Sign in to follow this  
danielwest

G2D.dll and G3D.dll crashes P3Dv5.1

Hello fellow drivers, 

I reach out to you with a reasonably high  level of desperation. I have been experiencing frequent crashes that are being caused by the g2d and g3d.dll files. It is something that has started to happen as soon as I upgraded my P3Dv5.0 install to 5.1 (yes, I have HF1 running).

I have quite some add ons, plug ins and software running on the background as my sim setup at home is ever growing. I only fly the PMDG 737 ngxu for a virtual airline, mostly US domestic flights. Below you can find a list of the things that I run. I already apologize for the things I will probably have forgotten to list. event viewer logs will follow below.

These crashes seem to occur randomly, or at least, I have not been able to detect a pattern. Out of every 15-20 flights I do, at least one is associated with these crashes. Here are some crashes and at which point in the flight:

- Flight to KDAL (default scenery), on final approach 13R, about 12-15 nm out, abeam KDFW, at dusk

- Flight to KHOU (SXAD), on initial approach for 13R about 20 nm out, daylight

- Flight from KRSW (LVFR), after take off RWY 6, around 1000-1500ft AGL, daylight

- Flight from KPHX (Flightbeam), after take off RWY 25R, around 1000-1500ft, night

- Flight from KTUS (default), cruise, around 30 mins into the flight

According to the windows event viewer, this crash is always preceded by the runtime error exception code c0000005. What I have learned so far is that that code stands for an access violation in which a program is using memory without the proper authorization to do so. Now comes the hard part: what program.

As you can well imagine, I am in simming for the 'as close as it can get to real life' experience. Hence my tendency to have quite some things running in the background. I am really (no, but REALLY) not into the 'go back to a vanilla P3D setting and add a program at a time to see if there is an error occurring'. This is mainly because I simply have too much linked to the simm. Additionally, after doing some research, I found that the cause can be quite some things and I am not willing to pursue them one at the time, because that takes away the fun out of simming for me. Since the crashes occur randomly and definitely not during all flights, it is very hard to actually determine what programs to take off line for some tests. Taking away programs = less immersive experience.

That is why I am looking for some good advice on where I can find the cause of the crash before I start taking things down. 

The following things I have already checked and done:

- All drivers are up to date (including NVIDIA)

- WIN10 is up to date

- P3D is up to date

- Verified ORBX files at least three times (my research leads me to believe that these crashes could be related to their global suite)

- Lowered settings within P3D

- Checked CPU and GPU load with core temp and after burner (stable CPU and GPU)

Looking forward to some advice that can get me closer to a fix. Many, many thanks for thinking with me.

Daniel W.

PC SPECS

CPU        Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHZ (ovc 4.80 GHz)
RAM        32.0 GB; Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x16GB    
GPU        NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER; Gigabyte GeForce RTX Gaming OC 8G
MoBo      Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Power     Corsair RM750
Storage        1) 250 GB M.2 SATA: Samsung 970 EVOPlus (C:   WIN10);        2) 1 TB M.2 SATA: Samsung 860 EVO (E:   P3D and airport scenery);        3) 2 TB SATA: Samsung 860 QVO (D:   ORBX and general storage)

PLUGINS AND SOFTWARE RUNNING NEXT TO P3D

ActiveSKY for P3D v7338

TrackIR

UTlive (including FLAi package, it's on my list of suspects)

SPAD.next

VOLANTA beta (only using this since recently, crashes occurring before using this)

CP Flight driver (for MCP use)

SWVACARS (for flight logging VA)

Simlink (for Navigraph charts)

ADD ONS

AIRCRAFT: PMDG 737 NXGu base and 6/700 expansion; QW787 (don't use it)
ORBX: FTX global, FTX openLC NA and EU, FTX vector, Buildings HD
SCENERY: Flightbeam (KDEN, KSFO, KMSP, KPDX); LVFR (KRDU, KFLL, KMSY, KRSW, KBWI, KSNA); FlyTampa (KTPA, EHAM, OMDB); SXAD (KBNA, KHOU, KSAT, KAMA; Drzewiecki (KSEA, KMDW, KORD, KJFK, KLGA), FSdreamteam (KLAS, KLAX, KMEM); ORBX (KSAN, KBUR, KSJC), PacSim (KSLC, KRNO); Taxi2Gate (KSTL, KMCO, VHHH), Imaginesim (KATL, KAUS, WSSS), Cloudberry (KOAK) and some more I cannot recall at this time
SHADERS: ENVSHADE

LATEST EVENT VIEWER LOGS

.NET runtime error:

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] .NET Runtime

- EventID 1026
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-01-24T13:16:39.0597293Z

EventRecordID 10317

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 0
      [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-U8GG5SD

