Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

P-40B Tomahawk | Wookiee's Hanger (Big Radials)

48 minutes ago, Chock said:

Price tag is not-too-scary 25 quid (ish), so it compares favourably with the average Carenado add-on and other payware WW2 fighters for MSFS such as the Milviz Corsair and the Flying Iron Spit.

First impressions very good by the way. 🙂

It's $5 less than the stunning FG and $5 more than the FI Spit!

I have a feeling its build for...."casual user" even the FI spit is a step up from that and cheaper. If it does turn out to be targeted and is for the "casual user" then imo it should be more like $20.

Will look forward to your review Alan. Thank you for taking the time to do so. Lets see what you say about it. Hopefully it will have more to it than a "casual user" aircraft.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

19 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It's $5 less than the stunning FG and $5 more than the FI Spit!

I have a feeling its build for...."casual user" even the FI spit is a step up from that and cheaper. If it does turn out to be targeted and is for the "casual user" then imo it should be more like $20.

Will look forward to your review Alan. Thank you for taking the time to do so. Lets see what you say about it. Hopefully it will have more to it than a "casual user" aircraft.

We tried to make something that would suit everyone (excluding really hardcore simmers, if thats even a thing). However we plan to add on more system depths progressively. We will update this product regularely, with new goodies, liveries, bug fixes, improved systems and logic, etc. But as you said, lets wait and see what the mighty Chocks has to say about it 🙂

Edited by leprechaunlive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

65FIz3P.png

Review currently under way. people. That will be up on my channel this afternoon since it means I can avoid having to paint the outside of the house (lol, not really, Fifi will shout at me if I don't do that, but the painting is getting done after the review hahahaha).

The installation download file is a shade under 1.3Gb and comes down the pipe pretty speedily, expanding to 3.13Gb upon install, whereby it goes in the community folder, so yes, this does mean you can see the aircraft config file unlike with some add-ons, meaning you can faff about with it if you so desire. It includes a decent 34-page PDF manual to get you up and running in short order, plus another PDF detailing some interesting control peripheral gear you can get. You get seven paint jobs with it, these are a good spread of representative liveries including RAAF, AVG, Soviet etc, although as with most MSFS releases, expect the painters to have at this one in short order.

Price tag is not-too-scary 25 quid (ish), so it compares favourably with the average Carenado add-on and other payware WW2 fighters for MSFS such as the Milviz Corsair and the Flying Iron Spit.

First impressions very good by the way. 🙂

You've probably worked this out already, but if you double click the STL file then a preview of the CAD for those peripherals will open in Windows 3D viewer (or any other 3D software you might have loaded).

unknown.png

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

38 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I guess it's a tad moot while the CoG bug prevents the bundled Bush Trip from working but one of the scenary files it uses (according to the manual) has been maked as disabled on Flightsim.to and can't be downloaded
https://flightsim.to/file/3023/northway-and-chicken

Am sorry, you have completely lost me, please inlight me what effect this has on this aircraft, ty

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Am sorry, you have completely lost me, please inlight me what effect this has on this aircraft, ty

The plane includes a Bushtrip (which doesn't currently work due to an MSFS bug, but that's a separate issue).

According to the manual the bush trip uses two pieces of custom scenery

Tanacross TSG by Pontiac51 - https://flightsim.to/file/8922/tsg-tanacross and
Northway PAOR by DADGAMETIME - https://flightsim.to/file/3023/northway-and-chicken

Problem is that the second one of these has been disabled on Flightsim.to so can't be downloaded.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

The plane includes a Bushtrip (which doesn't currently work due to an MSFS bug, but that's a separate issue).

According to the manual the bush trip uses two pieces of custom scenery

Tanacross TSG by Pontiac51 - https://flightsim.to/file/8922/tsg-tanacross and
Northway PAOR by DADGAMETIME - https://flightsim.to/file/3023/northway-and-chicken

Problem is that the second one of these has been disabled on Flightsim.to so can't be downloaded.

we spotted that and think we found an alternative scenery, thanks for the feedback 🙂

1 hour ago, leprechaunlive said:

We tried to make something that would suit everyone (excluding really hardcore simmers, if thats even a thing). However we plan to add on more system depths progressively. We will update this product regularely, with new goodies, liveries, bug fixes, improved systems and logic, etc. But as you said, lets wait and see what the mighty Chocks has to say about it 🙂

As noted, first impressions are very good. It can potentially be a handful if you don't trim it properly, but if you do so, it flies very nicely and it is pleasing to note that it does things such as reacting realistically to flap deployment, pitching down quite considerably when you drop them for a landing, as you'd expect with something that has split flaps.

Visually it is very nice indeed, being a good model which gets the proportions nicely, although I think the pilot figure might be a bit on the small side, but I'm still looking at photographs to see if this is a legit criticism. Like a few other MSFS fighters such as the Flying Iron Mark IX, it does exhibit the anomaly of the clear canopy getting a bit of an overlay artifact when it slides back over the other transparency, but this is not really the fault of the developers and it isn't terribly bad anyway.

