Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to "what's it doing now?"

Sadly, this flight went all screwy near Iceland and thus never reached its destination of Copenhagen...

Air Greenland's hub is at Kangerlussuaq on the western side of Greenland. They have one "heavy" - an Airbus A330-200 which is used for their Copenhagen route (most other Air Greenland flights are internal).

Winter in the northern hemisphere means that there's not a lot of sunlight at higher latitudes. Climbing away from BGSF.

056BhjZ.jpg

Opinions are mixed on being able to see the Milky Way at altitude, and what you actually see. I like this:

Z2Dd9xd.jpg

EvNvueg.jpg

By dawn's early light..

GARuJiw.jpg

0a91cA3.jpg

Here you can see the lat/long waypoints of the flight plan on the MFD. After this the 'Bus entered its "What's it doing now?" procedure. Appearing to circle around a waypoint, circling but not follwing an oval as it would in a holding pattern.

VOaMk1p.jpg

By deleting some points and reloading a saved flight I did get closer to Iceland. Here's the last screenshot I took before abandoning the flight. Granted I could have switched to heading mode and "manually" follwo the green line, but I was annoyed both with myself and what the plane was doing..

6gnTHxs.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the screenies anyway! 🍻

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

The Air Greenland polka-dot (Red) livery looks good on this A330...! Had not seen it before...

So, the holding pattern didn't work out...bummer...

On 1/24/2021 at 8:33 AM, HighBypass said:

...annoyed both with myself and what the plane was doing...

Hope, the fault rested squarely on the latter...Mark....🙂.....Anyway, better luck next time...!!

• Like 1

And I thought that good old FSX (or FSX-SE) was better in this respect than MSFS. Apparently not 🙂

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

It has been a while, but I revisited this flight. It appears that I was indeed doing something wrong. I believe I inadvertently got the aircraft to hold in a circular pattern rather than using the DIRECT command properly! :wacko: 

I manged to get to Copenhagen and land safely in fog.. after a go around! I will post up my queries in the main FSX forum due to a lack of BBS Airbus sub forum LOL! I may also ask the question over in the Flight Planning forum regarding what the MCDU displayed this time around..

Oh, AND NOW IMGUR ARE LOADING ADVERTS TOO! They finally jumped on that bandwagon.. I'll see if it ever gets as bad as photof.. bucket.. :unsure:

As is typical with FSX - when at altitude, flying abeam the airport I can see the lights..

odnaIu4.jpg

However, when established on the localiser and the glideslope, the fog kicks in ... sharpens the mind a little!

BRidTvD.jpg

Touchdown. I did disconnect the AP, but not the autothrottle, so I got the "RETARD" callout. I did manage to control the flare, but seeing as I'd disconnected so close to themains touching, there was not much in it. My jury is still out on if the flare behaviour is wrong. More flights, especially in VFR conditions needed! (I could pull a wheelie and let the nose down myself as the speed bled off)

qsX0jsD.jpg

Parked at the terminal.

2C6oHu2.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)