Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kuvem1

Some General things about FSX

Guest Kuvem1

Hello everybody!I'm relatively new to Flight Simming and I really love FSX !Now I like it so much I ordered a Triplehead2go and three 19inch TFT Monitors for more enjoyment.I have some questions if you may give me tips that would be very much appreciated.What CPU should I buy for my Socket 939 System?At the moment I have a AMD3200+ @ 2,42 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, and a Geforce 7600 GS which I will replace in the spring 2007 with a 8800 GTS.But for now I'm thinking about what is the best CPU for me? I know that dual Core doesnt give much advantage so going with the best single core cpu might give me better Performance in my System.I thought the AMD Opteron 154 would be good, which has 2,8 Ghz, with a good cooler I might keep it running on 3 Ghz. IS this the right CPU to get?Another question I have is can I use my Steering Wheel and Pedals that I use for Racing Simulations with this Sim too, I'm thinking about the pedals, any reason why this wouldnt work? Or is this regularly used by you Flight Simulator guys? I will have a try with it tomorrow.I want to have the best scenerys available for Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon for FSX.I would have no problem paying for them if they are the best. I have seen in the AVSIM File Library freeware Scenerys for these countries but they are for FS9.The other day I have seen somebody here in the AVSIM Forums using Google Earth to transmitt photorealistic pictures into FSX, I wondered if there is a publicly known way of doing this?I'm wondering why nobody else uses these most accurate pictures in Flight Sims, they look so muhc better than game generated things, or not?Then I do use a Sidewinder Joystick which is very nice and I really like it, but are Force Feedback Joysticks alot better? I'm thinking about a getting one, but how is Force Feedback with a Joystick? I would hate to buy it and then find out I like my smooth Sidewinder non-FF Joystick more.I have installed a Water AddOn, and than I had wrong texture files while flying, thanks to the Author of the Add-On I got the original files back in place but the Texture Problem is still there. I dont want to reinstall FSX, what else could possible cause this problem I have attached in this Post? Thanbs for any helphttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162606.jpg

This should be in the Hardware thread.BTW.. FYI The Core 2 Duo still beats the AMD Single Core even if the C2Duo uses only the single core for FSX.You may as well get the Core 2 Duo and a MB to go with it.As far as the water texture problem you have there. Try deselecting "Land Detail Textures" in the Scenery tab. See if that works. Thats not an FSX thing. Its your Video card.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Kuvem1

Thanks for your Reply Manny.My Graphiccard was a little overclocked and that cause those texture problems.So you would say a AMD Opteron 180 which is Dual Core 2,4 Ghz is better then the single core 2,8 Ghz ?Are you sure? I thought I would have read here that dual core gives no advantage?

Guest Ichinin

A single core CPU @ 2.8 Ghz is ALWAYS faster than a multicore CPU @ 2.4 when the application only can use one CPU.In other words: You can buy all the bicycles you want, but it wont help since you can only use one at the time.

Guest Kuvem1

Thanks so I should rather go with a single 2,8 Ghz CPU core if I want to maximise FSX Performance? Thats what I thought, thanks. I hope there will be some more comments here about the things I mentioned in the opening thread.