Sign in to follow this  
13ifs40

install prepar3d on new computer

Good afternoon all

I am getting a new computer this week and am going to get Prepar3d.    I was wondering about the install steps

When i go to install do i tell the program where to go       or do i let it do its thing on its own

as you can tell    this is new to me     so i need some direction for problem free results

thanks for your help in advance

13ifs40

You will have to decide which drive you want it on.

A dedicated 500GB SSD is ideal.  I chose drive F:\

result:      F:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5

Bert

Lots of people do not recommend the use of a Program Files folder.

I kept it simple:  c:\P3D\P3Dv4 and c:\P3D\P3Dv5, that way it is easy to add c:\P3D\P3Dv6 when it comes out.

I install all my addon scenery on a different drive such as d:\Addon

Dan Downs KCRP

I always use...  M:\1 P3D v5 ...  keeps it tidy at the top of the folder list. 

You can specify your own folder just before the installation.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

As others have said, just avoid the default c:\Program Files\  as this folder is locked down by windows, and can cause permission issues with addon's. If you can, install on an SSD to increase loading times. Especially if you add a lot of scenery addons. 

I like to keep all my simulators installed on separate SSD drives along with all their addon's. So I have:

Drive M for MSFS

Drive P for P3dv3, P3dv4 and P3dv5

Drive X for X-Plane

Drive S for all other simulators, DCS, Falcon BMS, Flyinside Flight Simulator and Aerofly FS2

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Go to P3D Tricks and Tips and use Poppet's guides. If at all possible, do not install to the default location.  Just click "options" and direct it to it's own drive.

Jeff Callender