Security
- EventData
      Toepassing: Prepar3D.exe Framework-versie: v4.0.30319 Beschrijving: het proces is beëindigd als gevolg van een onverwerkte uitzondering. Uitzonderingsinformatie: uitzonderingscode c0000005, uitzonderingsadres 00007FFDB6A170B6

APPLICATION ERROR: 

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 100

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-01-24T13:16:42.4674012Z

EventRecordID 10318

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 0
      [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-U8GG5SD

Security
- EventData
      Prepar3D.exe
      5fb44f72
      g3d.dll
      5fb44f11
      c0000005
      00000000000370b6
      29b8
      01d6f24b05729dc0
      E:\Prepar3dv5\Prepar3D.exe
      E:\Prepar3dv5\g3d.dll

80ce61ac-2355-4d86-9618-092f04e1f8e6

Hi There!

I am sorry to see you struggling with P3D.

I would recommend you to do the following. First of all: Update your windows completely to 20H2 and install every update from Windows AND also check the optional suggested ones. Install them too.

Do NOT OC your GPU (Auto/Manual)! If you did, reset to default! OC GPU and P3D are not playing nicely together. 

1) Reinstall all VCRedist (download only from Microsoft Sites. Especially the 2017-2019 package and all the others you can get from there. Make sure you install both, x86 and x64, versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/topic/aktuelle-unterst%C3%BCtzte-downloads-f%C3%BCr-visual-c-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

2) Reinstall your Nvidia Driver. 

3) Clear P3D Shaders and let P3D build a new P3D.CFG file! Just delete the CFG file, P3D will build a new one with starting P3D.

Hope this does help. G2D and G3D are mostly Driver related issues. Don´t worry about the access violation! It is a common wide spread "information" but there are "tons" of causes throwing that message.

Good luck and veel plezier met vliegen! 

Groeten

Marcus (Frankfurt - Formally Utrecht/Nieuwegein ;-)) 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks for the tips.

I will work on them over the next couple of days.

Something else I noticed. Since the CTD incidence is too high for my taste, I enabled the FSUIPC autosave function with 20 mins intervals. On my system the freeze on such a save is nearly noticable so that's a plus. However, I think that the crashes that I am having might be related to the sim saving during flight. Today I had another crash at 18000 ft out of KDEN on my way to KRNO and this time it was the G2D.dll file that stopped. I rebooted, reloaded the sim and continued from such a saved states. Two were made one at 20:06 CET and one at 20:26 CET. Guess when the crash happened: 20:46 CET. 

I see a connection here. I have disabled the function for the time being, with me manually saving every 20 mins (sigh). 

I have to check whether windows is current. I believe it is, but I will recheck. My GPU is not overclocked. 

Never the less, gonna try out your tips, Marcus en onwijs bedankt.

Cheers.

OK, spent an evening behind the computer and as per your suggestions, Marcus, I have done the following:

1) Removed and completely reinstalled all Microsoft Visual C++ Redist packages

2) Reinstalled latest Nvidia driver (used DDU in safe mode for removal and then clean reinstall

3) Cleared shaders

4) Removed the P3D.cfg file and rebuild it.

No time yet to test but I will keep you guys in the loop! 

• Like 1

Today another g2d.dll crash without the autosave function turned on. I am really getting fed up with this. I am having CTD's now in every 4-5 flights. Any clues left?

G2D and G3D are graphics libraries. Try disabling your custom shaders.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I was having similar issues with these DLLs. I applied all the steps that have been suggested and reduced my graphics settings and it did help, but didn't completely fix it. I then ran Windows System File Checker (sfc /scannow from a cmd window with Administrator rights) and the associated DISM commands. It reported errors and automatically fixed them. Since then P3D v5.1 has not had any issues and I've been able to increase graphics settings up again. I have at least 100 add-ons for scenery, aircraft, gsx, etc. so it makes sense to me that a system file became corrupted with all those installations. Hopefully it works for you too!

Edited by retepnodrog

Pete Gordon

ASUS TUF Z370-Plus | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GTX 1080 |  1TB SSD

Thanks for all the advice in this thread,I am going to try everything!

So far with P3D 5.1 HF1, I have not been able to even get to the runway without a CTD (G2D, G3D, DXGI Hung ect ect). P3D V5 has so far almost destroyed any fun I used to have flight simming.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

On 2/22/2021 at 11:33 PM, rocketlaunch said:

Thanks for all the advice in this thread,I am going to try everything!

So far with P3D 5.1 HF1, I have not been able to even get to the runway without a CTD (G2D, G3D, DXGI Hung ect ect). P3D V5 has so far almost destroyed any fun I used to have flight simming.

Hi. Did you solve your problem with G2D.dll crashes?

i7 8700K @4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero | G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB @3700Mhz | ROG Strix OC RTX 3080 Ti