Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

P-40B Tomahawk | Wookiee's Hanger (Big Radials)

hAwpZeFqHDIIbjaK2iIeCfOB1FFR7KhiDNfZi-bD

Do you have a vintage itch that needs scratching?

Are you sick of all the G[insert number] systems?

Do you just wanna #FlyTheDamnPlane?

Yea, so do we and we're very proud to annoucne that the development of a new, fully native aircraft for MSFS has started. No port over shenanigans here. The LEGENDARY P-40B Tomahawk!

i-n4rMNKJ-X4.png

Airplane will feature everything you would expect from an aircraft developed specifically for MSFS:

UHD exterior and interior model

FULL PBR 4K textures inside and out

Highly accurate flight mode

A soundscape powered by the new Wwise Engine Sound

Interactive checklists

Who? Big Radials

What? P-40B Tomahawk

Where? Exclusive for MSFS

When? 2021

i-5nQrSJ2-X4.png

We're also announcing a name change. Wookiee's Hanger will now be known by a new name: BIG RADIALS
i-c8Jst7G-M.png

Are you ready to #FlyTheDamnPlane?

• Like 17
  • Upvote 1

Seems a bit odd to make something powered by a liquid-cooled V-12 as a first project, then call yourselves Big Radials, but whatever. 😉

Anyway, good luck to all involved in developing it.

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Seems a bit odd to make something powered by a liquid-cooled V-12 as a first project, then call yourselves Big Radials, but whatever. 😉

Anyway, good luck to all involved in developing it.

Its true, we hesitated, but dont worry, next projects are ALL big radials 😄

• Like 4

It's a good name anyway. 😎

The P-40 is a great choice by the way. One of the better aeroplanes of early WW2 and well able to fight the A6M once pilots knew the best way to go about it. Tough too. The entire wing was one piece, with the floor of the cockpit actually being the top of the wing's skin making it structurally really strong; and unlike its main Jap adversary, it had fairly decent armour and self-sealing tanks, whereas the A6M was made of tin foil in order to give it a massive patrol range.

And of course it directly led to the development of the A36/P51 Apache/Mustang, when the Brits asked North American to license build the P-40 for them and NA said - 'nah, we can make something better than that for you, give us six months'. Then the Brits stuck the Merlin in it and we ended up with one of the best fighter planes of WW2, but before that, the P-40 was still a pretty good low altitude fighter/bomber.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

21 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

yea, that plane just talked to us more than the classic mustang or spitfire.

both over-rated due to being pretty and getting good press 

While the P51 was one of the worlds great airplanes, when you talk to some people you get the impression it could out-turn a biplane, could fly faster than 262 just by doing a powered dive, had 0.50 cal that did more damage than a revolving 30mm cannon and could fly New York to Moscow on a tank of fuel 😄

The P40 on the other hand is underrated, Australian Ace Clive Caldwell got his first 22 victories in a P40 over Africa and 10 of those 22 were bf109s and another 5 were Ju87s shot down in a single engagement.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/clive-killer-caldwell-aussie-ace.125/

Other under-rated allied WWII planes include the P47, Hawker Tempest and Lavochkin La-5 - all radials  😄

though speaking of radials I still want a Staggerwing eventually and of course the Super Constellation.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

😄

Other under-rated allied WWII planes include the P47, Hawker Tempest and Lavochkin La-5 - all radials  😄

though speaking of radials I still want a Staggerwing eventually and of course the Super Constellation.

we'll see what we can do 🙂 next ones will probably be less military oriented tho 🙂

Edited by leprechaunlive

42 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

we'll see what we can do 🙂 next ones will probably be less military oriented tho 🙂

Actually they all have military variants...

• Like 1

You can find the online manual for all of our planes here: https://bigradials.com/pages/documentation
Join us on discord and chat with all the other Big Radials fans: https://discord.gg/4UpzKVSSqZ

Yup, pretty much true, even the humble Cessna 172 is also the T-41 Mescalero.

Alan Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, pretty much true, even the humble Cessna 172 is also the T-41 Mescalero.

sure, but its not exactly a warbird lol

True, but then again, its big sister is...

Cessna Combat Caravan

If you are curious, that's the AC-208B. An armed version of the Cessna Caravan; it can fire AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, which is the main missile type used on the AH-64 Apache.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

4 hours ago, Chock said:

True, but then again, its big sister is...

Cessna Combat Caravan

If you are curious, that's the AC-208B. An armed version of the Cessna Caravan; it can fire AGM-114 Hellfire missiles, which is the main missile type used on the AH-64 Apache.

interesting 😄