Sign in to follow this  
Pitter

Strange problem since a couple of flights

Hi all,

since a couple of flights I have that problem: RC give me order to descent, next order is to cross xxx at xxxx feet.Then during descent, before I´m handed over 

to approach, RC give me a heading away from my destination airport. In the flight right now I'm  120nm away from dest airport with the heading he give to me.

This happens since 6 flights. I have nothing changed 

RC itself is still working with all other flights, but have completely forgotten me

Any tips??

Peter

Hi Peter,

More info needed please. What sim, what are the departure and arrival airports? Is the arrival airport in a mountainous area and if so did you tick NOTAMS?

What was the final altitude you were instructed to descend to?

I don't understand your last sentence. Is RC4 working correctly for other flights?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Tks for your response.

P3Dv3.4    

EDDM-LIRQ

Light mountainous area (but airport not inside mountains)

Notems on DEP only

28000 down to 21000

Last means that RC still talking to other traffic, but lets say, after that strange heading order, RC ignored me

Hopefully that helps a little

Peter

Hi Peter,

Florence does have mountains near it so NOTAMS needs to be selected. The normal instructions for descending would leave you at either FL110 or FL120 40 miles out of your arrival airport. It looks like you never received that instruction.

Do you have a 3rd party Florence Airport and if so have you run MakeRwys and updated the RC database?

RC will vector you away from any airport that has high ground around it. It doesn't know the direction of the high ground so plays it safe.

Easiest thing to do is enable NOTAMS for LIRQ and try it again. I would also consider selecting the option to fly the STAR yourself when handed over to Approach. You then have complete freedom to fly the approach and will be contacted by Twr when around 7 miles out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I'm just on the way from LIRQ to LEAL. After that I wil try again on the way to lowi.

Let you know the result

Peter

Forgot: Yes, I`m updated RC Database and MakeRwys after it happened the first time

Edited by Pitter

Hi Peter,

Out of curiosity I flew from Venice down to Firenza. I didn't check NOTAMS as I wanted to experience the same as you. FL240 in a Lear25. I was instructed to descend to FL120 and met that 40nm out. Given a heading to fly directly towards LIRQ.

At 16DME from LIRQ I was given a heading of 230 (downwind for a 05 landing).

Soon after instructed to descend to 6,000ft. (TA is 6000) so switched to QNH.

There was a very long downwind leg because as I suspect the high ground around LIRQ means RC4 will keep you high.

At 22DME from LIRQ instructed to turn to 145.

Soon after instructed to turn to 080 and cleared down to 5,500ft for an ILS intercept.

At 16DME the localiser and glideslope was intercepted. Good landing even on the default airport.

What aircraft are you flying? LIRQ is a short runway so even a 737 is going to need a very slow approach speed.

Default or 3rd party airport?  Can you supply a flight plan?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

thanks for the flightreport. You did not mentioned you was hand over to approach or not.

I did 2 flights into LOWI to find out what happens.

The first one I thick Notems in the Arrival colum, and with the 2. I did not.

Anyway, both flights are succesful, I was handed over to Approach controller. Both flights landed with STAR.

The difference to the 6 previous flights was, that RC gave me that strange heading that I flew hundreds of miles

away from airport, and never handed over to approach, because maybe I`m too high, just left cruise. It was not too

high for any LIRQ approach

I will do some more flights, and come back to you if it come up again

So far, thanks for your help

Peter

A/C Aerosoft A319,  

FltPln: EDDM-LIRQ FL280 TULSI BERAS MIMVI LIZUM LIKDA IBUGO LOMED PRT      RVSM

Edited by Pitter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I was handed over to Approach at 40 miles out. All the heading and altitude changes were instructed by App.

I haven't any idea why you weren't instructed to descend to FL120. Did you hear instructions to change altitudes? I suggest you hand comms over to Otto (CTRL_Shift+K) as that eases your workload. I do it after take-off clearance has been issued.

I've just flown LIPZ-LIRQ again this time with NOTAMS selected for LIRQ. All instructions are prefixed with "If able" so you won't get told off if you don't obey. But choosing IAP App is best once you're handed over to App. That allows you to fly an approach in difficult terrain. RC doesn't know where mountains are and could vector you into terrain.

Referring to your flights into LOWI. You can't fly a STAR with RC4 instructions. It's one or the other. You make the decision after contacting App 40nm out. Choose IAP (option 4) to fly the STAR yourself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

""Referring to your flights into LOWI. You can't fly a STAR with RC4 instructions. It's one or the other. You make the decision after contacting App 40nm out. Choose IAP (option 4) to fly the STAR yourself.""

Usually I use NOTEMS only for DEP, and for ARR only when I know the Airport.

So, LIRQ was the 1.Time for me, therefore no NOTEMS.

For what forever reason RC did not me bring down enough to hand me over to APP.

That I think was the prob. 

And no, OTTO was off today. He stops by only when I use stock A/C and that is very very rare.

Thanks again.

Peter

Hi Peter,

NOTAMS is even more important for arrivals. Use only when high ground is around the airport like Tenerife.

Hopefully you won’t get any more problems. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather