D has plenty of study level airplanes with modern avionics. If you want the best VFR sim you have come to the right sim. If you want study level aircraft with mediocre graphics there two other sims to suit your needs.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, oeker said:

Why did you expect a 50pages manual with a Carenado aircraft? Not our fault, or Asobos fault, or Carenados fault, if you raise your expectations too high

• Like 2

In fairness to Carenado, and lord knows they don't always earn that privilege, if you tot up all the pages of the PDF manuals they do include with their M20R for MSFS, that is over thirty in number, so not quite fifty, and some of those are checklists and graphs for throttle settings at various alts and temps, but this is essentially all the information you need to operate the simulated aeroplane as you would the real thing.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Funny, I jumped in the Mooney and was able to figure it out without a 50 page manual.  Sure, I went and found some further information (oh and even found Caranedo's INCLUDED documentation) later on.  Perhaps this is my age showing, but the days of indepth software manuals of any kind are long gone!  This isn't 1991.  Google is your friend. 😉

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

For the Mooney real world checklists and other documentation are easily available on the internet.

Typical response, just go to the internet and steal copyrighted material.

I never get most of the AVSIM community who stands stalwart against software piracy while in the same breath encouraging members to steal manuals from aircraft manufactures. 

Downloading copyrighted aircraft manuals is just as illegal as pirating software. If you want the manual then go to Mooney, establish a technical publication account, and purchase the manual legally.

• Upvote 1

You don't need manual to fly the Carenado Mooney. It's the easiest airplane you will ever fly on this sim. That's off course, if you know what you are doing.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 minutes ago, KenG said:

I never get most of the AVSIM community who stands stalwart against software piracy while in the same breath encouraging members to steal manuals from aircraft manufactures. 

Downloading copyrighted aircraft manuals is just as illegal as pirating software. If you want the manual then go to Mooney, establish a technical publication account, and purchase the manual legally.

You may have just hit on the actual reason a lot of payware aircraft do NOT include a version of the POH ... copyright.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KenG said:

Not quite true. One of the few things you actually cannot copyright, is the instructions on how to safely operate a machine, and it should be obvious why this is the view of law on the matter. Check the international laws of copyright if you don't think this is the case.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury