Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

So many airports, so few aircrafts......

Looking back at FSX, and all the payware and freeware aircraft I had for it, I had just about every make of aircraft I ever wanted, and more.

I would dearly love a Twin Otter, T-6 Texan / Harvard, the Carenado Apache and Navajo, and I am despearte for any type of 737 in any form (even a -100 would do for now! 😀).

But it took FSX ten years to get to that stage.  Hopefully, due to the amount of users for MSFS, this can be accelerated a bit.  

It is looking encouraging, and I think once things ahve settled a bit, we will see a surge of new aircraft.
At least (apart form the recent F-15) the pricing is a bit more sensible, so that is encouraging.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Looking back at FSX, and all the payware and freeware aircraft I had for it, I had just about every make of aircraft I ever wanted, and more.

I would dearly love a Twin Otter, T-6 Texan / Harvard, the Carenado Apache and Navajo, and I am despearte for any type of 737 in any form (even a -100 would do for now! 😀).

But it took FSX ten years to get to that stage.  Hopefully, due to the amount of users for MSFS, this can be accelerated a bit.  

It is looking encouraging, and I think once things ahve settled a bit, we will see a surge of new aircraft.
At least (apart form the recent F-15) the pricing is a bit more sensible, so that is encouraging.

you mean SPECIALY a B737-100!

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the multiple comparisons made with FSX. Last time I used FSX was seven years ago. Since that time, and even a bit before that time,  P3D and X-Plane, successfully evolved to a point that makes FSX feel like a piece of museum.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

5 minutes ago, edpatino said:

I'm surprised by the multiple comparisons made with FSX. Last time I used FSX was seven years ago. Since that time, and even a bit before that time,  P3D and X-Plane, successfully evolved to a point that makes FSX feel like a piece of museum.

Cheers, Ed

I was only comparing it in terms of how the multitude of aircraft gradually became available in FSX, not the technology - obviously MSFS is streets ahead in that department. 

I fired up FSX at the weekend and shut it down again after a few minutes - no comparison now.  It's understandable.  It was great in it's time though, especially with Steve's DX10 fixer etc.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I do not want much ...

just a Staggerwing, and a Lockheed Electra, Waco SRE, maybe a radial Stinson, oh and a Super Constellation if that is not too much to ask ...

but mainly Walter beech's beautiful type 17 Staggerwing

1944_Beechcraft1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I do not want much ...

just a Staggerwing, and a Lockheed Electra, Waco SRE, maybe a radial Stinson, oh and a Super Constellation if that is not too much to ask ...

You can get the payware Just Flight Electra (which was also a default plane in some versions of P3D) working in MSFS. You have to use some keyboard shortcuts or buttons for things since the cockpit isn't really clickable, but it does essentially work okay in the sim:

jtDwPfF.png

Not as good as having something made specifically for MSFS of course, but it does nevertheless make me wonder a bit about why some developers haven't revamped some of their older add-ons such as that Electra with a few tweaks to make em work better in MSFS, then knocked em out for a tenner or so. I'd happily buy the thing again at that price if it was made to be clickable in the VC and it doesn't seem too much of a difficult thing to do if you have the original development files, as JF presumably does.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

41 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I was only comparing it in terms of how the multitude of aircraft gradually became available in FSX, not the technology - obviously MSFS is streets ahead in that department. 

I fired up FSX at the weekend and shut it down again after a few minutes - no comparison now.  It's understandable.  It was great in it's time though, especially with Steve's DX10 fixer etc.

Sorry, but I was not pointing particularly at your original comment, which I of course respect very much.

It is my current thinking about a general feeling after reading numerous posts at Avsim in the last weeks. It seems that a gross amount of gamers or simmers are coming into the MSFS world right after FSX.

It is so funny, that two or three days ago it was another post here on Avsim showing pictures with a comparison of MSFS and FSX, so I asked myself where these people were living in the last seven years or so?. Did they know that P3D or X-P existed at all?.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Same thing here, I am a bit bored about MSFS at the moment, next week update will be about some place I don't feel a lot of excitement to fly over and possibly a small amount of minor fix. Next one will be in a month, where the most important thing will be G1000/G3000 improvement, on the other hand, we will see what WT can achieve in this time frame.

And tons of airports but nearly nothing about plane, the CRJ was delayed without new info.

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

Sorry, but I was not pointing particularly at your original comment, which I of course respect very much.

It is my current thinking about a general feeling after reading numerous posts at Avsim in the last weeks. It seems that a gross amount of gamers or simmers are coming into the MSFS world right after FSX.

It is so funny, that two or three days ago it was another post here on Avsim showing pictures with a comparison of MSFS and FSX, so I asked myself where these people were living in the last seven years or so?. Did they know that P3D or X-P existed at all?.

Cheers, Ed

I was in FSXSE with Steve's DX10 fixer until the 18th of August with 400 addons and it worked great with almost no Ooms or CTDs. And I had every plane that I wanted. Saw no reason to change sim until MSFS appeared.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We must not mistake the need for general user involvement, which requires tools like aircraft and panel maker from Abacus, just so that people can have fun making airplanes. I am 70 and would love to design some of my dream airplanes, but I can't because of the steep programming curve.  That's the purpose of an utility for a flight sim, to make some tasks easy. I do a lot of CAD, and appreciate how 3D design software has made life so much easier for product design and manufacturing. Many start as amateurs and decide to become serious developers, but an easy entry to aircraft development is not an affront to the high fidelity aircrafts and its users or developers. It's two different worlds living side by side. I remember when flying my single engine aircraft in some airports irritatated those " big airline" pilots who had forgotten how they got their first flying lessons.

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I do not want much ...

but mainly Walter beech's beautiful type 17 Staggerwing

1944_Beechcraft1.jpg

I could see Carenado doing that one since they have it in FSX

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

That is definitely me.

I quit civilian flightsims about 10 yeas ago because they seemed to be moving more and more into procedures and complex airliner ops, and whilst I respect people that are into that side of things and their commitment to it, I personally found it a bit like watching grass growing, repeating the same procedures over and over with aim of achieving the same result. 

I moved into military sims for a bit and created a lot of historical skin/liveries at one stage, then space sims but MSFS with its VFR capability and GA emphasis, albeit with sometimes outrageous flight models, has got me back into civilian sims again.

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I could see Carenado doing that one since they have it in FSX

Yes I flew it in FSX 😄

I have a thing for biplanes, especially radials.  In the original Il2 I was a huge fan of the Avia B534 and Gloucester Gladiator and spent a lot of time creating skins for them.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I agree and am done with buying all add-on AP's until some decent study level AC are released to fly between them...

I'm completely burnt out on low level sight seeing in GA and really want to get my hands on that PMDG NGX and hope the Flight One Citation Mustang comes over!

Heck I'll even take a semi-study Twotter from Aerosoft!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris Camp