Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Interesting Observation!

I have had my frames set to unlimited, and get pretty decent FPS (For FSX) I've noticed something though! If I lock frames to say 25, I get less fluctuations in frame rate, but it settles down on the low end. For example, when I start out at runway 4L at JFK when frames are unlimited, it starts off high between 19-21FPS but gradually settles down to 14-15FPS, occassionally dropping to 10FPS, but mostly stays around 14-15FPS. When I lock to 25FPS, though it starts and stays right around 10FPS (And it feels like it in the sim as well). I have not seen this behavior in FS9. I can duplicate this in any area where frames are less then the locked limit. It seems to me we are losing performance by locking frames in FSX! Has anyone else notice this?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I've been doing some testing, using strictly default FSX, just varying sliders using in-game settings. One run so far compared unlimited frames vs locked to 45 (higher than any reported FPS with these settings).Average framse unlimited: 35.4Average frames locked 45: 34.1Not sure if the difference is significant. It could be with sliders further right that there could be a bigger difference. I will be looking at that eventually.scott s..

If you set "Unlimited" you could get extra FPS. But thats at a price.Blurries.If you have set that FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 greater than .33 in FSX.cfg, that becomes ineffective.For Phototextur sceneries... I set it at 24FPS and fly. cause FIBER FREAME TIME FRACTION=.60 kicks in and I get no blurries. for non Photo sceneries and when I am fly low and slow where blurries are a concern, I change it to UNLIMITEd..in effect making FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 to the default. This is my way using FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION dynamically.Ofcourse, if your FPS drops to less than 10, then all bets are off.. you will have blurries no matter what your FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting is.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Since some have had good success with fps at unlimited, I've tried that, as well as target rates of 25,30, and 35. At this point, FSX is running very smooth and stutterless with the target rate at 25 fps. I didn't do that well with settings at unlimited.L.AdamsonAthlon 3800+/2Gig/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/ 1600*1200*32

Guest cwright

Many people have mentioned this effect. It may be that the frame rate indicator is the problem and not the actual frame rates. I did a few quick tests using Fraps. The FSX frame rate indicator showed this effect but Fraps did not. Also Fraps gives a much more stable and useable indication. I would definitely recommend using it for any significant frame rate tests.My feeling is that FSX is smoother with the frame rates locked and it almost certainly helps to reduce the blurries. Best regards, Chris

Stuttering is reduced when viewing out the side window if you have some "headroom" in FPS.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Unlimited works best for me, smooth and no blurries, and I don't use the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION tweak.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest kilotango

I copy this from my fs9 into fsx.cfg under graphics LOD_TARGET_FPS=10and set the game unlimited.Its working.

Guest allcott

>Many people have mentioned this effect. It may be that the>frame rate indicator is the problem and not the actual frame>rates. I did a few quick tests using Fraps. The FSX frame rate>indicator showed this effect but Fraps did not. Also Fraps>gives a much more stable and useable indication. I would>definitely recommend using it for any significant frame rate>tests.>>My feeling is that FSX is smoother with the frame rates locked>and it almost certainly helps to reduce the blurries. >>Best regards,> ChrisLogic says you're right. If the frame rates are locked, and the frame rate counter is integral to FSX, then it simply has fewer frames to count to `average` the fps. That would account for the apparent drop, and explain why it doesn't seem to be real.Allcott

I lock at 25. If I set it to 'unlimited', I get a lot of stutters.For me it's not worth it to use 'unlimited'.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest delta

Where do I get "FRAPS" please, and what is the actual file name? Many thanks.Delta.

Google "FRAPS" .. or whatever search engine you use.Good LuckRobert

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