Sounds are great, right up there with the best of the best in fact, with a decent inertia starter whine and fire up sound, which develops into a pleasing engine sound that is very faithful to the real thing as anyone who has either seen a P40 for real, or even watched a youtube video of this, will easily confirm. The sound does also deaden when you close the canopy.

The cockpit is very nicely modeled and textured and it definitely 'puts you there' with regards to how it comes across when flying around and taxying. Ground handling is very good, so you can taxi it around with confidence, and so long as you use the proper technique for take off and give it a bit of right rudder trim and some nose up elevator trim, you will get it off the deck with no dramas.

Once it is in the air you can chuck it around with abandon and it flies very convincingly. The real thing was noted for having pretty light ailerons at high speeds and whilst this is something a flight sim cannot really emulate without force feedback controls, it does nevertheless give you a sense of this even without that luxury, so there are no complaints about the flight modeling.

The systems, such as they are on the P40, since it was a fairly simple aeroplane in this regard, are very well modeled. You can if you wish 'do things properly', such as operating the flaps and gear with the correct control actions, i.e. moving the levers, then activating the button on top of the stick to have them occur before moving the control back to neutral although this is a bit of a faff if you are using the mouse to do this unless you happen to have three hands lol. but more importantly, this kind of thing is indicative of the level of attention to detail which has gone into making this thing, so if you are a 'study sim' (TM) person, then you'll have to work had to find something to nitpick with this thing.

It's very easy to land although the flaps do require you to trim it out properly unless you like coming over the fence with no elevator authority left for the flare. If my radio controlled P40E - which I'm currently scratch-building - turns out half as well as this thing, I'll be a very happy camper.

Since I will admit I got a freebie version of this from Big Radials (thank you for that), it's difficult for me to comment on the pricing without sounding disingenuous, but I will have a go nonetheless:

At 25 quid, I would not be disappointed for having paid that (what Big Radials don't know is that I was gonna buy it anyway, so haha, they lost 25 quid there), but personally I think they'd have been nearer the mark at 20 quid; that's certainly not because I don't think it is worth 25 quid, I absolutely do, but rightly or wrongly, the P40 doesn't quite have that obsessive level of attraction that the Spitfire or Corsair engenders in a lot of people. And so dropping the price by a fiver might make more potential customers inclined to take a punt at it instead of going for a more well known WW2 type when price might be a factor on which buy now button they click on.

Connoisseurs of how much-maligned the P40 is in this legendary regard on the other hand  - there were well over 200 aces who flew the P40 - will of course appreciate having a P40 and just go for it. And how right they would be to do so, for if you like very finely-built and authentic-feeling warplanes for your sim, which even upon short acquaintance I can say has become very likeable, then this certainly does offer that experience.

Anyway, as noted, I'll be going into that a bit more on the vid which I'm gonna fire up to youtube later today, but in the interim if you ask me if I recommend it, then the answer is yes, this is one you will really like. And that's all the more remarkable for being the first outing for a new development team; so look out everybody, there's a new kid in town and he's got some moves.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Chock has spoken ladies and gentleman! 😄 ig guess the 1000 dollars i gave for his good words didnt go to waste then 😄

more seriously, it is very heartwarming to hear, after having worked so hard on it. it is our first effort at building anything really and fun fact, i had NEVER tried 3D modelling up until a year ago, let alone texturing. Second fun fact, this was develloped on a nearly 7 years old machine, with a 1050Ti, and 8Gb of RAM 😄

Thanks again Chock, im really glad we passed your test (i was very nervous 😄 )

Edited by leprechaunlive
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Chock as spoken ladies and gentleman! 😄 ig guess the 1000 dollars i gave for his good words didnt go to waste then 😄

more seriously, it is very heartwarming to hear, after having worked so hard on it. it is our first effort at building anything really and fun fact, i had NEVER tried 3D modelling up until a year ago, let alone texturing. Second fun fact, this was develloped on a nearly 7 years old machine, with a 1050Ti, and 8Gb of RAM 😄

Thanks again Chock, im really glad we passed your test (i was very nervous 😄 )

I'm guessing if it hadn't be a good review you'd have asked for your $1000 back AND billed him $35 the module 🙂

Edited by Matchstick

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

I'm guessing if it hadn't be a good review you'd have asked for your $1000 back AND billed him $35 the module 🙂

of course!

Just picked up the P40b.   Its a great looking plane.   Really like the sounds and the feel of it in flight.   One issue I'm having. It seems if I have the canopy open in flight I get Overstressed the aircraft and caused critical damage instant end flight.   I was wondering if anyone else got this and if thats normal.  Can you not fly this plane with an open canopy?  The checklist suggests an open canopy in flight on approach  was SOP. 

Edited by sergemodular

7 minutes ago, sergemodular said:

Just picked up the P40b.   Its a great looking plane.   Really like the sounds and the feel of it in flight.   One issue I'm having. It seems if I have the canopy open in flight I get Overstressed the aircraft and caused critical damage instant end flight.   I was wondering if anyone else got this and if thats normal.  Can you not fly this plane with an open canopy?  The checklist suggests an open canopy in flight on approach  was SOP. 

you can up until a certain speed. The crash détection is a little strange in msfs. To lead a better life, just get rid of it alltogether (the crash detection). But i understand that some people like that feature.